* chinese characters in an itemize environment
@ 2006-09-22  6:27 Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2006-09-22  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

If I use:

\startitemize[m,packed]
\item 三个小矮人 (some chinese characters)
\item Die drei Männlein im Walde
\stopitemize

I get more space between the number and the text in the
chinese line as in the latin line.
The difference is .3-.4em depending on the fonts.

How can I avoid this?

Greetings

Lutz

* Re: chinese characters in an itemize environment
@ 2006-09-22  9:25 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I use:
>
> \startitemize[m,packed]
> \item 三个小矮人 (some chinese characters)
> \item Die drei Männlein im Walde
> \stopitemize
>
> I get more space between the number and the text in the
> chinese line as in the latin line.
> The difference is .3-.4em depending on the fonts.
>
> How can I avoid this?

just guessing (but worth a try):

\setupitemgroups[inbetween=<any fixed dimen>]

The default is .5ex, which depends on the current font (see end of
core-itm.tex).

HTH, Peter

@ 2006-09-22  9:59   ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2006-09-22  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf schrieb:

> just guessing (but worth a try):
>
> \setupitemgroups[inbetween=<any fixed dimen>]
>
> The default is .5ex, which depends on the current font (see end of
> core-itm.tex).
>
> HTH, Peter

\setupitemgroups[inbetween=2cm]
doesn't work.

Iterestingly an inserted \mbox makes the "error" going away:

\startitemize[m,packed]
\item\mbox{}三个小矮人
\item\mbox{}Die drei Männlein im Walde
\stopitemize

Thats why i assume, this has to do with the chinese
characters, and not only with the different fonts.

@ 2006-09-22 11:07     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:
> Peter Rolf schrieb:
>> just guessing (but worth a try):
>>
>> \setupitemgroups[inbetween=<any fixed dimen>]
>>
>> The default is .5ex, which depends on the current font (see end of
>> core-itm.tex).
>>
>> HTH, Peter
>>

> \setupitemgroups[inbetween=2cm]
> doesn't work.
>
> Iterestingly an inserted \mbox makes the "error" going away:

It also works with \hbox{} or \null in front of the chinese text only.
So I guess you are right with your assumption, that it's a (chinese)
font specific problem. The additional indention of the chinese text is
only clearly visible, when you mix the languages.

Sorry, can't help you any further. BTW: is this the correct chinese
translation?

Greetings, Peter

@ 2006-09-27  5:47       ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2006-09-27  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf schrieb:
> Lutz Haseloff wrote:
>> Peter Rolf schrieb:
>>> just guessing (but worth a try):
>>>
>>> \setupitemgroups[inbetween=<any fixed dimen>]
>>>
>>> The default is .5ex, which depends on the current font (see end of
>>> core-itm.tex).
>>>
>>> HTH, Peter
>>>
>> \setupitemgroups[inbetween=2cm]
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> Iterestingly an inserted \mbox makes the "error" going away:
>>
> It also works with \hbox{} or \null in front of the chinese text only.
> So I guess you are right with your assumption, that it's a (chinese)
> font specific problem. The additional indention of the chinese text is
> only clearly visible, when you mix the languages.
>
> Sorry, can't help you any further. BTW: is this the correct chinese
> translation?
>
> Greetings, Peter
>
>> \startitemize[m,packed]
>> \item\mbox{}三个小矮人
>> \item\mbox{}Die drei Männlein im Walde
>> \stopitemize
>>
>> Thats why i assume, this has to do with the chinese
>> characters, and not only with the different fonts.

is there a cleaner way as to define something like
\def\myitem{\item\null} ?

Greetings

Lutz

Greetings