* texfont produces faked ligatures with ec encoding
@ 2006-08-06  8:07 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-06  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

with the ec encoding, texfont produces faked ligatures, although the font
has real fi and fl ligatures. With the texnansi encoding and the same
commands, the ligatures are ok. (I checked this by compiling a simple
sample file, just changing \setupencoding[default=ec] to
\setupencoding[default=texnansi].) The font I'm trying to install is
Bitstream Elegant Garamond (bgj) which I have got from a CorelDraw CD. I
used the following commands to install the font (note that the fontroot is
set because I create a Debian package):

mkdir -p debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf
texfont --fontroot=debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf --vendor=bitstrea --collection=eleggar --encoding=texnansi --makepath --install

TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004

         encoding vector : texnansi
             vendor name : bitstrea
             source path : .
         font collection : eleggar
         texmf font root : debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf
         pdftex map file : texnansi-bitstrea-eleggar.map
             source path : .
        processing files : all on afm path
      locating afm files : using pattern *
           copying files : afm
                 copying : bgjb.afm
                 copying : bgjr.afm
                 copying : bgjri.afm
           copying files : pfb
                 copying : bgjb.pfb
                 copying : bgjr.pfb
                 copying : bgjri.pfb
          no map file at : debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/texnansi-bitstrea-eleggar.map

         font identifier : ElegantGaramondBT-Bold -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-bgjb (from bgjb)
       generating new vf : texnansi-bgjb (from texnansi-raw-bgjb)

         font identifier : ElegantGaramondBT-Roman -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-bgjr (from bgjr)
       generating new vf : texnansi-bgjr (from texnansi-raw-bgjr)

         font identifier : ElegantGaramondBT-Italic -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-bgjri (from bgjri)
       generating new vf : texnansi-bgjri (from texnansi-raw-bgjri)
       updating map file : texnansi-bitstrea-eleggar.map

              generating : ls-r databases

texfont --fontroot=debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf --vendor=bitstrea --collection=eleggar --encoding=ec --makepath --install

TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004

         encoding vector : ec
             vendor name : bitstrea
             source path : .
         font collection : eleggar
         texmf font root : debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf
         pdftex map file : ec-bitstrea-eleggar.map
             source path : .
        processing files : all on afm path
      locating afm files : using pattern *
           copying files : afm
                 copying : bgjb.afm
                 copying : bgjr.afm
                 copying : bgjri.afm
           copying files : pfb
                 copying : bgjb.pfb
                 copying : bgjr.pfb
                 copying : bgjri.pfb
          no map file at : debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-bitstrea-eleggar.map

         font identifier : ElegantGaramondBT-Bold -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : ec-raw-bgjb (from bgjb)
       generating new vf : ec-bgjb (from ec-raw-bgjb)

         font identifier : ElegantGaramondBT-Roman -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : ec-raw-bgjr (from bgjr)
       generating new vf : ec-bgjr (from ec-raw-bgjr)

         font identifier : ElegantGaramondBT-Italic -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : ec-raw-bgjri (from bgjri)
       generating new vf : ec-bgjri (from ec-raw-bgjri)
       updating map file : ec-bitstrea-eleggar.map

              generating : ls-r databases

rm -vf debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/ls-R
,,debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/ls-R" entfernt
mkdir -p debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/typescript
cp -v type-eleggar.tex debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/typescript/
,,type-eleggar.tex" -> ,,debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/typescript/type-eleggar.tex"
mkdir -p debian/font-elegantgaramond/etc/texmf/updmap.d
cp -v debian/10bgj.cfg debian/font-elegantgaramond/etc/texmf/updmap.d
,,debian/10bgj.cfg" -> ,,debian/font-elegantgaramond/etc/texmf/updmap.d/10bgj.cfg"
mkdir -p debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/bgj
cp -v *.map debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/bgj
,,bgj.map" -> ,,debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/bgj/bgj.map"
mkdir -p debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/bgj
cp -v *.fd debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/bgj
,,t1bgj.fd" -> ,,debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/bgj/t1bgj.fd"
mkdir -p debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/bgj
cp -v eleggar.sty debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/bgj
,,eleggar.sty" -> ,,debian/font-elegantgaramond/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/bgj/eleggar.sty"

