* Figure number off one time
@ 2006-08-01  1:54 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-01  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I would like to use:

\placefigure
[right][fig:pythagoras]
{An early portrait of Pythagoras.}
{\getbuffer[figure]}

And I would like to turn off the figure number in this caption, but
just for this graphic, not for any other I place. I want the number
off, but I want to keep the caption "An early portrait of Pythagoras."

The following didn't work.

\startbuffer[figure]
\setupcaptions[number=no]
\externalfigure[Pythagoras][width=4cm]
\stopbuffer

\placefigure
[right][fig:pythagoras]
{An early portrait of Pythagoras.}
{\getbuffer[figure]}
Pythagoras was a Greek mathematician and philosopher, born on the
island of
Samos somewhere near the year 582 BC. He founded a number of schools,
one in particular in a town in southern Italy called Crotone, whose
members eventually

Any ideas?

* Re: Figure number off one time
@ 2006-08-01  2:17 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> I would like to use:
>
> \placefigure
> [right][fig:pythagoras]
> {An early portrait of Pythagoras.}
> {\getbuffer[figure]}
>
> And I would like to turn off the figure number in this caption, but
> just for this graphic, not for any other I place. I want the number
> off, but I want to keep the caption "An early portrait of Pythagoras."
>
> The following didn't work.

Try

\start
  \setupcaptions[number=no]
  \placefigure
    [right]
%  [fig:pythagoras]
% If there is no number, you can not refer to it
  {An early portrait of Pythagoras.}
  {\getbuffer[figure]}
\stop

Basically \start \stop limit the effect of \setupcaptions. You can
also use \bgroup \egroup or { .. } instead. I find \start \stop more
Contexish.

Aditya

* Re: Figure number off one time
@ 2006-08-01  2:53   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-01  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya,

Most excellent. Thanks.

@ 2006-08-01  8:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-01  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, David Arnold wrote:
>

>> All,
>>
>> I would like to use:
>>
>> \placefigure
>> [right][fig:pythagoras]
>> {An early portrait of Pythagoras.}
>> {\getbuffer[figure]}
>>
>> And I would like to turn off the figure number in this caption, but
>> just for this graphic, not for any other I place. I want the number
>> off, but I want to keep the caption "An early portrait of Pythagoras."
>>
>> The following didn't work.
>>

> Try
>
> \start
>   \setupcaptions[number=no]
>   \placefigure
>     [right]
> %  [fig:pythagoras]
> % If there is no number, you can not refer to it
>   {An early portrait of Pythagoras.}
>   {\getbuffer[figure]}
> \stop
>
> Basically \start \stop limit the effect of \setupcaptions. You can
> also use \bgroup \egroup or { .. } instead. I find \start \stop more
> Contexish.

hey, how come you don't know the easy way ...

\placefigure[right,none]{An early portrait of Pythagoras.}{}

\placefigure[right,nonumber]{An early portrait of Pythagoras.}{}

\placefigure[right]{An early portrait of Pythagoras.}{}

it's david's turn to wikify this

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-01 16:12     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-01 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very nice. This worked well. Thanks Hans.

In connection with this same question, consider the small example
that follows. My thinking was that I would like to have a couple of
lines of the paragraph in the output, then let the rest of the
paragraph wrap around the figure positioned at the right of the page.
However, I get a paragraph break and an indent.

Workaround?

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\setupindenting[medium,yes]

\starttext

\section[sec:pythagoras]{The Pythagoreean Theorem}

Pythagoras was a Greek mathematician and philosopher, born on the
island of
Samos somewhere near the year 582 BC. He founded a number of schools,
one in
\placefigure
   [right,nonumber][fig:pythagoras]
   {Pythagoras.}
   {\externalfigure[Pythagoras][width=4cm]}
particular in a town in southern Italy called Crotone, whose members
eventually became known as the Pythagoreans. The inner circle at the
school, the {\em Mathematikoi}, lived at the school, rid themselves
of all personal possessions, were vegetarians, and observed a strict
vow of silence. They studied mathematics, philosophy, and music, and
held the belief that numbers constitute the true nature of things,
giving numbers a mystical or even spiritual quality.

Today, nothing is known of Pythagoras's writings, perhaps due to the
secrecy and silence of the Pythagorean society. However, one of the
most famous theorems in all of mathematics does bear his name, the
{\em Pythagorean Theorem.}

\stoptext

@ 2006-08-01 16:40       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting David Arnold <dwarnold45@cox.net>:

> Very nice. This worked well. Thanks Hans.
>
> In connection with this same question, consider the small example
> that follows. My thinking was that I would like to have a couple of
> lines of the paragraph in the output, then let the rest of the
> paragraph wrap around the figure positioned at the right of the page.
> However, I get a paragraph break and an indent.
>
> Workaround?

Use [....n*hang....] e.g.,

\starttext

\placefigure[right,nonumber,3*hang]
{Pythagoras}{\framed[width=4cm, height=2cm]{Test}}
\input tufte \input tufte

\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: Figure number off one time
@ 2006-08-01 17:12         ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-01 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya,

Excellent! Where do you learn this stuff?

@ 2006-08-01 17:45           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, David Arnold wrote:

> Aditya,
>
> Excellent! Where do you learn this stuff?

By reading Hans and Taco's mails on this list carefully :-)

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060104.104437.5ad3678a.en.html

Aditya

* Re: Figure number off one time
@ 2006-08-01 18:46       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Very nice. This worked well. Thanks Hans.
>
> In connection with this same question, consider the small example
> that follows. My thinking was that I would like to have a couple of
> lines of the paragraph in the output, then let the rest of the
> paragraph wrap around the figure positioned at the right of the page.
> However, I get a paragraph break and an indent.
>
> Workaround?

no workaround, just a feature:

\placefigure
   [right,nonumber,2*hang][fig:pythagoras]
   {Pythagoras.}
   {\externalfigure[Pythagoras][width=4cm]}

or

\placefigure
   [right,nonumber,2*line][fig:pythagoras]
   {Pythagoras.}
   {\externalfigure[Pythagoras][width=4cm]}

don't rely on this to work at page boundaries

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-01 18:47           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Aditya,
>
> Excellent! Where do you learn this stuff?

he's read the source -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE