Hi Andreas, Andreas Schneider wrote: > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote: > >> Somehow you yourself (and not texfont!) have created a font map >> file called bgj.map for dvips, and that file is wrong. > > > Hmm, I have created it just for LaTeX. Since it contains only entries > for ec-bgj* (without 'raw') it should not interfere with the other > mapfiles (created by texfont) which are for ec-raw-bgj* and > texnansi-raw-bgj* (with 'raw'), or am I mistaken? Anyway xdvi complains > about texnansi-raw-bgj* (see example below which I had already included > in one of my previous mails). There are two problems that I can see. There is only one that you can fix, and there is another problem that is a base texfont issue. The fixable problem first: If there is a virtual font, then dvi processors will recursively break it down into its constituents (those are the *-raw-* font metrics). Eventually, when there are no longer virtual fonts to resolve, it looks for the 'base' fonts in its map file. This process works in a similar fashion for all programs like pdftex, dvipdfmx, dvips, and xdvi, but texfont only creates a map file for pdftex. Unf, the pdftex map file cannot be used by dvips, so for dvips you have to create your own (like you did). When you create a map file for dvips for a texfont-installed font family, it needs to have those *-raw-* entries that will map the fonts to the real postscript font files on your harddisk, and those were missing from your bgj.map. Using the attached map file fragment, I can create a postscript file that has fi ligatures of your example in texnansi encoding using dvips. I have no xdvi here to try it, but that should work as well. The second problem: texfont simply does not 'do' EC correctly (at least not on my machine). There are simply no fi ligatures, not in pdftex either. I will investigate this further. Taco