* Re: cdwincontext
       [not found] <mailman.189.1154628797.2039.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-08-03 21:18 ` wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-03 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If the batch file is still functionally equivalent, it would
> make sense to include it in the distribution. I vaguely recall
> that I had removed all of the 'smart' stuff from the batch
> file to please command.com, making it much less functional,
> but perhaps that is more an indication of how well I know
> command.com ;-)

As I remember, most, if not all of the smart stuff mentioned has to
do with automatic recognition of the install-directory.
All this smartness is nice, if things work. In the other cases
smartness is a jungle and it would be easier to check a dumb but
simple list of set commands. These batch-files for example are not
smart enough to recognize if they are running under the right command-
prozessor and a normal windows 98 user might be very helpless what
had gone wrong.

But the settings in scite had to be altered too.

Wolfgang

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-04  7:09   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-04  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
>>If the batch file is still functionally equivalent, it would
>>make sense to include it in the distribution. I vaguely recall
>>that I had removed all of the 'smart' stuff from the batch
>>file to please command.com, making it much less functional,
>>but perhaps that is more an indication of how well I know
>>command.com ;-)
>

> As I remember, most, if not all of the smart stuff mentioned has to
> do with automatic recognition of the install-directory.
> All this smartness is nice, if things work. In the other cases
> smartness is a jungle and it would be easier to check a dumb but
> simple list of set commands. These batch-files for example are not
> smart enough to recognize if they are running under the right command-
> prozessor and a normal windows 98 user might be very helpless what
> had gone wrong.

weren't you the one that said scripting languages were
like shooting a cannon? ;-)

> But the settings in scite had to be altered too.

Yes (using %COMMSPEC% like you said should work).

Taco

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2007-01-04  5:28   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2007-01-04  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,

Thanks. I'll wait to see if someone can come up with a file. If not,
I'll get back to you.

Anyone out there have an existing file for win98 that works?

On Jan 3, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:

>> Has anyone modified the batch file in cdwincontext so that it will
>> run on Windows98? If so, can I get a copy of the batch file?
>
> Yes, I have done this in the past. But I have updated my windows and
> deleted the old stuff. If nobody else has working files I can
> summarize, what I have done.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: cdwincontext
       [not found] <mailman.759.1167789439.3900.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-01-04  1:46 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-01-04  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone modified the batch file in cdwincontext so that it will
> run on Windows98? If so, can I get a copy of the batch file?

Yes, I have done this in the past. But I have updated my windows and
deleted the old stuff. If nobody else has working files I can
summarize, what I have done.

Wolfgang

* cdwincontext
@ 2007-01-02 17:14 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2007-01-02 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

@ 2006-08-03 19:52       ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-03 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tami Matsumoto

Taco, Hans,

This would be terrific if we had a working bat for Win98. My
colleague would be extremely happy.

Thanks for considering this.

On Aug 3, 2006, at 7:30 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>> If the batch file is still functionally equivalent, it would
>> make sense to include it in the distribution. I vaguely recall
>> that I had removed all of the 'smart' stuff from the batch
>> file to please command.com, making it much less functional,
>> but perhaps that is more an indication of how well I know
>> command.com ;-)
>>
> sure, we can add a working bat file as xxx-win98.bat or so
>
> Hans

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-03 14:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-03 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> If the batch file is still functionally equivalent, it would
> make sense to include it in the distribution. I vaguely recall
> that I had removed all of the 'smart' stuff from the batch
> file to please command.com, making it much less functional,
> but perhaps that is more an indication of how well I know
> command.com ;-)

sure, we can add a working bat file as xxx-win98.bat or so

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-03 13:45   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-03 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
>>>Same batch file, so yes.
>>>
>>>It would be possible to convert the batch file into a perl or
>>
>>ruby
>>
>>>scripts plus a one-line batch that starts the interpreter +
>>
>>script,
>

> Hmm,
>
> aren't you shutting with 'Kanonen auf Spatzen'?

