* XY and papersize
@ 2006-07-21 16:02 Claus, Matt - eSpeed
From: Claus, Matt - eSpeed @ 2006-07-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello - I recently discovered Context so let me first of all say a big
thank you to Hans for creating such an amazing piece of software and
making it available.

Now, the question - this works exactly as I expect:

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
\setuppapersize [XY][A4]
\setuppaper[nx=3,ny=10,dx=0mm,dy=0mm,topspace=5mm,backspace=5mm]
\setuplayout [location=middle]
\setuparranging [XY]
\showframe
\starttext \dorecurse{15}{test \recurselevel \page} \stoptext

However, when I change A4 to letter the output seems to introduce some
"dy".  I experimented with some other paper sizes including defining my
own and see inconsistent results.  Can anyone point out what I'm doing
incorrectly?

Thank you very much for any assistance,
Matt

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
\setuppapersize [XY][letter]
\setuppaper[nx=3,ny=10,dx=0mm,dy=0mm,topspace=5mm,backspace=5mm]
\setuplayout [location=middle]
\setuparranging [XY]
\showframe
\starttext \dorecurse{15}{test \recurselevel \page} \stoptext

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail, including its contents and attachments, if any, are confidential. If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message or disclose its contents to anybody else. Copyright and any other intellectual property rights in its contents are the sole property of eSpeed, Inc.
     E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.
     Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. We make no representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments. Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our customers and business, we may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).

For further important information, please see http://www.espeed.com/full-disclaimer.html

* Re: XY and papersize
@ 2006-07-24 10:03 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-07-24 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Claus, Matt - eSpeed wrote:

> However, when I change A4 to letter the output seems to introduce some
> "dy".  I experimented with some other paper sizes including defining my
> own and see inconsistent results.  Can anyone point out what I'm doing
> incorrectly?

It looks about right to me (using the latest context) but I could be
wrong. It might help to explictly define the "XY" paper size.

   \definepapersize[XY][width=2.5in,height=1in]

Taco

* Re: XY and papersize
       [not found] <44C4CF9E.2000200@elvenkind.com>
@ 2006-07-24 20:34 ` Matt Claus
From: Matt Claus @ 2006-07-24 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

To summarize, Taco kindly solved this problem after exchanging some messages
with me off list - thank you Taco.

The key is, when using a papersize other than the A4 default with XY, it is
necessary to first explicitly set the appropriate papersize.  This enables
the XY calculations to expand properly.

For example:

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setuppapersize [XY][letter]
\setuppaper[nx=3,ny=10,dx=2mm,dy=0mm,topspace=5mm,backspace=5mm]
\setuplayout [location=middle]
\setuparranging [XY]
\showframe
\starttext \dorecurse{30}{test} \stoptext

This is a very handy way to generate a centered layout for labels of any
size.  The spacing between the labels is easily controlled with dx and dy.

Thanks for the help solving this,
Matt