From: Carlos <linguafalsa@gmail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: \showmakeup adds unwanted space despite accurate readings; \qquad mandatory before \TeX\
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 09:38:18 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 07:37:56PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 7/5/2023 7:05 PM, Carlos wrote:
>
> > And I don't want to stir up anything here either, but if the convention of
> > using non-official vs official fonts is the new de facto under lmtx,
> > I guess my opening question is invalid by all acounts
> Well, the policy wrt font is quite simple:
>
> (1) one can define a typescript for any font, and one is free to mess around
> in these as much as possible
>
> (2) a proper font will normally work ok but of course there can be
> exceptions
>
> (3) if a font behaves bad one can ask on the list but then you need to give
> a mwe + output + indication where something is wrong
>
> (4) if you're lucky someone else has that font and can try, but keep in mind
> that one cannot assume someone to spend time (it is not everyones hobby to
> solve issues)
>
> (5) if nothing works out you need to provide an official (properly licenced
> copy, which in the case of a commercial font means that you have to buy an
> extra copy)
>
> (6) you have to keep in mind that you ask someone to spend time on something
> that is not worth spending time on (in the case of lucida: the ones from tug
> work fine, and we send quite some time on the math too, so we see no reason
> to spend more time on it ... there is only so much you can expect for free)
>
> (7) you cannot claim someones time and to what extend questions get answered
> also depends on the tone of the email, the way questions are formulates, etc
> etc

I agree with everything. Except (5).

Last time I checked Oracle, Corporation, one of the greediest money
hungry behemoth eavesdropping corporate shithole to ever set foot on
planet earth, owned or included the Lucida family on every java runtime
environment that there was. This piece of software was also
involuntarily required to run quite a few of programs.

Anyhow. Heck. Let's check the company's revenue:

Revenue	Increase US$49.95 billion (2023)
Operating income	Increase US$13.09 billion (2023)
Net income	Increase US$8.503 billion (2023)
Total assets	Increase US$134.4 billion (2023)
Total equity	Increase US$1.556 billion (2023)

ouch. Billions, right?

So no. Let's stop the pretty lawyerish talk and rethoric and enough
with licenses too.

When you said ‹ripoff›, I'm not going to take it personally, and I
guess, and rightly so, you must have been referring to these
folks above rather than an end-user of lmtx like myself.

So no. The metrics are perfectly fine with the Lucida family from jre.

> that said ... if you think that you can deduce conventions from the fact
> that it is impossible or hard to answer a (somewhat vague) question, some
> introspection is needed ... i get the impressions that you have no clue what
> the de-facto conventions are under lmtx so i'd be careful in drawing
> conclusions
>
> also said: i do know the difference between input and font encoding and i do
> know what tfm and afm files contain and i also do know how to implement
> font/char handling (unless i have to guess what encoding, fonts, chars,
> engine an dmacro package a user is using in which case I don't - want to -
> know any of this) but when a user complain in certain ways i tend to not
> listen
>
> (let's see what chat gpt mnakes of that in the future)
>
> anyway, i don't have these fonts, i have working lucida setup as do other
> users, so i see no problem
>
> and, as your fonts work fine in lualatex, you have a way out of this
> persistent font issue,
>
> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

As long as there are ill-defined goals, bizarre bugs, and unrealistic
schedules, there will be Real Programmers willing to jump in and Solve
The Problem, saving the documentation for later.