* some questions
@ 2006-08-12 21:03 wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-12 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo!

After reading some manuals, I have some questions.
May be I have not understand it right.

Try the following example:
---------------------------
\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
How can I use the brace-key right?
\starttable[| \{ |]
\NC no braces \SR
\stoptable

What I am doing wrong here?
\starttable[ o1 | C{red} |]
\VL red \VL\SR
\stoptable
red too!

Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?
\stoptext
------------------------

Wolfgang

* Re: some questions
@ 2006-08-12 22:57 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> After reading some manuals, I have some questions.
> May be I have not understand it right.
>
> Try the following example:
> ---------------------------
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \starttext
> How can I use the brace-key right?
> \starttable[| \{ |]

the wiki entry is not that clear ("enclose the column in braces").
\{ is a just a grouping command (which directly gives a solution for
your second answer)

Use
  [| a{\{}b{\}} |]

to add "braces"

> \NC no braces \SR
> \stoptable
>
> What I am doing wrong here?
> \starttable[ o1 | C{red} |]

                    \{C{red}

Salve, Peter

> \VL red \VL\SR
> \stoptable
> red too!
>
> Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?
> \stoptext

* Re: some questions
@ 2006-08-13 13:37   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-13 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
>> Hallo!
>>
>> After reading some manuals, I have some questions.
>> May be I have not understand it right.
>>
>> Try the following example:
>> ---------------------------
>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>> \starttext
>> How can I use the brace-key right?
>> \starttable[| \{ |]
>
> the wiki entry is not that clear ("enclose the column in braces").
> \{ is a just a grouping command (which directly gives a solution for
> your second answer)
>
> Use
>   [| a{\{}b{\}} |]
>
> to add "braces"
>
>> \NC no braces \SR
>> \stoptable
>>
>> What I am doing wrong here?
>> \starttable[ o1 | C{red} |]
>
>                     \{C{red}
>
> Salve, Peter
>
>> \VL red \VL\SR
>> \stoptable
>> red too!
>>
>> Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?

I can't give you a satisfying answer for this, but

Should'nt \expandafter\type\expandafter{\arg{bla}} be \type{{bla}}?

gives

Should’nt \dohandlemathtokenarg{bla} be {bla}?

(so I guess the answer is probably no)

Peter

>> \stoptext

* Re: Some questions
@ 2013-01-26  7:18     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-01-26  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:17:38 +0100
Alain Delmotte <esperanto@swing.be> wrote:

> Waiting the book announced by Alan

A manual *only* describing the chemical macros...
perhaps to be considered as a chapter of the official documentation...

Alan

* Re: Some questions
@ 2013-01-25 19:17   ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2013-01-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 25/01/2013 15:47, Marco Patzer a écrit :
> On 2013–01–25 Alain Delmotte wrote:
>>   - The example at the bottom of page 11 and page 12 gives me an
>> error:
>>   ! Argument of \head has an extra }.
>
> \starttext
> \startitemize
>    \starthead kraamschudden\hfill (child welcoming) \stophead
[...]
>      Abraham or a Sarah. Speculaas is a kind of hard spiced biscuit.
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext

Thanks, it works.

>> - The tables pages 30-31-32-35 are not at the right position on the
>> page, mostly they are to the right and not centered.
>
> I did not try all example, but this seems to work here. Can you
> provide a minimal example and say what you expect to be different?

In another example before, the locations for floats was
changed to right and so all tables where to the right,
except the last which had a location=left.

>> - The chemical formulae give an error (pages 37-38), but I'll come
>> back to that later on, but what is the manual about it?
>
> Hans and Alan are in the process of completely re-writing the
> chemical macros. I don't know the current state.

OK I'll wait

>> - The boxes on page 45, second example are not at the right
>> position, particularly the second is on the same line as the first.
>> \leftaligned
>> {\inframed[width=fit]{People in Hasselt}}
>> \midaligned
>> {\inframed[height=1.5cm,frame=off]{have a}}
>> \rightaligned
>> {\inframed[background=screen]{historic background}}
>
> In MkIV there's a new syntax you can use:
>
> \startlinealignment [left]
>    \inframed[width=fit]{People in Hasselt}
> \stoplinealignment
>
> \startlinealignment [middle]
>    \inframed[height=1.5cm,frame=on]{have a}
> \stoplinealignment
>
> \startlinealignment [right]
>    \inframed[background=screen]{historic background}
> \stoplinealignment
>
> I did not investigate why the middle alignment is on the same line
> as the left alignment and if that's intended or not.

OK, it works, but I do not get the result of the book, I'll
investigate.

>> What are the up todate manuals for MkIV?
>
> I'm afraid there are none (and probably never will be). The wiki
> improved an awful lot during the last months, especially the command
> reference. There's also the revised manual, tex.stackexchange and of
> course the mailing list.

Waiting the book announced by Alan, I'll try to use the wiki
and existing modified books.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Alain

* Re: Some questions
@ 2013-01-25 15:00   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-01-25 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:47:56 +0100
Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com> wrote:

> > - The chemical formulae give an error (pages 37-38), but I'll come
> > back to that later on, but what is the manual about it?
>
> Hans and Alan are in the process of completely re-writing the
> chemical macros. I don't know the current state.

I have written a new manual that will be made available (soon),
once I manage to find some time with Hans to finish a few points...

I see that in the example from the ConTeXt Excursion manual, PB:...PE currently gives some errors.
I will look into this this weekend (I prefer to use SAVE...RESTORE, but I see that it is indeed
important to keep PB:...PE working to insure some backwards compatibility).

Alan

* Re: Some questions
@ 2013-01-25 14:47 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-01-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–01–25 Alain Delmotte wrote:

>  I think it is for mkII and I use mkIV and that there has been many
> changes in between.

Indeed.

>  - The example at the bottom of page 11 and page 12 gives me an
> error:
>  ! Argument of \head has an extra }.

\starttext
\startitemize
  \starthead kraamschudden\hfill (child welcoming) \stophead
    When a child is born the neighbours come to visit the new
    parents. The women come to admire the baby and the men come to
    judge the baby (if it is a boy) if he will become a strong man.
    The neighbours will bring a {\em krentenwegge} along. A
    krentenwegge is a loaf of currant bread of about \unit{1 meter}
    long. Of course the birth is celebrated with {\em jenever}.
  \starthead nabuurschap (naberschop) \hfill (neighbourship) \stophead
    Smaller communities used to be very dependent on the
    cooperation among the members for their well being. Members of
    the {\em nabuurschap} helped each other in difficult times
    during harvest times, funerals or any hardship that fell upon
    the community.
  \starthead Abraham \& Sarah \hfill (identical) \stophead
    When people turn 50 in Hasselt it is said that they see Abraham
    or Sarah. The custom is to give these people a {\em speculaas}
    Abraham or a Sarah. Speculaas is a kind of hard spiced biscuit.
\stopitemize
\stoptext

> - The tables pages 30-31-32-35 are not at the right position on the
> page, mostly they are to the right and not centered.

I did not try all example, but this seems to work here. Can you
provide a minimal example and say what you expect to be different?

> - The chemical formulae give an error (pages 37-38), but I'll come
> back to that later on, but what is the manual about it?

Hans and Alan are in the process of completely re-writing the
chemical macros. I don't know the current state.

> - The boxes on page 45, second example are not at the right
> position, particularly the second is on the same line as the first.
> \leftaligned
> {\inframed[width=fit]{People in Hasselt}}
> \midaligned
> {\inframed[height=1.5cm,frame=off]{have a}}
> \rightaligned
> {\inframed[background=screen]{historic background}}

In MkIV there's a new syntax you can use:

\startlinealignment [left]
  \inframed[width=fit]{People in Hasselt}
\stoplinealignment

\startlinealignment [middle]
  \inframed[height=1.5cm,frame=on]{have a}
\stoplinealignment

\startlinealignment [right]
  \inframed[background=screen]{historic background}
\stoplinealignment

I did not investigate why the middle alignment is on the same line
as the left alignment and if that's intended or not.

