* Floats Method
       [not found] <mailman.153.1154467877.2039.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-08-02  8:39 ` wwl
From: wwl @ 2006-08-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo!

In \setupfloats[] what exactly is the difference between textmethod
and sidemethod?

Compared with the gridsize, why does a 1 point window (method=2) help
when typesetting on grids?

Isn't 1% (method=1) much more in the most cases than 1 point?

Wolfgang

* Snapping sectionhead
From: wwl @ 2006-08-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo!

While I was reading 'In the Details' to learn more about grid-
typesetting, I could not comprehend the examples with
grid={broad,...}.

Then in section 1.8 I read that grid=line should be a shortcut for
grid={broad,high,depth}.

But these two variants gave me not the same result!

Try

\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\definehead[Demo][section]
\setuphead[Demo][style=\bfb,
                 before=\blank,
                 after=\blank,
                 grid={broad,high,depth}]
%\setuphead[Demo][style=\bfb,before=\blank,after=\blank,grid=line]
\showgrid
\starttext
\Demo{Agathe}
Bla blubber
\stoptext

Hmm!

Wolfgang

* Re: Floats Method
@ 2006-08-13  7:46   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-13  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> In \setupfloats[] what exactly is the difference between textmethod
> and sidemethod?

textmethod is used for floats inside the text flow, sidemethod for
sidefloats.

> Compared with the gridsize, why does a 1 point window (method=2) help
> when typesetting on grids?

I assume it corrects for the \lineskip glue.

> Isn't 1% (method=1) much more in the most cases than 1 point?

Yes it would be. Perhaps that one is because of \maxdepth,
but I am only guessing. The fact that there are two methods
could be simply a trial-and-error left over.

Taco

* Re: Snapping sectionhead
@ 2006-08-13  7:52   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> While I was reading 'In the Details' to learn more about grid-
> typesetting, I could not comprehend the examples with
> grid={broad,...}.
>
> Then in section 1.8 I read that grid=line should be a shortcut for
> grid={broad,high,depth}.

Section 1.8 deals \exclusively with \externalfigure. Apparently
the grid option for sectioning commands is handled differently.

Taco

* Re: Floats Method
@ 2006-08-14 20:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-14 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> wwl@musensturm.de wrote:
>
>> Hallo!
>>
>> In \setupfloats[] what exactly is the difference between textmethod
>> and sidemethod?
>>

> textmethod is used for floats inside the text flow, sidemethod for
> sidefloats.
>

>> Compared with the gridsize, why does a 1 point window (method=2) help
>> when typesetting on grids?
>>

> I assume it corrects for the \lineskip glue.
>

>> Isn't 1% (method=1) much more in the most cases than 1 point?
>>

> Yes it would be. Perhaps that one is because of \maxdepth,
> but I am only guessing. The fact that there are two methods
> could be simply a trial-and-error left over.

kind of; depending on the way a document is set up, rounding errors play a role, so the 1pt is taking care if that, while the .99 is th eold method; tricky stuff anyway

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE