* units: \spacedimensionstrue fails when using unit powers
@ 2006-08-02 19:47 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-08-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm considering switching from my units macros to the units module.  In
doing that I'm trying \spaceddimensionstrue (found in the m-units.tex
source), which is the most common convention in physics tables and
books, rather than using \Times to separate quantities with a dot.

But it seems not to take account of the exponent in the first unit when
putting space between the first and second units.  Here's a minimal
example:

\usemodule[units]
\spaceddimensionstrue

\starttext

% this looks fine
\startformula
\Meter\Second
\stopformula

% this needs a thinspace after the superscripted 2
\startformula
\Square\Meter\Second
\stopformula

\stoptext

* Re: units: \spacedimensionstrue fails when using unit powers
@ 2006-08-02 21:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-02 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> I'm considering switching from my units macros to the units module.  In
> doing that I'm trying \spaceddimensionstrue (found in the m-units.tex
> source), which is the most common convention in physics tables and
> books, rather than using \Times to separate quantities with a dot.
>
> But it seems not to take account of the exponent in the first unit when
> putting space between the first and second units.  Here's a minimal
> example:

actually this is a feature, it treats powers differently related to teh
\Per .. where one does not want extra space)

anyhow, could be an option

> \usemodule[units]
> \spaceddimensionstrue
>
> \starttext
>
> % this looks fine
> \startformula
> \Meter\Second
> \stopformula
>
> % this needs a thinspace after the superscripted 2
> \startformula
> \Square\Meter\Second
> \stopformula
>
> \stoptext