* new beta
@ 2006-08-29  7:58 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-29  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new beta. There is not so much new functionality (if so,
taco will report that when there is a new release), but

- some reshuffling of code (in order to solve some dependency ugliness
in the load order)
- this is also a bit of a preparation for replacing parts by lua
enhanced code
- a reimplementation (cleanup) of the core-fig module (with a split off
core-trf)
- a related simplification of some of the driver code
- a (not times) speed up of graphic inclusions

So, the big question here is "does graphic inclusion work as expected"

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29  8:51 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-29  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

! I can't find file `core-trf.tex'.
l.381 \input core-trf.tex

Cheers,

Renaud

Hans Hagen a écrit :

>Hi,
>
>I uploaded a new beta. There is not so much new functionality (if so,
>taco will report that when there is a new release), but
>
>- some reshuffling of code (in order to solve some dependency ugliness
>in the load order)
>- this is also a bit of a preparation for replacing parts by lua
>enhanced code
>- a reimplementation (cleanup) of the core-fig module (with a split off
>core-trf)
>- a related simplification of some of the driver code
>- a (not times) speed up of graphic inclusions
>
>So, the big question here is "does graphic inclusion work as expected"
>
>Hans

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29  9:56 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-29  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new beta. There is not so much new functionality (if so,
> taco will report that when there is a new release), but
>
> - some reshuffling of code (in order to solve some dependency ugliness
> in the load order)
> - this is also a bit of a preparation for replacing parts by lua
> enhanced code
> - a reimplementation (cleanup) of the core-fig module (with a split off
> core-trf)
> - a related simplification of some of the driver code
> - a (not times) speed up of graphic inclusions
>
> So, the big question here is "does graphic inclusion work as expected"

I have tested the beta with a file that worked with the beta version
from 10.08.06. With the new one I get

* 2 of 3 picture (png) are not found; both unfound file have a
  "_" in the name
* position of some (not all) overlay backgrounds is wrong (shifted to
the left); maybe only a side effect

Greetings, Peter

> Hans

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 10:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-29 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> ! I can't find file `core-trf.tex'.
> l.381 \input core-trf.tex

corrected

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 11:02     ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-29 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, do you agree to add
\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]   [LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi]
to type-buy.tex (\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [name]) ?

Renaud

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 11:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-29 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote
> * 2 of 3 picture (png) are not found; both unfound file have a
>   "_" in the name

hm, will look into it

> * position of some (not all) overlay backgrounds is wrong (shifted to
> the left); maybe only a side effect

can you make an example of that

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 12:46       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-29 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> Hans, do you agree to add
> \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]   [LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi]
> to type-buy.tex (\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [name]) ?

ok, done

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 12:54     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-29 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote
>> * 2 of 3 picture (png) are not found; both unfound file have a
>>   "_" in the name
>>
> hm, will look into it

I have found the cause of this one. If I don't use \usefigurebase the
gfx are found and included.

>> * position of some (not all) overlay backgrounds is wrong (shifted to
>> the left); maybe only a side effect

Sadly the overlays are still placed at the wrong location.

But one step after the other :)

Peter

> can you make an example of that
>
> Hans

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 17:50 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen a écrit :

>So, the big question here is "does graphic inclusion work as expected"

Hans,

\scale seems to be broken...

\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummygraph}
numeric u; u:=2cm;
draw (-u,-u)--(u,u);
draw ((-u,-u)--(u,u)) rotated 90;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\placefigure[here]{none}{\useMPgraphic{dummygraph}}

\placefigure[here]{none}{\scale[sx=1,sy=1]{\useMPgraphic{dummygraph}}}

\stoptext

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 17:57   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

\starttext

\startuseMPgraphic{dummygraph}
numeric u; u:=2cm;
draw (-u,-u)--(u,u);
draw ((-u,-u)--(u,u)) rotated 90;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\placefigure[here]{none}{\useMPgraphic{dummygraph}} <- euh... work ;)

\placefigure[here]{none}{\scale[sx=.5,sy=.5]{\useMPgraphic{dummygraph}}}
<- doesn't work !

\placefigure[here]{none}{\scale[width=10cm]{\useMPgraphic{dummygraph}}}
<- work !

\stoptext

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 21:02       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Peter Rolf wrote
>>
>>> * 2 of 3 picture (png) are not found; both unfound file have a
>>>   "_" in the name
>>>

>> hm, will look into it
>>

> I have found the cause of this one. If I don't use \usefigurebase the
> gfx are found and included.
>

>>> * position of some (not all) overlay backgrounds is wrong (shifted to
>>> the left); maybe only a side effect
>>>

> Sadly the overlays are still placed at the wrong location.
>
> But one step after the other :)

of that you can make an example ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-29 23:45         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-29 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> Peter Rolf wrote

>>> hm, will look into it
>>>

>> I have found the cause of this one. If I don't use \usefigurebase the
>> gfx are found and included.

>> Sadly the overlays are still placed at the wrong location.
>>
>> But one step after the other :)

> of that you can make an example ...

...I really don't know. This is what I found out so far...

First of all all macros are placed with \setlayer in the same layer,
using \framed[background=...]{..} to set the content.

For all macros with shifted overlays
* the text is placed at the correct position
* the overlay graphic ends exactly where the overlaybox starts
 -----------------------------
| overlay gfx  |     text     |
 -----------------------------

The two working (non shifted) macros contain
* no text or
* the text is encapsulated in a \smash[d]

Mhh, weird. I *removed the text* in one shifted macro and the overlay
gfx is placed correctly. Does that ring a bell?
Anyhow, time to go to bed.

Peter

> Hans

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-30  8:00           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-30  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Peter Rolf wrote:

>>> I have found the cause of this one. If I don't use \usefigurebase the
>>> gfx are found and included.

>>> Sadly the overlays are still placed at the wrong location.
>>>
>>> But one step after the other :)

>> of that you can make an example ...
>>

> ....I really don't know. This is what I found out so far...
>
> First of all all macros are placed with \setlayer in the same layer,
> using \framed[background=...]{..} to set the content.
>
> For all macros with shifted overlays
> * the text is placed at the correct position
> * the overlay graphic ends exactly where the overlaybox starts
>  -----------------------------
> | overlay gfx  |     text     |
>  -----------------------------
>
> The two working (non shifted) macros contain
> * no text or
> * the text is encapsulated in a \smash[d]
>
> Mhh, weird. I *removed the text* in one shifted macro and the overlay
> gfx is placed correctly. Does that ring a bell?

\starttext

\definelayer[test][width=10cm,height=10cm]

\setlayer[test]{xxx}
\setlayer[test][preset=rightbottom]{xxx}

\framed[background=test,width=10cm,height=10cm]{zz}

\stoptext

works ok here, so the question is: what is the width/height of your layer

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new betae
@ 2006-08-30 10:17             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-30 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> of that you can make an example ...
>>>

>> ....I really don't know. This is what I found out so far...
>>
>> First of all all macros are placed with \setlayer in the same layer,
>> using \framed[background=...]{..} to set the content.
>>
>> For all macros with shifted overlays
>> * the text is placed at the correct position
>> * the overlay graphic ends exactly where the overlaybox starts
>>  -----------------------------
>> | overlay gfx  |     text     |
>>  -----------------------------
>>
>> The two working (non shifted) macros contain
>> * no text or
>> * the text is encapsulated in a \smash[d]
>>
>> Mhh, weird. I *removed the text* in one shifted macro and the overlay
>> gfx is placed correctly. Does that ring a bell?
>>
> \starttext
>
> \definelayer[test][width=10cm,height=10cm]
>
> \setlayer[test]{xxx}
> \setlayer[test][preset=rightbottom]{xxx}
>
> \framed[background=test,width=10cm,height=10cm]{zz}
>
> \stoptext
>
> works ok here, so the question is: what is the width/height of your layer

No, it's a bit more complicated. I think the size of the layer has
nothing to do with it.

It's more like this (which works with the beta)

%------------
\definecolor [bluntorange] [r=.9373, g=.6471]
\setupcolors[state=start]

\definelayer[Test]
\setupbackgrounds[text]
  [background=Test]

\defineoverlay[BAR][{\bgroup\color[bluntorange]\blackrule[width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]\egroup}]

\def\FOO{\dosingleempty\doFOO}

\def\doFOO[#1]#2{% very simplified macro structure
  \bgroup
  \setupstrut\setupinterlinespace% normally with font change
  \framed[width=30mm,background=BAR]% width is always given
  {\vbox{\normaloffinterlineskip% vbox for additional offsets
    \hbox{#2\strut}}}% same for the hbox
  \egroup}

\starttext

\framed[width=\textwidth,height=50mm]\bgroup
\setlayer[Test][x=2cm,y=2cm]{\FOO{FOOBAR}}
\egroup

\stoptext
% -------------

The document is a multi-layer (context, not pdf layer) mp-graphic with
nested structures. So I have many boxes that are placed at specific
positions (using \setlayer). Some content is collected in a buffer and
then placed in a framed vbox (also by \setlayer). So this is not a
simple story (at least not for me).

I'll minimize the components of the xml source and then try to build the
structure of the macros by hand. No fun, but still better than living
without new context features. I'll start with this ASAP.

Greetings, Peter

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-30 10:27   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-30 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a new beta. There is not so much new functionality (if so,
>> taco will report that when there is a new release), but
>>
>> - some reshuffling of code (in order to solve some dependency ugliness
>> in the load order)
>> - this is also a bit of a preparation for replacing parts by lua
>> enhanced code
>> - a reimplementation (cleanup) of the core-fig module (with a split off
>> core-trf)
>> - a related simplification of some of the driver code
>> - a (not times) speed up of graphic inclusions
>>
>> So, the big question here is "does graphic inclusion work as expected"
>>
> I have tested the beta with a file that worked with the beta version
> from 10.08.06. With the new one I get
>
> * 2 of 3 picture (png) are not found; both unfound file have a
>   "_" in the name

This problem is fixed in the new beta. Thanks Hans!

> * position of some (not all) overlay backgrounds is wrong (shifted to
> the left); maybe only a side effect

This one still occurs.

> Greetings, Peter
>
>> Hans

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-30 11:07     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-30 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I uploaded a new beta. There is not so much new functionality (if so,
>>> taco will report that when there is a new release), but
>>>
>>> - some reshuffling of code (in order to solve some dependency ugliness
>>> in the load order)
>>> - this is also a bit of a preparation for replacing parts by lua
>>> enhanced code
>>> - a reimplementation (cleanup) of the core-fig module (with a split off
>>> core-trf)
>>> - a related simplification of some of the driver code
>>> - a (not times) speed up of graphic inclusions
>>>
>>> So, the big question here is "does graphic inclusion work as expected"
>>>
>> I have tested the beta with a file that worked with the beta version
>> from 10.08.06. With the new one I get
>>
>> * 2 of 3 picture (png) are not found; both unfound file have a
>>   "_" in the name
>
> This problem is fixed in the new beta. Thanks Hans!

Sorry, seems I was to optimistic. Still broken. I'll start right now
trying to create a minimal example.

>> * position of some (not all) overlay backgrounds is wrong (shifted to
>> the left); maybe only a side effect
>>
> This one still occurs.
>
>> Greetings, Peter
>>
>>> Hans

* Re: new betae
@ 2006-08-30 11:40               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-30 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

> The document is a multi-layer (context, not pdf layer) mp-graphic with
> nested structures. So I have many boxes that are placed at specific
> positions (using \setlayer). Some content is collected in a buffer and
> then placed in a framed vbox (also by \setlayer). So this is not a
> simple story (at least not for me).
>
> I'll minimize the components of the xml source and then try to build the
> structure of the macros by hand. No fun, but still better than living
> without new context features. I'll start with this ASAP.

ok, thanks. could become part of the test suite then

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-30 15:21                 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-08-30 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> The document is a multi-layer (context, not pdf layer) mp-graphic with
>> nested structures. So I have many boxes that are placed at specific
>> positions (using \setlayer). Some content is collected in a buffer and
>> then placed in a framed vbox (also by \setlayer). So this is not a
>> simple story (at least not for me).
>>
>> I'll minimize the components of the xml source and then try to build the
>> structure of the macros by hand. No fun, but still better than living
>> without new context features. I'll start with this ASAP.
>>
> ok, thanks. could become part of the test suite then

Found it, but there will be no new part of the test suite. The problem
is a simple register conflict. Do you use \dimen0 in your new overlay
optimizations? :D

I use \dimen0 for the automatic width calculation. The macro is grouped
and I thought it is quite safe to do so. But the new beta showed me that
I was wrong. If I remember it right (long ago) there were problems using
\scratchdimen als parameter for \framed, so I changed the register. Can
you please tell me what register I should avoid?

I hope you have not wasted too much time in that.

Peter

> Hans

* Re: new beta
@ 2006-08-30 20:58                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-30 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> The document is a multi-layer (context, not pdf layer) mp-graphic with
>>> nested structures. So I have many boxes that are placed at specific
>>> positions (using \setlayer). Some content is collected in a buffer and
>>> then placed in a framed vbox (also by \setlayer). So this is not a
>>> simple story (at least not for me).
>>>
>>> I'll minimize the components of the xml source and then try to build the
>>> structure of the macros by hand. No fun, but still better than living
>>> without new context features. I'll start with this ASAP.
>>>

>> ok, thanks. could become part of the test suite then
>>

> Found it, but there will be no new part of the test suite. The problem
> is a simple register conflict. Do you use \dimen0 in your new overlay
> optimizations? :D
>
> I use \dimen0 for the automatic width calculation. The macro is grouped
> and I thought it is quite safe to do so. But the new beta showed me that
> I was wrong. If I remember it right (long ago) there were problems using
> \scratchdimen als parameter for \framed, so I changed the register. Can
> you please tell me what register I should avoid?

one can never be sure of the scratch dimensions (in this case i can see
if i can avoid it); so either define your own, or use grouping
> I hope you have not wasted too much time in that.

something

\dimen0=10pt
\contextcommand
the\dimen0

is ok when the command groups,

\dimen0=10pt
\contextcommand {... the\dimen0 ...}

is dangerous when the command uses the dimen

\dimen0=10pt

\expanded{\contextcommand {... the\dimen0 ...}}

is ok

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE