* Lucida Bright Font Problem
@ 2006-07-31  4:37 Helin Gai
From: Helin Gai @ 2006-07-31  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up ConTeXt to use the Lucida Bright Font. I've
already installed the font in the "LaTeX way" and it works pretty
well in LaTeX. But when I use the following:

\usetypescriptfile [type-buy]
\loadmapfile[texnansi-bh-lucida.map]
\usetypescript[lbr]%[texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lbr,11pt]

The font used in the document is still computer Modern. Does ConTeXt
require special setup? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sincerely,
Colin

* Re: Lucida Bright Font Problem
@ 2006-07-31  9:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-07-31  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Helin Gai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up ConTeXt to use the Lucida Bright Font. I've
> already installed the font in the "LaTeX way" and it works pretty
> well in LaTeX. But when I use the following:

As far as I know, using only this command should have worked:

   \setupbodyfont[lbr]
   \starttext
   lucida text
   \stoptext

But for some reason it doesn't work for me either.

Taco

* Re: Lucida Bright Font Problem
@ 2006-07-31  9:28   ` Helin Gai
From: Helin Gai @ 2006-07-31  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote a typescriptfile according to the manual of TeXfont (attached
below) and with the following code

\usetypescriptfile[lucida]
\definetypeface[lucida][rm][serif][lucida][default][encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface[lucida][ss][sans] [lucida][default][encoding=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt,rm]

Things do work... but i'm wondering whether there is an easier way...

Thanks.

Colin

\loadmapfile [texnansi-bh-lucida.map]

\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif] [LucidaBright]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic] [LucidaBright-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted] [LucidaBright-Oblique]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold] [LucidaBlackletter]
%\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [OfficinaSerif-BoldItalic]
%\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][OfficinaSerif-BoldSlanted]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps] [LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [sans] [lucida] [name]
\definefontsynonym[Sans] [LucidaSans]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic] [LucidaSans-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted] [LucidaSans-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold] [LucidaSans-Bold]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [LucidaSans-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][LucidaSans-BoldItalic]
%\definefontsynonym[SansCaps] [OfficinaSans-Caps]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaCalligraphy-Italic][texnansi-lbc]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-Demi][texnansi-lbd][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-DemiItalic][texnansi-lbdi]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi][texnansi-lbdsc]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaHandwriting-Italic][texnansi-lbh]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-Italic][texnansi-lbi][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaCasual-Italic][texnansi-lbki]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaCasual][texnansi-lbkr][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBlackletter][texnansi-lbl][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright][texnansi-lbr][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBrightSmallcaps][texnansi-lbrsc]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-Oblique][texnansi-lbsl]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaTypewriterBold][texnansi-lbtb]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique][texnansi-lbtbo]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaTypewriterOblique][texnansi-lbto]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaTypewriter][texnansi-lbtr][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaFax-Demi][texnansi-lfd][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaFax-DemiItalic][texnansi-lfdi]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaFax-Italic][texnansi-lfi][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaFax][texnansi-lfr][encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [sans] [lucida] [texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Bold][texnansi-lsb][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-BoldItalic][texnansi-lsbi]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Demi][texnansi-lsd][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-DemiItalic][texnansi-lsdi]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Italic][texnansi-lsi][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans][texnansi-lsr][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-TypewriterBold][texnansi-lstb]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-TypewriterBoldOblique][texnansi-lstbo]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-TypewriterOblique][texnansi-lsto]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Typewriter][texnansi-lstr]
[encoding=texnansi]

\stoptypescript

@ 2006-07-31  9:55     ` Helin Gai
From: Helin Gai @ 2006-07-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Problem Solved.

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy] % loads commercial font definitions
\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi] % defines a lucida typeface
\setupbodyfont[lucida,12pt]

This worked.

Colin

@ 2006-07-31 15:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-31 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Helin Gai wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up ConTeXt to use the Lucida Bright Font. I've
>> already installed the font in the "LaTeX way" and it works pretty
>> well in LaTeX. But when I use the following:
>>

> As far as I know, using only this command should have worked:
>
>    \setupbodyfont[lbr]
>    \starttext
>    lucida text
>    \stoptext
>
> But for some reason it doesn't work for me either.

type-pre should be loaded;

the modern way is:

\usetypescript[lucida][\defaultencoding]

\setupbodyfont[lucida]

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-07-31 15:14     ` Helin Gai
From: Helin Gai @ 2006-07-31 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Weird, the method you proposed actually doesn't work...

Sincerely,
Colin

@ 2006-07-31 16:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-31 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Helin Gai wrote:
> Weird, the method you proposed actually doesn't work...
>
> Sincerely,
> Colin
>
> On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:10 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>>> As far as I know, using only this command should have worked:
>>>
>>>    \setupbodyfont[lbr]
>>>    \starttext
>>>    lucida text
>>>    \stoptext
>>>
>>> But for some reason it doesn't work for me either.
>>>

>> type-pre should be loaded;
>>
>> the modern way is:

then add:

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

(is done in my cont-sys.tex)

>> \usetypescript[lucida][\defaultencoding]
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[lucida]

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-07-31 20:58     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-07-31 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/31/06, Helin Gai wrote:
> I wrote a typescriptfile according to the manual of TeXfont (attached
> below) and with the following code

OK, now I understand it. After some time of playing (before this
thread was started) I came out with some definitions like these:

% at least the basic ones which are needed for a document to compile properly
\definefontsynonym [lbmr] [hlcrm]   [encoding=default]
\definefontsynonym [lbmo] [hlcrima] [encoding=default]
\definefontsynonym [lbms] [hlcry]   [encoding=default]
\definefontsynonym [lbme] [hlcrv]   [encoding=default]
\definefontsynonym [lbma] [hlcra]   [encoding=default]

\definefontsynonym [texnansi-lbr]   [hlhr8y]  [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [texnansi-lbd]   [hlhb8y]  [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [texnansi-lbsl]  [hlhro8y] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [texnansi-lbi]   [hlhri8y] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [texnansi-lbdi]  [hlhbi8y] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [texnansi-lbrsc] [hlhrc8y] [encoding=texnansi]

\loadmapfile[lucida.map]
\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida]

But then again I didn't understand how it was possible that so many
people were using lucida without any problems. (And that it was only
me who had problems installing the font - I simply took all the files
from the "LaTeX world" and forgot about using texfont, which caused me
some headaches until now anyway.)

> \usetypescript[lucida][\defaultencoding]

Hmmm ... Yesterday I figured out that lucida doesn't support EC (ie.
doens't have enough glyphs to cover Slovenian and Croatian). I guess
that only texnansi is a sensible choice. :(

(I hoped that empty slots in Hans's manuals were a consequence of
faulty ec.enc files, but now I figured out that the font has indeed
many glhyps missing.)

Mojca

* Re: Lucida Bright Font Problem
@ 2006-07-31 21:38       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-31 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> But then again I didn't understand how it was possible that so many
> people were using lucida without any problems. (And that it was only
> me who had problems installing the font - I simply took all the files
> from the "LaTeX world" and forgot about using texfont, which caused me
> some headaches until now anyway.)

when i started using lucida (many years ago) they came with tfm files
(texnansi) abut nowadays i just generate the metrics with texfont

because yandy went away tug now sells the fonts, and as a result new
metrics for latex were made; i'm not sure with what (afm) files the
fonts ship nowadays but i'm not going to change/adapt my local setup
(too tricky) to different lucida spacing and metrics; the font metrics
zip has them

>> \usetypescript[lucida][\defaultencoding]
>>

> Hmmm ... Yesterday I figured out that lucida doesn't support EC (ie.
> doens't have enough glyphs to cover Slovenian and Croatian). I guess
> that only texnansi is a sensible choice. :(
>
> (I hoped that empty slots in Hans's manuals were a consequence of
> faulty ec.enc files, but now I figured out that the font has indeed
> many glhyps missing.)

my impression is that when ec was made nobody cared much about eastern european languages; for some reason the hardly (or once per doc) used copyright and registere symbols were considered to be of more importance, alas ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE