* layout question
@ 2006-08-18 15:24 richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

i have a simple (?) layout question. I want to typeset a doublesided
text with a larger margin on one side. This margin will be filled with
'margin images' or 'margin remarks'. But sometimes, larger images have
to be placed in the text+margin.

Which commands, options or setups are correct, to get the same results
on odd and even pages? In the attached pdf file,  odd and even pages
behave different, using a simple setup (see tex file).

richard

Richard Rascher-Friesenhausen
MeVis -- Centrum fuer Medizinische Diagnosesysteme und Visualisierung GmbH
Universitaetsallee 29
D-28359 Bremen

email: richard@mevis.de, richard.rascher-friesenhausen@hs-bremerhaven.de
www  : http://www.mevis.de/, http://www.hs-bremerhaven.de/
fon  : +49 - 421 - 218 7707 (mevis)
fax  : +49 - 421 - 218 4236 (mevis)

[-- Attachment #2: layout-test.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1799 bytes --]

% output=pdf
%=======================================================================
% begin of file *layout-test.tex*
%=======================================================================
% richard@mevis.de

% layout
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout[leftmargin=0.5in,rightmargin=2.3in,textwidth=5in]
\setuplayout[width=fit,
             backspace=\dimexpr(\leftmarginwidth+\leftmargindistance)]

%=======================================================================
\starttext
%=======================================================================
The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
\placefigure[inmargin]{a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

An now a larger image in the text and margin are
\placefigure[here,inmargin]{a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text}
\input tufte

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\page
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
\placefigure[inmargin]{a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

An now a larger image in the text and margin are
\placefigure[here,inmargin]{a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text}
\input tufte

%=======================================================================
\stoptext
%=======================================================================
% end of file *layout-test.tex*
%=======================================================================

[-- Attachment #3: layout-test.pdf --]

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-18 16:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-18 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a simple (?) layout question. I want to typeset a doublesided
> text with a larger margin on one side. This margin will be filled with
> 'margin images' or 'margin remarks'. But sometimes, larger images have
> to be placed in the text+margin.
>
> Which commands, options or setups are correct, to get the same results
> on odd and even pages? In the attached pdf file,  odd and even pages
> behave different, using a simple setup (see tex file).

it's dangerous to use dimensions in \setuplayout that get set themselves

also, textwidth is for special purposed and special effects, not to be
used here (spoils things)

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout
  [width=middle,
   backspace=.75in,
   curspace=2.55in,
   leftmargin=.50in,
   margindistance=.25in,
   rightmargin=2.3in]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]

\starttext

The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.

\placefigure
  [inright]{a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

An now a larger image in the text and margin are

\placefigure
  [here,inright]{a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page

The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.

\placefigure
  [inright]
  {a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\rightmarginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

An now a larger image in the text and margin are

\placefigure
  [here,inright]
  {a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-21 10:12   ` richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-21 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have a simple (?) layout question. I want to typeset a doublesided
>> text with a larger margin on one side. This margin will be filled with
>> 'margin images' or 'margin remarks'. But sometimes, larger images have
>> to be placed in the text+margin.
>>
>> Which commands, options or setups are correct, to get the same results
>> on odd and even pages? In the attached pdf file,  odd and even pages
>> behave different, using a simple setup (see tex file).
>>

> it's dangerous to use dimensions in \setuplayout that get set themselves
>
> also, textwidth is for special purposed and special effects, not to be
> used here (spoils things)
>
> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
>
> \setuplayout
>   [width=middle,
>    backspace=.75in,
>    curspace=2.55in,
>    leftmargin=.50in,
>    margindistance=.25in,
>    rightmargin=2.3in]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]
>
> \starttext
>
> The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
>
> \placefigure
>   [inright]{a margin image}
>   {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \input tufte
>
> An now a larger image in the text and margin are
>
> \placefigure
>   [here,inright]{a text+margin image}
>   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page
>
> The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
>
> \placefigure
>   [inright]
>   {a margin image}
>   {\framed[width=\rightmarginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \input tufte
>
> An now a larger image in the text and margin are
>
> \placefigure
>   [here,inright]
>   {a text+margin image}
>   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page

Thanks for the quick response.

I have some questions about your code, because it does not fullfill all
my wishes.

The command \inmargin now correctly puts its text on the correct side on
even and odd pages. But i would like to have the same behaviour for the
figures too. In a longer script, TeX should know, if the margin image
has to be placed left or right. So 'inright' or 'inleft' is not an
option. And 'margin' does not work ... (the image is placed mostly
outside the page).
In your code, the long image on the second page does not start in the
left margin, as desired.

%--------
% output=pdf
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout
  [%width=middle,
   backspace=.75in,
   curspace=2.55in,
   leftmargin=.50in,
   margindistance=.25in,
   rightmargin=2.3in]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative={doublesided}]

\starttext

The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.

\placefigure
  [margin]{a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

And now a larger image in the text and margin

\placefigure
  [here,inright]{a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page

The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.

\placefigure
  [margin]
  {a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

And now a larger image in the text and margin

\placefigure
  [here,inleft]
  {a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page
%--------

Any help appreciated
   richard

@ 2006-08-21 17:17     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

curspace=2.55in

should be

cutspace=2.55in

On Aug 21, 2006, at 3:12 AM, richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:

> [...]
>   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page
>
> The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
>
> \placefigure
>   [margin]
>   {a margin image}
>   {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \input tufte
>
> And now a larger image in the text and margin
>
> \placefigure
>   [here,inleft]
>   {a text+margin image}
>   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \inmargin{Tufte text} \input tufte \page
> %--------
>

> Any help appreciated
>    richard
>
> --

> ========
> Richard Rascher-Friesenhausen
> MeVis -- Centrum fuer Medizinische Diagnosesysteme und

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-22  9:24       ` richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-22  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold schrieb:
> curspace=2.55in
>
> should be
>
> cutspace=2.55in
>

>> %--------
>> % output=pdf
>> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
>>
>> \setuplayout
>>   [%width=middle,
>>    backspace=.75in,
>>    curspace=2.55in,
>>    leftmargin=.50in,
>>    margindistance=.25in,
>>    rightmargin=2.3in]

Thanks,

using 'cutspace' the option 'width=middle' works as expected. The margin
images are now on the paper. But the problem with the tex+margin on the
*second* page is not solved. I tried

\placefigure
  [here,inleft]
  {a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\placefigure
  [here,inmargin]
  {a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

but the image does not move into the margin.

richard

@ 2006-08-22 14:27         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-22 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:

> images are now on the paper. But the problem with the tex+margin on the
> *second* page is not solved. I tried
>
> \placefigure
>  [here,inleft]
>  {a text+margin image}
>  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \placefigure
>  [here,inmargin]
>  {a text+margin image}
>  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> but the image does not move into the margin.

Did you try copy/paste Hans code? Notice

\setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]

I do not really understand what that means, but With that, the float
go to the "correct" margin.

Aditya

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-22 14:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:
> David Arnold schrieb:
>
>> curspace=2.55in
>>
>> should be
>>
>> cutspace=2.55in
>>

>>> %--------
>>> % output=pdf
>>> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
>>>
>>> \setuplayout
>>>   [%width=middle,
>>>    backspace=.75in,
>>>    curspace=2.55in,
>>>    leftmargin=.50in,
>>>    margindistance=.25in,
>>>    rightmargin=2.3in]
>>>

> Thanks,
>
> using 'cutspace' the option 'width=middle' works as expected. The margin
> images are now on the paper. But the problem with the tex+margin on the
> *second* page is not solved. I tried
>
> \placefigure
>   [here,inleft]
>   {a text+margin image}
>   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \placefigure
>   [here,inmargin]
>   {a text+margin image}
>   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> but the image does not move into the margin.

did you read details.pdf ? Lots of margin stuff with figures in there

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-22 14:57           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:
>

>> images are now on the paper. But the problem with the tex+margin on the
>> *second* page is not solved. I tried
>>
>> \placefigure
>>  [here,inleft]
>>  {a text+margin image}
>>  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>>
>> \placefigure
>>  [here,inmargin]
>>  {a text+margin image}
>>  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>>
>> but the image does not move into the margin.
>>

> Did you try copy/paste Hans code? Notice
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]
>
> I do not really understand what that means, but With that, the float
> go to the "correct" margin.

a combination of single/double, i.e. no mirroring of the layout but
different header/footerlines (4 args to \setupheadertexts) on left an
dright hand pages are possible

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-22 15:31           ` richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-22 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan schrieb:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, richard rascher-friesenhausen wrote:
>

>> images are now on the paper. But the problem with the tex+margin on the
>> *second* page is not solved. I tried
>>
>> \placefigure
>>  [here,inleft]
>>  {a text+margin image}
>>  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>>
>> \placefigure
>>  [here,inmargin]
>>  {a text+margin image}
>>  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>>
>> but the image does not move into the margin.
>>

> Did you try copy/paste Hans code? Notice
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]
>
> I do not really understand what that means, but With that, the float
> go to the "correct" margin.
>
> Aditya

Yes, i tried the code. But the generated output is not doublesided. And
then there is no problem. Therefore i removed the option 'singlesided'
(i do not know the meaning of the combination of both either). Now the
output is doublesided. But i have to bother with 'inleft' and 'inright',
which i do not want to :-( And the text+margin image does not bleed into
the margin...

I think, there was once another post on this list, looking for a nearly
identical layout of figures. But i lost track of the postings.

richard

@ 2006-08-28  8:58           ` richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:

> did you read details.pdf ? Lots of margin stuff with figures in there
>
> Hans

Hello,

this weekend i looked a bit into details.pdf an came up with a solution
of my figure placing problem:

% output=pdf
%=======================================================================
% begin of file *layout-test.tex*
%=======================================================================
% richard@mevis.de

% layout
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout[width=middle,
             cutspace=2.3in,
             margindistance=.25in,
             leftmargin=0.5in,rightmargin=2.3in]
\setuplayout[backspace=\dimexpr(\leftmarginwidth+\leftmargindistance)]

% float defs
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\definefloat[marginfigure][marginfigures]
\setupfloat[marginfigure][minwidth=\rightmarginwidth,
                          location=middle,
                          default={outermargin,here}]

\definefloat[textmarginfigure][textmarginfigures]
\setupfloat[textmarginfigure][location=inner]

\showframe
%=======================================================================
\starttext
%=======================================================================
\placelistoffigures
\placelistofmarginfigures
\placelistoftextmarginfigures
\hairline

The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
\placemarginfigure{a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text}
\input tufte

And now a larger image in the text and margin
\placetextmarginfigure{a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\dorecurse{14}{Some text. }

\placefigure{a text image}
  {\framed[width=.3\textwidth,height=1cm]{text image}}

\dorecurse{14}{Some text.~}

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\page
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
\placemarginfigure{a margin image}
  {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

And now a larger image in the text and margin
\placetextmarginfigure{a text+margin image}
  {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text}
\input tufte

\placefigure{a text image}
  {\framed[width=.3\textwidth,height=1cm]{text image}}

%=======================================================================
\stoptext
%=======================================================================
% end of file *layout-test.tex*
%=======================================================================

Now, the figures are at my desired places. But i have three different
kinds of figures and three different lists of figures.

1) Is it possible, to have only one list of figures, numbering all
figures with the same counter? My first
    attempts with \definecombinedlist did not work.

2) The \inmargin{Tufte Text} on the first page places the text in one
line, the same command on the
    second page needs two lines! Why?

richard

Prof. Dr. Richard Rascher-Friesenhausen
MeVis -- Centrum fuer Medizinische Diagnosesysteme und Visualisierung GmbH
Universitaetsallee 29
D-28359 Bremen

als auch
Hochschule Bremerhaven
An der Karlsstadt 8
27568 Bremerhaven

@ 2006-08-28 19:23             ` nico
From: nico @ 2006-08-28 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:58:58 +0200, richard rascher-friesenhausen
<richard@mevis.de> wrote:

> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>>
>> did you read details.pdf ? Lots of margin stuff with figures in there
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Hello,
>
> this weekend i looked a bit into details.pdf an came up with a solution
> of my figure placing problem: [...]
>
> Now, the figures are at my desired places. But i have three different
> kinds of figures and three different lists of figures.
>
> 1) Is it possible, to have only one list of figures, numbering all
> figures with the same counter? My first
>     attempts with \definecombinedlist did not work.

Defining a new float gives another floating object with its own counter,
list, etc.

Maybe you can stay with only one kind of float. The following looks like
the expected rendering, but I don't understand the default placement of
the second large figure.

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout[width=middle,
              cutspace=2.3in,
              margindistance=.25in,
              leftmargin=0.5in,rightmargin=2.3in]
\setuplayout[backspace=\dimexpr(\leftmarginwidth+\leftmargindistance)]

% float defs
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\setupfloat[figure][minwidth=\rightmarginwidth,
                     criterium=\rightmarginwidth,
                     location=middle,
                     default={outermargin,here}]

\showframe
%=======================================================================
\starttext
%=======================================================================
\placelistoffigures
\hairline

The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
\placefigure
   {a margin image}
   {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text}
\input tufte

And now a larger image in the text and margin
\placefigure[inner]{a text+margin image}
   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\dorecurse{14}{Some text. }

\placefigure[middle]{a text image}
   {\framed[width=.3\textwidth,height=1cm]{text image}}

\dorecurse{14}{Some text.~}

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\page
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
\placefigure
   {a margin image}
   {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\input tufte

And now a larger image in the text and margin
%
% Default placement sounds strange to me...
% Force with middle to have the entire figure visible
%
%\placefigure{a text+margin image}
\placefigure[middle]{a text+margin image}
   {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}

\inmargin{Tufte text}
\input tufte

\placefigure[middle]{a text image}
   {\framed[width=.3\textwidth,height=1cm]{text image}}

\stoptext

Regards,
BG

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-28 19:42               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

nico wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:58:58 +0200, richard rascher-friesenhausen
> <richard@mevis.de> wrote:
>

>> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>>
>>> did you read details.pdf ? Lots of margin stuff with figures in there
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> this weekend i looked a bit into details.pdf an came up with a solution
>> of my figure placing problem: [...]
>>
>> Now, the figures are at my desired places. But i have three different
>> kinds of figures and three different lists of figures.
>>
>> 1) Is it possible, to have only one list of figures, numbering all
>> figures with the same counter? My first
>>     attempts with \definecombinedlist did not work.
>>

> Defining a new float gives another floating object with its own counter,

\definefloat[myfloat][figure]

will give you \myfloat which inherits from \figure

> list, etc.
>
> Maybe you can stay with only one kind of float. The following looks like
> the expected rendering, but I don't understand the default placement of
> the second large figure.
>
> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
>
> \setuplayout[width=middle,
>               cutspace=2.3in,
>               margindistance=.25in,
>               leftmargin=0.5in,rightmargin=2.3in]
> \setuplayout[backspace=\dimexpr(\leftmarginwidth+\leftmargindistance)]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> % float defs
> %-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> \setupfloat[figure][minwidth=\rightmarginwidth,
>                      criterium=\rightmarginwidth,
>                      location=middle,
>                      default={outermargin,here}]
>
> \showframe
> %=======================================================================
> \starttext
> %=======================================================================
> \placelistoffigures
> \hairline
>
> The very first page with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
> \placefigure
>    {a margin image}
>    {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \inmargin{Tufte text}
> \input tufte
>
> And now a larger image in the text and margin
> \placefigure[inner]{a text+margin image}
>    {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \dorecurse{14}{Some text. }
>
> \placefigure[middle]{a text image}
>    {\framed[width=.3\textwidth,height=1cm]{text image}}
>
> \dorecurse{14}{Some text.~}
>
> %-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> \page
> %-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The second page  with a small image in the (bigger) margin.
> \placefigure
>    {a margin image}
>    {\framed[width=\marginwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \input tufte
>
> And now a larger image in the text and margin
> %
> % Default placement sounds strange to me...
> % Force with middle to have the entire figure visible
> %
> %\placefigure{a text+margin image}
> \placefigure[middle]{a text+margin image}
>    {\framed[width=1.2\textwidth,height=3cm]{image}}
>
> \inmargin{Tufte text}
> \input tufte
>
> \placefigure[middle]{a text image}
>    {\framed[width=.3\textwidth,height=1cm]{text image}}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Regards,
> BG

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-28 20:31                 ` nico
From: nico @ 2006-08-28 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:42:10 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> nico wrote:
>>> 1) Is it possible, to have only one list of figures, numbering all
>>> figures with the same counter? My first
>>>     attempts with \definecombinedlist did not work.
>>
>> Defining a new float gives another floating object with its own counter,
>
> \definefloat[myfloat][figure]
>
> will give you \myfloat which inherits from \figure

Hm, the setup is inherited, but it has its own counter, its own label,
etc. isn't it?

Regards,
BG

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-28 21:49                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

nico wrote:

>>> Defining a new float gives another floating object with its own counter,
>>>
>> \definefloat[myfloat][figure]
>>
>> will give you \myfloat which inherits from \figure
>>

> Hm, the setup is inherited, but it has its own counter, its own label,
> etc. isn't it?

sorry, wrong command

\definefloat[myfigure][myfigures][figure]

the second arg is the plural, the third the parent

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: layout question
@ 2006-08-29  7:49                     ` richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-29  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:

> sorry, wrong command
>
> \definefloat[myfigure][myfigures][figure]
>
> the second arg is the plural, the third the parent
>
> Hans

Hello,

i added the cloning to my figure definitions. The caption is inherited
from figure. But the new margin- and textmarginfigures do *not* show up
in the list of figures using \placelistoffigures. Do i have to define a
\combinedlist?

In ConTeXt ver. 2006.08.04 standalone windows version the numbering is
wrong. All figures on page one get the number 1, all figures on page two
get number 2.

In ConTeXt ver. 2005.11.30 standalone windows version the numbering is
correct. But \placelistoffigures only show the native figures, too.

richard

P.S. details.pdf uses the incorrect command
\definefloat[myfigure][figure]. And in typing the examples directly from
the text, i forgot in the first run to define the new figures with
\definefloat. Maybe one should add this to the examples?

@ 2006-08-29  8:11               ` richard rascher-friesenhausen
From: richard rascher-friesenhausen @ 2006-08-29  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

nico schrieb:
> Defining a new float gives another floating object with its own counter,
> list, etc.
>
> Maybe you can stay with only one kind of float. The following looks like
> the expected rendering, but I don't understand the default placement of
> the second large figure.
>
> % float defs
> %-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> \setupfloat[figure][minwidth=\rightmarginwidth,
>                      criterium=\rightmarginwidth,
>                      location=middle,
>                      default={outermargin,here}]

Thanks for that solution. It solves the problem with the list of
figures. But for the text+margin figures i have to look, if they are
placed on an odd or even page, to set the placing correctly. They should
always be shifted to the outer margin. But your solution avoids the
extra definition of margin images.

Do you know the meanings of the criterium. minwidth and maxwidth options
of \setupfloat and how they interact with each other and with default?

richard

* figures and footnotes
@ 2006-08-29 13:26                       ` Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2006-08-29 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello

1
I have footnotes in titles  and as title a appers in all right pages, the
litle number appears too, but adding 1 each page it appears.

2
I´m placing figures, but I get a gray square that says:

name:thename
file: thefile
status:unknown

texexec says "file thefile has zero dimensions" 4 times and "file the file
not found".

Files are 1 bit Potoshop tif, or 8 bit photoshop tif or 8 bit gimp tif.

Images and tex file are inthe same directoy.