Perhaps, but the advantage is that you don't have to aim :-)

> I have running the standalone-context here on WindowsME.
> I have modifyed the original batch-files a bit

If the batch file is still functionally equivalent, it would
make sense to include it in the distribution. I vaguely recall
that I had removed all of the 'smart' stuff from the batch
file to please command.com, making it much less functional,
but perhaps that is more an indication of how well I know
command.com ;-)

Cheers,
Taco

* Re: cdwincontext
       [not found] <mailman.175.1154588920.2039.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-08-03 10:10 ` wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-03 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Same batch file, so yes.
> >
> > It would be possible to convert the batch file into a perl or
> ruby
> > scripts plus a one-line batch that starts the interpreter +
> script,

Hmm,

aren't you shutting with 'Kanonen auf Spatzen'?

I have running the standalone-context here on WindowsME.
I have modifyed the original batch-files a bit and I had to adapt
some entrys in scite, where cmd.exe is called. (btw isn't it possible
to call the command interpreter via COMMSPEC? So the whole thing is
not depending on the command interpreter.)

Wolfgang

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-03  7:03         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-03  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> ... and even in that abnormal cases Taco somehow manages to get
> Windows 98 installed instead of XP ;)

Yeah, well, that was not a really smart move. ;-)

> But the problem was that changes to environmental variables were seen
> only locally, so it didn't make any sense at all. Do you indeed have
> any ideas how to set environmental variables inside of a ruby script,
> so that they would be seen from outside? Because that would solve a
> whole lot of problems in MikTeX.

The traditional trick is to start a new shell/command window inside
your script (last line). On Windows, I am more or less certain that
you can also store stuff in the registry is a way that is permanent.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-02 22:14       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-08-02 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/2/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> David Arnold wrote:
> > Taco,
> >
> > Is this also true about:
> >
> > http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswincontext.zip
>
> Same batch file, so yes.
>
> It would be possible to convert the batch file into a perl or ruby
> scripts plus a one-line batch that starts the interpreter + script,
> but not being on windows except in very abnormal cases

... and even in that abnormal cases Taco somehow manages to get
Windows 98 installed instead of XP ;)

> I am personally not very likely to do that.

Some time ago I was experimenting with ruby a bit: I tried to set some
environmental variables, so that MikTeX could gain some functionality
(MikTeX doesn't use that batch file and consequently "texexec --make
--all", "ctxtools --update", ... don't work because scripts don't know
where to place the files).

But the problem was that changes to environmental variables were seen
only locally, so it didn't make any sense at all. Do you indeed have
any ideas how to set environmental variables inside of a ruby script,
so that they would be seen from outside? Because that would solve a
whole lot of problems in MikTeX.

Saying that, something else came to my mind. Has anyone tried running
ConTeXt on MikTeX on Windows 98? That one doesn't need any batch
files. I don't know what will happen to files longer than 8
characters, but the rest might work.

Mojca

* Re: cdwincontext
       [not found] <mailman.171.1154549258.2039.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-08-02 21:46 ` wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-02 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone know if cdwincontext works with Windows98?

You have to adapt some batch-files (cmd.exe --> command.com)

Wolfgang

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-02 21:33       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-02 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> David Arnold wrote:
>
>> Taco,
>>
>> Is this also true about:
>>
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswincontext.zip
>>

> Same batch file, so yes.
>
> It would be possible to convert the batch file into a perl or ruby
> scripts plus a one-line batch that starts the interpreter + script,
> but not being on windows except in very abnormal cases, I am
> personally not very likely to do that.

much has to do with the size of the environment which is small under win98

in principle temfstart --tree=... texexec should be able to do the job but i have no win98 machine around any more

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-02 21:07     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-02 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tami Matsumoto

@ 2006-08-02 20:09   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tami Matsumoto

On Aug 2, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Does anyone know if cdwincontext works with Windows98?
>
> No, it doesn't work. Command.com is not smart enough
> to process setuptex.bat
>
> Taco

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-02 20:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-02 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> Does anyone know if cdwincontext works with Windows98?

dunno, but win98 is a bit outdated anyway ..

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: cdwincontext
@ 2006-08-02 19:28 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-08-02 18:27 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Does anyone know if cdwincontext works with Windows98?