The typescript I'm using is the following:

% Typescript for serif family Bitstream ElegantGaramond

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

% load map file
\starttypescript[map][eleggar][\defaultencoding]
   \loadmapfile[\defaultencoding-bitstrea-eleggar.map]
\stoptypescript

% mapping from PostScript name to TFM file name
\starttypescript[serif][eleggar][\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym[ElegantGaramondBT-Bold][\defaultencoding-bgjb][encoding=\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym[ElegantGaramondBT-Roman][\defaultencoding-bgjr][encoding=\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym[ElegantGaramondBT-Italic][\defaultencoding-bgjri][encoding=\defaultencoding]
\stoptypescript

% mapping from generic family name to PostScript name
\starttypescript[serif][eleggar][name]
   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
   \definefontsynonym[Serif]      [ElegantGaramondBT-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][ElegantGaramondBT-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]  [ElegantGaramondBT-Bold]
\stoptypescript

% family definition
\starttypescript [eleggar]
\definetypeface [eleggar] [rm] [serif] [eleggar] [default] [encoding=\defaultencoding]
\stoptypescript

What do I do wrong?

Thank you for your help

Andreas

* Re: texfont produces faked ligatures with ec encoding
@ 2006-08-06  9:52 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:

> What do I do wrong?

As far as I know, that should have worked. Did you run

   texexec ec-bitstrea-eleggar

? The first page should show a font table, and that may help
debugging (perhaps your local ec.enc is wrong)

Taco

* Re: texfont produces faked ligatures with ec encoding
@ 2006-08-06 15:00   ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-06 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> As far as I know, that should have worked. Did you run
>
>   texexec ec-bitstrea-eleggar
>
> ? The first page should show a font table, and that may help
> debugging (perhaps your local ec.enc is wrong)

Yes, I did. In the table you can find the real fi and fl ligatures at the
places 28 and 29 (1c and 1d), respectively. Under the table, under the
names ff, fi, fl, ffi and ffl, there are faked ligatures (particulary, fi
and fl are faked).

For comparison: In texnansi-bitstrea-eleggar.pdf, the table contains the
real fl and fi ligatures at the places 8 (08) and 12 (0c), respectively.
Below the table, in texnansi-bitstrea-eleggar.pdf there are the real fi
and fl ligatures under the names fi and fl, and ffi, ffl are faked of
f+fi, f+fl, respectively; ff is of course faked, since the font does not
contain an ff ligature.

I'm using a Debian 3.1 (sarge) system with tetex 3.0 from backports.org.

@ 2006-08-06 16:53 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.64.0608062211300.31615@rabat.Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.DE>
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread closely (so I have no idea if this
has already been solved), but I had a similar symptom a while ago. It
turned out that it was something with the default EC.enc that ships with
tetex. Can you try to do the conversion again, this time using lm-ec.enc
instead of EC.enc? I can send a longer explanation if that's of
interest, but I found that it solved the problem in my case.

Thomas

@ 2006-08-06 21:00     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 6, 2006, at 10:28 PM, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> Thanks for that hint. There is no file lm-ec.enc in my
> installation, but ec-var-lm.enc. If I add a --variant=var-lm to the
> parameters for texfont (or alternatively create a symbolic link
> ec.ec -> ec-var-lm.enc in my private texmf tree), then the
> ligatures work correctly! Unfortunately, umlauts don't work
> anymore, both typed directly (ä, ö, ü. ß, ...) and with the TeX
> commands ("a, "o, "u, "s, ...). Did you have problems with umlauts
> as well using lm-ec.enc? Maybe I should try cork.enc (--
> encoding=cork) instead? The main reason I want to install the font
> with ec encoding is that I also want to use it under LaTeX with the
> T1 encoding.

No, I never had problems with Umlauts. What you can also try is this:
if you open EC.enc, you'll find a couple of LIGKERN instructions at
the beginning of the file. These seem to confuse some utilities so
they don't include the default ligatures anymore. So what you can do:
just delete lines 1-27 of EC.enc, so the first line is
/ECEncoding [        % now 256 chars follow

Then save this new file in the directory where you run texfont so it
will be found first. You can discard it afterwards.

HTH

Thomas

@ 2006-08-06 21:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-06 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Sorry, I haven't followed this thread closely (so I have no idea if this
>> has already been solved), but I had a similar symptom a while ago. It
>> turned out that it was something with the default EC.enc that ships with
>> tetex. Can you try to do the conversion again, this time using lm-ec.enc
>> instead of EC.enc? I can send a longer explanation if that's of
>> interest, but I found that it solved the problem in my case.
>
> Thanks for that hint. There is no file lm-ec.enc in my installation,
> but ec-var-lm.enc. If I add a --variant=var-lm to the parameters for
> texfont (or alternatively create a symbolic link ec.ec ->
> ec-var-lm.enc in my private texmf tree), then the ligatures work
> correctly! Unfortunately, umlauts don't work anymore, both typed
> directly (�, �, �. �, ...) and with the TeX commands ("a, "o, "u, "s,
> ...). Did you have problems with umlauts as well using lm-ec.enc?
> Maybe I should try cork.enc (--encoding=cork) instead? The main reason
> I want to install the font with ec encoding is that I also want to use
> it under LaTeX with the T1 encoding.
that vector was meant for the version of latin modern that had special umlaut characters (these were dropped in later versions)

Hans

@ 2006-08-06 23:22     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-08-06 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/6/06, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> > Sorry, I haven't followed this thread closely (so I have no idea if this
> > has already been solved), but I had a similar symptom a while ago. It
> > turned out that it was something with the default EC.enc that ships with
> > tetex. Can you try to do the conversion again, this time using lm-ec.enc
> > instead of EC.enc? I can send a longer explanation if that's of
> > interest, but I found that it solved the problem in my case.
>
> Thanks for that hint. There is no file lm-ec.enc in my installation

Hmmm ... how old is your ConTeXt then?
You should install the new verision of Latin Modern, but recent
version of ConTeXt doesn't work with the old version of Latin Modern.

> but
> ec-var-lm.enc. If I add a --variant=var-lm to the parameters for texfont
> (or alternatively create a symbolic link ec.ec -> ec-var-lm.enc in my
> private texmf tree), then the ligatures work correctly! Unfortunately,
> umlauts don't work anymore, both typed directly (ä, ö, ü. ß, ...) and with
> the TeX commands ("a, "o, "u, "s, ...). Did you have problems with umlauts
> as well using lm-ec.enc? Maybe I should try cork.enc (--encoding=cork)
> instead?

Cork won't help you. It's just as bad as ec.enc (they're just synonyms
- both are old and kind-of-obsolete, but nobody wants to modernise
them; they say that you have to write your own for the usage with
recent fonts).

You can try if you'll have more luck with this one (should be more or
less equivalent with ec-lm.enc if you would have the latest version of
LM installed):
    http://www.tug.org/fontname/tex256.enc

ec.enc would give you way too many missing glyphs anyway.

Mojca

* Re: texfont produces faked ligatures with ec encoding
@ 2006-08-07  7:59       ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-07  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> No, I never had problems with Umlauts.

Now I've found lm-ec.enc in another texmf tree. When I copy lm-ec.enc to
the directory where I run texfont, it works fine.

> What you can also try is this: if you open EC.enc, you'll find a couple
> of LIGKERN instructions at the beginning of the file. These seem to
> confuse some utilities so they don't include the default ligatures
> anymore. So what you can do: just delete lines 1-27 of EC.enc, so the
> first line is
> /ECEncoding [        % now 256 chars follow
>
> Then save this new file in the directory where you run texfont so it
> will be found first. You can discard it afterwards.

With this trick, it works as well.

Thanks for your help

@ 2006-08-07  8:29         ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-07  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Now I've found lm-ec.enc in another texmf tree. When I copy lm-ec.enc to
> the directory where I run texfont, it works fine.

Unfortunately it only works with pdftex, i.e. texexec --pdf and pdflatex.
With texexec or latex it does not work. For example, if I run texexec over
the simple sample file

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\mainlanguage[de]
\language[de]
\enableregime[windows]

\setupencoding[default=ec]
%\loadmapfile[ec-bitstrea-eleggar.map]
\usetypescriptfile[type-eleggar]
\usetypescript[eleggar]
\setupbodyfont[eleggar,11pt]

\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

\starttext

Dies ist ein Text, der in ElegantGaramond erscheinen soll.
Er enthält auch {\it kursive} und {\bf fette} Teile.

{\em Hervorgehoben}

Einige Zeichen: "`, "', --, "<, ">
Ligaturen: fi, fl, ff, ffi, ffl
Aufgelöste Ligaturen: f"|i, f"|l

Umlaute: ä, ö, ü, ß, Ä, Ö, Ü; "a, "o, "u, "s

\stoptext

it doesn't complain, but xdvi gives error messages like

xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 228 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 18 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 16 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 21 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 19 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 20 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 28 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 29 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 246 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 252 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 255 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 214 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 220 is mapped to .notdef in font ec-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.

and ligatures and umlauts are not displayed. With the texnansi encoding, I
get similar results:

xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 228 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 132 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 147 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 150 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 12 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 8 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 246 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 252 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 223 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 214 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.
xdvi.bin: Warning: Character 220 is mapped to .notdef in font texnansi-raw-bgjr (page 1), replacing by whitespace.

How can I solve this? (Since I've got a postscript printer, I would like
to have tex -> dvi -> ps working.)

@ 2006-08-07  8:42           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:

> it doesn't complain, but xdvi gives error messages like

My guess is that you have to copy the final <ec.enc> file you used
to the folder where dvips (and xdvi, which looks in the same
place normally) looks for encoding files.

Cheers,
Taco

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-07 12:34             ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-07 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Andreas Schneider wrote:
>> but xdvi gives error messages like [...]
>
> My guess is that you have to copy the final <ec.enc> file you used
> to the folder where dvips (and xdvi, which looks in the same
> place normally) looks for encoding files.

I created a symlink in my private texmf tree (ec.enc -> lm-ec.enc) and ran
texhash, and after that it was all the same. Anyway, this would not
explain why I have the same symptom with the texnansi encoding, too.

Maybe it helps debugging that dvips gives different error messages:

This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.08.07:1402' -> schrift.ps
<tex.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>. <bgjb.pfb><bgjri.pfb><bgjr.pfb>
Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `pi' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `product' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `ffl' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `ffi' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `ff' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `dotlessj' undefined
[1]

Also I get a slightly different result: With gv I can see some umlauts in
the postscript file (ä, ö, ü work, but ß does not). Instead of the
ligatures there are only spaces.

@ 2006-08-07 13:25           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-07 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
> \mainlanguage[de]
> \language[de]
> \enableregime[windows]
>
> \setupencoding[default=ec]
> %\loadmapfile[ec-bitstrea-eleggar.map]
> \usetypescriptfile[type-eleggar]
> \usetypescript[eleggar]
> \setupbodyfont[eleggar,11pt]
>
> \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]
>
> \starttext
since you're typesetting german ... why not using the texnansi encoding instead of the flawed ec encoding?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texfont: font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-08  7:14             ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-08  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
> since you're typesetting german ... why not using the texnansi encoding
> instead of the flawed ec encoding?

The problem is that it doesn't work with the texnansi encoding either.
See my last mails.

Andreas

* Re: texfont: font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-08  8:05               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-08  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> since you're typesetting german ... why not using the texnansi encoding
>> instead of the flawed ec encoding?
>>

> The problem is that it doesn't work with the texnansi encoding either.
> See my last mails.

if the problem is in a font not having glyphs, you can consider making a  special encoding vector + enco-* file; not that complex since one can start with an existing one

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-08  8:33                 ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-08  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
> if the problem is in a font not having glyphs, you can consider making a
> special encoding vector + enco-* file; not that complex since one can
> start with an existing one

The problem is that it does work with pdftex (tex -> pdf via
texexec --pdf), but it does NOT work with tex -> dvi -> ps via
texexec, dvips (some glyphs, such as ligatures and umlauts, don't
work in the latter case). It should be possible to get it working,
as fontinst is able to do it, so I don't know why I should need an
extra encoding.

Andreas

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-08  8:56                   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-08  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>if the problem is in a font not having glyphs, you can consider making a
>>special encoding vector + enco-* file; not that complex since one can
>>start with an existing one
>

> The problem is that it does work with pdftex (tex -> pdf via
> texexec --pdf), but it does NOT work with tex -> dvi -> ps via
> texexec, dvips (some glyphs, such as ligatures and umlauts, don't
> work in the latter case). It should be possible to get it working,
> as fontinst is able to do it, so I don't know why I should need an
> extra encoding.

Somehow you yourself (and not texfont!) have created a font map
file called bgj.map for dvips, and that file is wrong.

@ 2006-08-08 19:27                     ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Somehow you yourself (and not texfont!) have created a font map
> file called bgj.map for dvips, and that file is wrong.

Hmm, I have created it just for LaTeX. Since it contains only entries for
ec-bgj* (without 'raw') it should not interfere with the other mapfiles
(created by texfont) which are for ec-raw-bgj* and texnansi-raw-bgj* (with
'raw'), or am I mistaken? Anyway xdvi complains about texnansi-raw-bgj*
(see example below which I had already included in one of my previous
mails).

Andreas

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\mainlanguage[de]
\language[de]
\enableregime[windows]

[...]

@ 2006-08-08 21:26                       ` Taco Hoekwater
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-08 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Somehow you yourself (and not texfont!) have created a font map
>> file called bgj.map for dvips, and that file is wrong.
>

> Hmm, I have created it just for LaTeX. Since it contains only entries
> for ec-bgj* (without 'raw') it should not interfere with the other
> mapfiles (created by texfont) which are for ec-raw-bgj* and
> texnansi-raw-bgj* (with 'raw'), or am I mistaken? Anyway xdvi complains
> about texnansi-raw-bgj* (see example below which I had already included
> in one of my previous mails).

There are two problems that I can see. There is only one that you
can fix, and there is another problem that is a base texfont
issue.

The fixable problem first:

If there is a virtual font, then dvi processors will recursively
break it down into its constituents (those are the *-raw-* font
metrics). Eventually, when there are no longer virtual fonts to
resolve, it looks for the 'base' fonts in its map file.

This process works in a similar fashion for all programs like
pdftex, dvipdfmx, dvips, and xdvi, but texfont only creates a
map file for pdftex. Unf, the pdftex map file cannot be used by
dvips, so for dvips you have to create your own (like you did).

When you create a map file for dvips for a texfont-installed
font family, it needs to have those *-raw-* entries that will
map the fonts to the real postscript font files on your harddisk,
and those were missing from your bgj.map.

Using the attached map file fragment, I can create a postscript file
that has fi ligatures of your example in texnansi encoding using
dvips. I have no xdvi here to try it, but that should work as well.

The second problem:

texfont simply does not 'do' EC correctly (at least not on my machine).
There are simply no fi ligatures, not in pdftex either. I will
investigate this further.

Taco

[-- Attachment #2: texnansi-bgj.map --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 301 bytes --]

texnansi-raw-bgjb ElegantGaramondBT-Bold    "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <bgjb.pfb
texnansi-raw-bgjr ElegantGaramondBT-Roman   "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <bgjr.pfb
texnansi-raw-bgjri ElegantGaramondBT-Italic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <bgjri.pfb

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-08 21:46                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> The second problem:
>
> texfont simply does not 'do' EC correctly (at least not on my machine).
> There are simply no fi ligatures, not in pdftex either. I will
> investigate this further.
how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
existing ligs into account

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-08 21:50                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-08 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> When you create a map file for dvips for a texfont-installed
> font family, it needs to have those *-raw-* entries that will
> map the fonts to the real postscript font files on your harddisk,
> and those were missing from your bgj.map.
the reason why i create the map files the way we do is that i want to prevent pdftex to be too clever in sharing font resources (thre are versions out there that assume sequivalent "Names" to always equivalent which is not always true (think of slanted or extended fonts)

(i've been bitten too often by that so i play safe)

it is no problem to add that entry optionally (grep for cleanfont in texexec.pl; to tired to see the light now)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-08 21:57                           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-08 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>The second problem:
>>
>>texfont simply does not 'do' EC correctly (at least not on my machine).
>>There are simply no fi ligatures, not in pdftex either. I will
>>investigate this further.
>
> how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
> existing ligs into account

Just as bad (here, at least). I'll get back to you about this tomorrow,
it is too late for me to do serious work.

@ 2006-08-09  5:29                             ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-09  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
>> existing ligs into account
>
> Just as bad (here, at least). I'll get back to you about this
> tomorrow,
> it is too late for me to do serious work.

I've experimented with afm2pl, and as I wrote in an earlier mail: the
beginning of EC.enc with its additional LIGKERN instructions confuses
it so it will not include default ligatures. If you delete this, it
will work. If you use lm-ec.enc (which has a number of mistakes fixed
anyway), it works. BUT afm2pl needs a file default.lig which is not
present in all TeX distributions. I asked Siep a couple of months
ago, and he replied there was a switch to ignore default.lig, but in
that case, the default ligs would have to be supplied by texfont
itself (which should be doable). IMHO, texfont should switch to
afm2pl by default; it's much better at preserving kerning information
(Adam, any thoughts on this?), and it makes virtual fonts
unnecessary. I now use it regularly for all my font needs and am very
satisfied with it.

Best

Thomas

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-09 10:21                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-09 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>> how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
>>> existing ligs into account
>>>
>> Just as bad (here, at least). I'll get back to you about this
>> tomorrow,
>> it is too late for me to do serious work.
>>

> I've experimented with afm2pl, and as I wrote in an earlier mail: the
> beginning of EC.enc with its additional LIGKERN instructions confuses

well, we can consider to let texfont use a ec-fixed encoding for afm2tfm
and the regular ec encoding for the rest

--afmencoding=ec-fixed

or so

> it so it will not include default ligatures. If you delete this, it
> will work. If you use lm-ec.enc (which has a number of mistakes fixed
> anyway), it works. BUT afm2pl needs a file default.lig which is not
> present in all TeX distributions. I asked Siep a couple of months
> ago, and he replied there was a switch to ignore default.lig, but in

she
> that case, the default ligs would have to be supplied by texfont
> itself (which should be doable). IMHO, texfont should switch to
> afm2pl by default; it's much better at preserving kerning information
> (Adam, any thoughts on this?), and it makes virtual fonts
> unnecessary. I now use it regularly for all my font needs and am very
> satisfied with it.

for a while afm2pl was the default, but then it suddenly defaulted to latex default (em) spacing which ruined a project here because that went unnoticed and resulted in incompatible output, so it made me more careful; i'm not sure to what extend afm2pl uses the same default for the fontdimen related things as afm2tfm

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-09 11:33                                 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> well, we can consider to let texfont use a ec-fixed encoding for
> afm2tfm and the regular ec encoding for the rest
>
> --afmencoding=ec-fixed
>
> or so

or fix afm2pl.

> for a while afm2pl was the default, but then it suddenly defaulted to
> latex default (em) spacing which ruined a project here because that
> went unnoticed and resulted in incompatible output, so it made me
> more careful; i'm not sure to what extend afm2pl uses the same
> default for the fontdimen related things as afm2tfm

from the afm2pl documentation:

   -f font_dimensions

afm2tfm compatible settings would be something like

   -f 300,100,0,1000,

But as of 0.702

   -f afm2tfm is also accepted

@ 2006-08-09 13:58                               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-09 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>>how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
>>>existing ligs into account
>>
>>Just as bad (here, at least). I'll get back to you about this
>>tomorrow,
>>it is too late for me to do serious work.
>>

> I've experimented with afm2pl, and as I wrote in an earlier mail: the
> beginning of EC.enc with its additional LIGKERN instructions confuses
> it so it will not include default ligatures.

As it turns out, this is the same for afm2tfm. And to make matters
even more confusing, I had the following problem: At one point,
I had copied EC.enc to the current directory and fixed it. However,
it still didn't work, because:

   [taco@glenlivet new]$ ls *.enc
   EC.enc

   [taco@glenlivet new]$ kpsewhich --progname=dvips ec.enc
   /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/base/EC.enc

because of a line in /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/aliases :-/

Either way, it seems that this LIGKERN interpretation that
overrules the afm file is actually considered a feature. The
sane way out seems to be to ship our own encoding files in

   fonts/enc/texfont

or so.

@ 2006-08-09 14:14                                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-09 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> because of a line in /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/aliases :-/

ah, the dreadful aliases file ... in tex live they're gone ; let's hope
that this aliases fiel does not contain anything related to context tex
files (patterns for instance)

> Either way, it seems that this LIGKERN interpretation that
> overrules the afm file is actually considered a feature. The
> sane way out seems to be to ship our own encoding files in
>
>    fonts/enc/texfont
>
> or so.

hm, we can let texfont search for a texfont-ec file first (the map file
can still refer to the normal one i suppose)

(an alternative is to let texfont copy the ec.enc file to the local
path, remove the messy lines, and remove that one afterwards)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-09 14:29                                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 9, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> I've experimented with afm2pl, and as I wrote in an earlier mail: the
>> beginning of EC.enc with its additional LIGKERN instructions confuses
>> it so it will not include default ligatures.
>
> As it turns out, this is the same for afm2tfm. And to make matters
> even more confusing, I had the following problem: At one point,
> I had copied EC.enc to the current directory and fixed it. However,
> it still didn't work, because:
>
>    [taco@glenlivet new]$ ls *.enc
>    EC.enc
>
>    [taco@glenlivet new]$ kpsewhich --progname=dvips ec.enc
>    /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/base/EC.enc
>
> because of a line in /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/aliases :-/
>

> Either way, it seems that this LIGKERN interpretation that
> overrules the afm file is actually considered a feature. The
> sane way out seems to be to ship our own encoding files in
>
>    fonts/enc/texfont
>
> or so.
>
> Taco

Yes, I have a dim recollection that afm2tfm has the same problem.
Isn't lm-ec.enc the better choice anyway? Couldn't we make texfont
default to lm-ec.enc when it is called with --en=EC?

And for the LIGKERN: yes, I asked about them on the tex-fonts list a
while ago, and nobody considered them a problem. IMHO, they're
totally useless or even worse, but I received the same ol' answers:
can't change that, it's legacy etc. I think Mojca knows something
about this as well. So my suggestion would be: make ec a synonym for
lm-ec in texfont (but then, because of one or to glyphnames, lm-
ec.enc has to be in the mapfile as well).

Thomas

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-09 14:52                                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-09 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> And for the LIGKERN: yes, I asked about them on the tex-fonts list a
> while ago, and nobody considered them a problem. IMHO, they're
> totally useless or even worse, but I received the same ol' answers:
> can't change that, it's legacy etc. I think Mojca knows something

indeed, not even broken things are fixed; i wonner what those ol' users
are doing with their patterns since i expect an update in patterns to
have more consequences than a fix in fonts
> about this as well. So my suggestion would be: make ec a synonym for
> lm-ec in texfont (but then, because of one or to glyphnames, lm-
> ec.enc has to be in the mapfile as well).

i see, interesting; before we do that, can you check if we can/need to
do the same with texnansi, qx, etc ?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-09 15:44                                     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 9, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i see, interesting; before we do that, can you check if we can/need to
> do the same with texnansi, qx, etc ?
>
> Hans

texnansi is OK, in my experience, and qx as well. t5 also has some
LIGKERN instructions at the beginning, but doesn't have f-ligatures
in its character set, AFAICS, so this should work as well. I can run
some texts this weekend (if you want) and see what comes up.

Thomas

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-11  9:34                         ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-11  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> This process works in a similar fashion for all programs like
> pdftex, dvipdfmx, dvips, and xdvi, but texfont only creates a
> map file for pdftex. Unf, the pdftex map file cannot be used by
> dvips, so for dvips you have to create your own (like you did).
>
> When you create a map file for dvips for a texfont-installed
> font family, it needs to have those *-raw-* entries that will
> map the fonts to the real postscript font files on your harddisk,
> and those were missing from your bgj.map.
>
> Using the attached map file fragment, I can create a postscript file
> that has fi ligatures of your example in texnansi encoding using
> dvips. I have no xdvi here to try it, but that should work as well.

Thanks a lot, with that it works now (with the texnansi encoding)! These
facts should be mentioned in the docs.

I also have created another map file ec-bgj.map with the entries

ec-raw-bgjb  ElegantGaramondBT-Bold   "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <bgjb.pfb
ec-raw-bgjr  ElegantGaramondBT-Roman  "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <bgjr.pfb
ec-raw-bgjri ElegantGaramondBT-Italic "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <bgjri.pfb

With that and the ec encoding the document is shown correctly with xdvi.
dvips seems to work correctly as well:

This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.08.11:1041' -> schrift.ps
<tex.pro><lm-ec.enc><texps.pro>. <bgjb.pfb><bgjri.pfb><bgjr.pfb>[1]

But gv gives an error when I try to view the ps file:

Error: /undefined in ECEncoding
Operand stack:
    Fa   139   --nostringval--   29   13   --nostringval--   28   38   101   --nostringval--   3   91.3242   --nostringval--   91.3242   0
Execution stack:
    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
    --dict:1051/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:73/200(L)--   --dict:80/300(L)--   --dict:10/12(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
GPL Ghostscript 8.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

My printer does not print it either. Maybe the reason is that I use
lm-ec.enc, but ECEncoding is defined in EC.enc which is slightly
different.

> The second problem:
>
> texfont simply does not 'do' EC correctly (at least not on my machine).
> There are simply no fi ligatures, not in pdftex either. I will
> investigate this further.

On my machine the font works without problems with pdftex (texexec --pdf)
and the ec encoding, ligatures and umlauts are okay.

Andreas

* Re: texfont: installed font only works with pdftex
@ 2006-08-11  9:59                           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-11  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Thanks a lot, with that it works now (with the texnansi encoding)! These
> facts should be mentioned in the docs.

The next version of texfont will create a dvips and dvipdfmx map file
as well as a pdftex one, making life a bit easier.

> But gv gives an error when I try to view the ps file:
>
> Error: /undefined in ECEncoding

This is error is because lm-ec.enc does not name its encoding
"ECEncoding " but "enclmec ", so you have to change the ReEncode
strings in the map file.

Best,

@ 2006-08-11 10:33                             ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2006-08-11 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Andreas Schneider wrote:
>> Thanks a lot, with that it works now (with the texnansi encoding)! These
>> facts should be mentioned in the docs.
>
> The next version of texfont will create a dvips and dvipdfmx map file
> as well as a pdftex one, making life a bit easier.

Good!

>> But gv gives an error when I try to view the ps file:
>>
>> Error: /undefined in ECEncoding
>
> This is error is because lm-ec.enc does not name its encoding
> "ECEncoding " but "enclmec", so you have to change the ReEncode
> strings in the map file.

Ah, thanks again, with that it now works perfectly.

Andreas