* Problem with external graphics
@ 2006-08-09 20:10 The Wizard
From: The Wizard @ 2006-08-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

All -
    I am experiencing some strange behavior with external graphics. I
use one file to setup all the graphics for later inclusion. All that is
in the file is a bunch of "\useexternalgraphics" statements, so I can
reference the graphics by name later. The problem comes when I try to
use "\placefigure" instead of "\externalfigure". Here is an example:

Figure setup:

\useexternalfigure[Figure 1][Figure1][scale=520,type=pdf,factr=broad]
% This sets up the file 'Figure1.pdf' for later inclusion

If I then reference it using

\externalfigure[Figure 1]

the figure is included at the spot following the text, and fits on the
remainder of the page, which is what I want. But if I try to add a
caption to it by using

\placefigure
[force][]
{}
{\externalfigure[Figure 1][Figure 1]}

the figure gets the caption, but always is placed on the top of the
following page. Why is this?

--
Mark Almeida                             mark.almeida@sun.com
Solutions Architect                      (707)398-9524/x81132

* Re: Problem with external graphics
@ 2006-08-09 20:26 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

What happens with \placefigure[here]{none}{\externalfigure[Figure1]} ?

Renaud

@ 2006-08-09 21:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-09 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Wizard wrote:
> All -
>     I am experiencing some strange behavior with external graphics. I
> use one file to setup all the graphics for later inclusion. All that is
> in the file is a bunch of "\useexternalgraphics" statements, so I can
> reference the graphics by name later. The problem comes when I try to
> use "\placefigure" instead of "\externalfigure". Here is an example:
>
> Figure setup:
>
> \useexternalfigure[Figure 1][Figure1][scale=520,type=pdf,factr=broad]
> % This sets up the file 'Figure1.pdf' for later inclusion
>
> If I then reference it using
>
> \externalfigure[Figure 1]
>
> the figure is included at the spot following the text, and fits on the
> remainder of the page, which is what I want. But if I try to add a
> caption to it by using
>
> \placefigure
> [force][]
> {}
> {\externalfigure[Figure 1][Figure 1]}
>
> the figure gets the caption, but always is placed on the top of the
> following page. Why is this?

because it dos not fit (spacing around it,

\placefigure
[force,none][]
{}
{\externalfigure[Figure 1][Figure 1]}

may help

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-09 22:27   ` The Wizard
From: The Wizard @ 2006-08-09 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> The Wizard wrote:
>
>> All -
>>     I am experiencing some strange behavior with external graphics. I
>> use one file to setup all the graphics for later inclusion. All that is
>> in the file is a bunch of "\useexternalgraphics" statements, so I can
>> reference the graphics by name later. The problem comes when I try to
>> use "\placefigure" instead of "\externalfigure". Here is an example:
>>
>> Figure setup:
>>
>> \useexternalfigure[Figure 1][Figure1][scale=520,type=pdf,factr=broad]
>> % This sets up the file 'Figure1.pdf' for later inclusion
>>
>> If I then reference it using
>>
>> \externalfigure[Figure 1]
>>
>> the figure is included at the spot following the text, and fits on the
>> remainder of the page, which is what I want. But if I try to add a
>> caption to it by using
>>
>> \placefigure
>> [force][]
>> {}
>> {\externalfigure[Figure 1][Figure 1]}
>>
>> the figure gets the caption, but always is placed on the top of the
>> following page. Why is this?
>>

> because it dos not fit (spacing around it,
>
> \placefigure
> [force,none][]
> {}
> {\externalfigure[Figure 1][Figure 1]}
>

> may help

Hans -
    I tried this solution, the result is still the same. Is there an
easy way to find out why it doesn't fit? Does adding the caption cause
it to require more space?

I also tried the answer offered by Renaud,
"\placefigure[here]{none}{\externalfigure[Figure1]}", which results in
no figure at all.

--

@ 2006-08-10  6:48     ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-10  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Wizard a écrit :

>I also tried the answer offered by Renaud,
>"\placefigure[here]{none}{\externalfigure[Figure1]}", which results in
>no figure at all.

adapt Figure1 -> Figure 1 according to your useexternalfigure declaration...

\placefigure[here]{none}{\externalfigure[Figure1]

An example from a document of mine:

\useexternalfigure[largeur][nofile][width=.5\textwidth]
\useexternalfigure[slime][src/images/slime][largeur]

\placefigure[here][fig:ssrI]{Robot \SSR-I ({\sc
Hirose})}{\externalfigure[slime]}

Cheers,

Renaud