> What are the up todate manuals for MkIV?

I'm afraid there are none (and probably never will be). The wiki
improved an awful lot during the last months, especially the command
reference. There's also the revised manual, tex.stackexchange and of
course the mailing list.

Marco

* Some questions
@ 2013-01-25 13:49 Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2013-01-25 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liste ConTeXt

  Hi,

  Now some questions to solve the problems I have when I try
to follow the "tutorial" "ConTeXt an excursion".
  I think it is for mkII and I use mkIV and that there has
been many changes in between.

  - The example at the bottom of page 11 and page 12 gives
me an error:
  ! Argument of \head has an extra }.

system          > tex > error on line 52 in file
travail.tex: Argument of  ...

42     Hasselt lies in the province of Overijssel and there
are a number of customs that are typical of this province.
43     \startitemize
44     \head kraamschudden \hfill (child welcoming)
45     When a child is born the neighbours come to visit the
new parents. The women come to admire the baby and the men
come to judge the baby (if it is a boy) if he will become a
strong man.
46     The neighbours will bring a {\em krentenwegge} along.
A krentenwegge is a loaf of currant bread of about 1 \Meter\
long. Of course the birth is celebrated with {\em jenever}.
47     \head nabuurschap (naberschop) \hfill (neighbourship)
48     Smaller communities used to be very dependent on the
cooperation among the members for their well being. Members
of the {\em nabuurschap} helped each other in difficult
times during harvest times, funerals or any hardship that
fell upon the community.
49     \head Abraham \& Sarah  \hfill (identical)
50     When people turn 50 in Hasselt it is said that they
see Abraham or Sarah. The custom is to give these people a
{\em speculaas} Abraham or a Sarah. Speculaas is a kind of
hard spiced biscuit.
51     \stopitemize
52 >>

- The tables pages 30-31-32-35 are not at the right position
on the page, mostly they are to the right and not centered.

- The chemical formulae give an error (pages 37-38), but
I'll come back to that later on, but what is the manual
about it?

- The boxes on page 45, second example are not at the right
position, particularly the second is on the same line as the
first.
\leftaligned
{\inframed[width=fit]{People in Hasselt}}
\midaligned
{\inframed[height=1.5cm,frame=off]{have a}}
\rightaligned
{\inframed[background=screen]{historic background}}

What are the up todate manuals for MkIV?

OK It's enough bothering you for the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Alain Delmotte

* Re: some questions
@ 2006-08-15  9:08   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-15  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:

>>I can't give you a satisfying answer for this, but
>>
>>Should'nt \expandafter\type\expandafter{\arg{bla}} be
>>\type{{bla}}?
>>
>>gives
>>
>>Should?nt \dohandlemathtokenarg{bla} be {bla}?
>>
>>(so I guess the answer is probably no)
>

> \arg is one of the verbatim macros, like \type, \typ, \tex
> and is describte in 'cont-enp.pdf' on page 101.

Well, \arg is also defined in math-tex.tex:

   \definemathcommand [arg]     [nolop] {\mfunction{arg}}

So there is a double definition.

Taco

* Re: some questions
       [not found] <mailman.1.1155549602.30697.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-08-15  9:06 ` wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-15  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?
>
> I can't give you a satisfying answer for this, but
>
> Should'nt \expandafter\type\expandafter{\arg{bla}} be
> \type{{bla}}?
>
> gives
>
> Should?nt \dohandlemathtokenarg{bla} be {bla}?
>
> (so I guess the answer is probably no)

\arg is one of the verbatim macros, like \type, \typ, \tex
and is describte in 'cont-enp.pdf' on page 101.

The description looks a bit incomplete: (the command encloses the
text with .)
(Can someone, with the right to do that, add this to the list of
typos, please?)

The definition of \arg is in 'core-ver.tex' and copying this
in a separate file works as expected:

\starttext
\unprotect
\def\setgroupedtype
  {\let\currenttypingclass\??ty
   \initializetype
   \catcode`\{=\@@begingroup
   \catcode`\}=\@@endgroup}

\unexpanded\def\arg{%
\groupedcommand{\setgroupedtype\leftargument}{\rightargument}}
\protect
\arg{bla}
\stoptext

So there must something be damaged.

Wolfgang

* Re: some questions
@ 2006-08-13 23:07   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-13 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
>>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>>> \starttext
>>> How can I use the brace-key right?
>>> \starttable[| \{ |]
>> the wiki entry is not that clear ("enclose the column in braces").
>> \{ is a just a grouping command (which directly gives a solution
>> for
>> your second answer)
>>
>> Use
>>   [| a{\{}b{\}} |]
>>
>> to add "braces"
>>
>>> \NC no braces \SR
>>> \stoptable
>>>
>>> What I am doing wrong here?
>>> \starttable[ o1 | C{red} |]
>>                     \{C{red}
>
> Ahh! I see!
> So '\{' is a table command NOT a FormatKey?
>
> But why is '\{' introduced in 'thrd-tab.tex' with
> \NewFormatKey \{{..} as a primitive key?
>
> The wikiwriter has obviously used this source too.

Sorry, I don't know.

>>> Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?
>
> \arg{bla} gives me 'argbla'!

I have no idea what it is used for. Using it in math environment
$\arg{bla}$ gives me

"arg {\it bla}"

which is much better than 'argbla'. I guess it's a math only macro.

Greetings, Peter

> Wolfgang

* Re: some questions
       [not found] <mailman.1.1155463203.3247.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-08-13 21:24 ` wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-13 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > \setupcolors[state=start]
> > \starttext
> > How can I use the brace-key right?
> > \starttable[| \{ |]
>
> the wiki entry is not that clear ("enclose the column in braces").
> \{ is a just a grouping command (which directly gives a solution
> for
> your second answer)
>
> Use
>   [| a{\{}b{\}} |]
>
> to add "braces"
>
> > \NC no braces \SR
> > \stoptable
> >
> > What I am doing wrong here?
> > \starttable[ o1 | C{red} |]
>
>                     \{C{red}

Ahh! I see!
So '\{' is a table command NOT a FormatKey?

But why is '\{' introduced in 'thrd-tab.tex' with
\NewFormatKey \{{..} as a primitive key?

The wikiwriter has obviously used this source too.

> > Should'nt \arg{bla} be \type{{bla}}?

\arg{bla} gives me 'argbla'!

Wolfgang

* Re: Some questions
@ 2000-06-05 10:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-05 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:17 AM 6/5/2000 -0700, David Arnold wrote:

>\setuphead
> [chapter,section]
> [style=\bfb,
>  before=,
>  after={\blank[3*medium]},
>  align={right,broad},
>  number=no]
>
>What does before=, accomplish? Why not just write

before is only used when one does not force a new page (with page=...).
When a section comes after a chapter, the before is executed, but the
biggest white space (if set) takes precedence.

>What would be the difference? Also, align={right,broad}. I know what right
>does, but what does broad add in this case?

It influences the last line as well as more alignments in a row (more
homogenous).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Some questions
@ 2000-06-05  7:17 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2000-06-05  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans, All,

I've seen this before:

\setuphead
 [chapter,section]
 [style=\bfb,
  before=,
  after={\blank[3*medium]},
  align={right,broad},
  number=no]

What does before=, accomplish? Why not just write

\setuphead
 [chapter,section]
 [style=\bfb,
  after={\blank[3*medium]},
  align={right,broad},
  number=no]

What would be the difference? Also, align={right,broad}. I know what right
does, but what does broad add in this case?

-
David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222

My Home Page
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/index.htm

Ordinary Differential Equations Using Matlab
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html