Tahnkyou very much.

* Re: figures and footnotes
@ 2006-08-29 13:59                           ` Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2006-08-29 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

thankyou very much.

png is a compressed format?

>From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
>Subject: Re: [NTG-context] figures and footnotes
>Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:01:45 +0300 (EEST)
>

>On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Horacio Suarez wrote:
> > Files are 1 bit Potoshop tif, or 8 bit photoshop tif or 8 bit gimp tif.
>
>According to ConTeXt wiki (wiki.contextgarden.net), tif(f) is NOT a
>generally accepted file format in ConTeXt, some systems process it, but
>most don't.
>As I process ConTeXt straight into pdf (in Windows, using the wincontext
>distribution), I used jpg and png as bitmap file formats and that has been
>successful this far - so you may want to try another figure file format.
>
>See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File_Formats for up-to-date information
>about what formats work with what configurations, the information in at
>least my version of the big manual (chapter 13) is partly obsolete.
>

>Mari
>(who's gotten her share of grey squares while working with ConTeXt...)

* Re: figures and footnotes
@ 2006-08-29 14:01                         ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2006-08-29 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-08-29 22:18                 ` nico
From: nico @ 2006-08-29 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:11:37 +0200, richard rascher-friesenhausen
<richard@mevis.de> wrote:

> nico schrieb:
>> Defining a new float gives another floating object with its own counter,
>> list, etc.
>>
>> Maybe you can stay with only one kind of float. The following looks like
>> the expected rendering, but I don't understand the default placement of
>> the second large figure.
>>
>> % float defs
>> %-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> \setupfloat[figure][minwidth=\rightmarginwidth,
>>                      criterium=\rightmarginwidth,
>>                      location=middle,
>>                      default={outermargin,here}]
>>
> Thanks for that solution. It solves the problem with the list of
> figures. But for the text+margin figures i have to look, if they are
> placed on an odd or even page, to set the placing correctly. They should
> always be shifted to the outer margin. But your solution avoids the
> extra definition of margin images.

Yes, I don't understand why it behaves like this. I thought that it would
be put in the middle.

> Do you know the meanings of the criterium. minwidth and maxwidth options
> of \setupfloat and how they interact with each other and with default?

It's explained in details.pdf. In brief, for margin floats:

criterium=<width>: says that when the figure width is greater than
<width>, the figure is put in the text area. When the figure width is less
than <width>, it is put in the default specified margin (here:
outermargin).

default=<setting>: default setting for that kind of float, including the
chosen placement area (outermargin), until the criterium is reached.

maxwidth=<width>: gives the alignment delimiter in the margin, so that the
figure will not go outside the specified width in the margin, but it will
grow in the text area instead.

minwidth=<width>: ensures that the figure can take at least this width, so
that if the figure width is smaller (and location=middle) it will be
centered in this area.

I hope there's no missunderstanding in these explainations (others can
tell). Anyway, it cannot be better than the details doc that shows how it
looks.

Regards,
BG

* Re: Layout Question
@ 2007-02-06  7:20   ` Helin Gai
From: Helin Gai @ 2007-02-06  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

lol. I'm so embarrassed. Thanks a lot!

Colin

helin.gai at gmail.com
hg9 at duke.edu

* Re: Layout Question
@ 2007-02-06  7:09 ` Alex Lubberts
From: Alex Lubberts @ 2007-02-06  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps because you typed 'weight=middle' instead of 'width=middle'...?

Regards,
Alex

> Hi,
>
> I bumped into a strange question. I used the following commands to set
> up the layout:
>
> \setuplayout[marking=color,location=middle,
>              backspace=4.25pc,
>              cutspace=20pc,
>              topspace=4.25pc,
>              bottomspace=7.5pc,
>              footerdistance=3.5pc,
>              footer=12pt,
>              margindistance=2pc,
>              header=0pc,
>              headerdistance=0pc,
>              leftmargin=0pc,
>              height=middle,
>              weight=middle]
>
> but when I change the value of cutspace here, nothing changes. What's
> wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
> Helin