* FLOWcharts
@ 2006-09-21  9:53 Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2006-09-21  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

I have some FLOWcharts in my presentation; due to the RawSteps module,
they get rendered too many times pointlessly.  Is it possible to
"prerender" a FLOWchart -- or any other part of a text -- and reuse it
later?  \startbuffer \stopbuffer doesn't do this.

cu, Adam.

* Re: FLOWcharts
@ 2006-09-21 18:23 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-09-21 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

may be that compiling the different FLOWcharts as TEX-pages might solve
the problem. The TEX-pages-pdf you can include as a picture.

Willi
Adam Duck wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have some FLOWcharts in my presentation; due to the RawSteps module,
> they get rendered too many times pointlessly.  Is it possible to
> "prerender" a FLOWchart -- or any other part of a text -- and reuse it
> later?  \startbuffer \stopbuffer doesn't do this.
>
> cu, Adam.

* Re: FLOWcharts
@ 2005-03-16  9:20   ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-03-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> hm, the same here also with alpha-context of february 2005.
> May be, that one should use a single \comment only. Still there is a
> problem then with \comment[t]{text}, which causes the text in the second
> cell to move down.
>
> I think this is somethin for Hans ...
>
> Kind regards
>
> Willi

Took me a while -) patch this in m-chart.tex:

\def\doFLOWcommentD[#1]#2%
   {\bgroup
    \let\FLOW  \middlebox
    \let\FLOWb \bottombox
    \let\FLOWbl\bottomleftbox
    \let\FLOWbr\bottomrightbox
    \let\FLOWt \topbox
    \let\FLOWtl\topleftbox
    \let\FLOWtr\toprightbox
    \let\FLOWl \leftbox
    \let\FLOWlt\lefttopbox
    \let\FLOWlb\leftbottombox
    \let\FLOWr \rightbox
    \let\FLOWrt\righttopbox
    \let\FLOWrb\rightbottombox
    \let\FLOWc \middlebox
%\ifdefined{FLOW#1}%
    \ifcase0\getvalue{\@@MPx\FLOWcomment}\getvalue{\@@MPy\FLOWcomment}\relax
    \else
      \ifdim\getvalue{\@@MPx\FLOWcomment}\s!bp<\areaMPllx\relax\else
        \ifdim\getvalue{\@@MPx\FLOWcomment}\s!bp>\areaMPurx\relax\else
          \ifdim\getvalue{\@@MPy\FLOWcomment}\s!bp<\areaMPlly\relax\else
            \ifdim\getvalue{\@@MPy\FLOWcomment}\s!bp>\areaMPury\relax\else
              \dimen0=\getvalue{\@@MPx\FLOWcomment}\s!bp
              \advance\dimen0 -\@@FLOW@@offset
              \advance\dimen0 -\clipMPllx
              \dimen2=\clipMPury
              \advance\dimen2 -\@@FLOW@@offset
              \advance\dimen2 -\getvalue{\@@MPy\FLOWcomment}\s!bp
              \setbox0=\hbox{\strut#2}%
              \boxoffset=.5\bodyfontsize
              \setbox0=\hbox
                {\hskip\dimen0\lower\dimen2\getvalue{FLOW#1}{\box0}}%
              \wd0=\zeropoint\ht0=\zeropoint\dp0=\zeropoint
              \box0
              \nointerlineskip % really needed
            \fi
          \fi
        \fi
      \fi
    \fi
%\fi
    \egroup
    \ignorespaces}

(\nointerlinekip added, this was introduced when we changed something regarding
\offinterlineskip some time ago)

> Adam Duck wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'm having problems with the following chart (well, any chart, that
>> is):
>>
>> --- ConTeXt code ---
>>
>> \setupoutput[pdftex]
>> \usemodule[chart]
>> \starttext
>>
>> \setupFLOWcharts[offset=50pt]
>>
>> \startFLOWchart[test]
>>
>>   \startFLOWcell
>>     \name{one}
>>     \location{1,1}
>>     \text{one}
>>     \connect[bt]{two}
>>     \comment[r]{why}
>>     \comment[l]{is}
>>     \comment[l]{this}
>>   \stopFLOWcell
>>       \startFLOWcell
>>     \name{two}
>>     \location{1,2}
>>     \text{two}
>>   \stopFLOWcell
>>   \stopFLOWchart
>>
>> \midaligned{\FLOWchart[test]}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> --- end ---
>>
>> It seems that every \comment-command pushes all text further down;
>> i.e. "two" in the secons cell but also the other comments.
>>
>> version:
>>  TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>>
>>                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>>                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
>>                context : ver: 2005.01.31
>>                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.3.8  mes: english
>>
>>         total run time : 1 seconds
>>
>> and:
>>
>> %D \module
>> %D   [       file=m-chart,
>> %D        version=1998.10.10,
>>
>> bye, Adam.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: FLOWcharts
@ 2005-03-13 21:57 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-03-13 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Duck wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm having problems with the following chart (well, any chart, that
> is):
>
> --- ConTeXt code ---
>
> \setupoutput[pdftex]
> \usemodule[chart]
> \starttext
>
> \setupFLOWcharts[offset=50pt]
>
> \startFLOWchart[test]
>
>   \startFLOWcell
>     \name{one}
>     \location{1,1}
>     \text{one}
>     \connect[bt]{two}
>     \comment[r]{why}
>     \comment[l]{is}
>     \comment[l]{this}
>   \stopFLOWcell
>
>   \startFLOWcell
>     \name{two}
>     \location{1,2}
>     \text{two}
>   \stopFLOWcell
>
> \stopFLOWchart
>
> \midaligned{\FLOWchart[test]}
>
> \stoptext
>
> --- end ---
>
> It seems that every \comment-command pushes all text further down;
> i.e. "two" in the secons cell but also the other comments.
>
> version:
>
>  TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
>                context : ver: 2005.01.31
>                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.3.8  mes: english
>
>         total run time : 1 seconds
>
> and:
>
> %D \module
> %D   [       file=m-chart,
> %D        version=1998.10.10,
>
> bye, Adam.

* FLOWcharts
@ 2005-03-11 15:56 Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2005-03-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-11-17 14:18 Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-11-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to reduce the "padding" around the contents of entities
of a flowchart?  I get a lot of room around the text of entities, which
makes the text real small [maxwidth=\textwidth], but the charts as a
whole very large.

In mchart.pdf the text is normally sized, yet the shapes are a lot
smaller than those I'm getting, so I'm guessing there is a way, I just
haven't caught on to it yet...
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

* Re: Flowcharts
@ 1999-09-17 14:59   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-09-17 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hans> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
    >> Some footnotes to the almost new m-chart module and its
    >> documentation.  I just spend a couple of hours playing with it,
    >> and noticed some peculiarities that were not completely obvious
    >> from the documentation, as well as a rather nasty problem with
    >> texexec:

    Hans> Ok, gives us something to do the next week.

Right. From your answers, I still don't quite get what is controlling
what, but we'll see about that next week.

    >> Well, once I figured out this documentation, it worked
    >> perfectly.

    Hans> (Even the dirty clipper?)

Never used that apart from a very short&simple test, which worked.

    Hans> I will extend the module with straight lines (as suggested
    Hans> by tobias) for binary charts. There will also be a proper
    Hans> interface to line types, arrows, and more.

It might be possible to build a (commutative) diagrams package using
this system as well.

    Hans> (Once I will implement tables this way.)

I'm doing something related to tables also, so I guess we should
compare notes soon. See you sunday,

Taco

* Flowcharts
@ 1999-09-17 14:11 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-09-17 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Some footnotes to the almost new m-chart module and its documentation.
I just spend a couple of hours playing with it, and noticed some
peculiarities that were not completely obvious from the documentation,
as well as a rather nasty problem with texexec:

- texexec does not recognize the fact that flowcharts should always be
  run twice if the setup parameters change (discovering this took me a
  very long time)

- Just about very command within a cell is required

- All flowcharts are pre-defined using the buffer mechanism

- I'm not sure I understand the relations between setup params
  width= and maxwidth=

- It should probably be documented that dx= and dy= refer to the
  distance between the text and the cell boundaries (I still not
  completely certain what exactly they control, but they have an
  affect on the font size that, for me, was a complete surprise)

- maxwidth= is not mentioned in the \setupFLOWcharts summary

Well, once I figured out this documentation, it worked perfectly.

Hans, thanks!

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Flowcharts
@ 1999-09-17 12:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-17 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Some footnotes to the almost new m-chart module and its documentation.
> I just spend a couple of hours playing with it, and noticed some
> peculiarities that were not completely obvious from the documentation,
> as well as a rather nasty problem with texexec:

Ok, gives us something to do the next week.

> - texexec does not recognize the fact that flowcharts should always be
>   run twice if the setup parameters change (discovering this took me a
>   very long time)

Hm. This is something general. I think I should work out a general
signal mechsnism for that.

> - Just about very command within a cell is required

Most are indeed. At least there should be a shape.

> - All flowcharts are pre-defined using the buffer mechanism

Right. Saves much memory (we made this module for a document that had
some 200 large ones) and also is catcode robust.

> - I'm not sure I understand the relations between setup params
>   width= and maxwidth=

Maxwidth is still experimental, and used for autosplitting and
autoscaling charts, so one can set up a 50 by 60 cell chart and get it
split up in pieces or downscaled for convenient printing.

> - It should probably be documented that dx= and dy= refer to the
>   distance between the text and the cell boundaries (I still not
>   completely certain what exactly they control, but they have an
>   affect on the font size that, for me, was a complete surprise)

They are defined in terms of \bodyfontsize. This makes it possible to
autoscale charts. Of course one can use the normal 'external figure'
scaling (because that mechanism also supports buffer scaling) but then
all hyperlinks are screwed up, thanks to the fact that in acrobat they
are on a separate layer not subjective to scaling.

When I find a spare moment, I will experiment with such low level scaled
hyperlinks in inserts, either by keeping track of scaling or by usings
one of pdftex still secret experimental features.

> - maxwidth= is not mentioned in the \setupFLOWcharts summary

Hm. Remind me.

> Well, once I figured out this documentation, it worked perfectly.

(Even the dirty clipper?)

I will extend the module with straight lines (as suggested by tobias)
for binary charts. There will also be a proper interface to line types,
arrows, and more.

(Once I will implement tables this way.)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE