* Re: Very strange bug related to textbackground
       [not found] <mailman.82.1159253618.16231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-09-26  8:12 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2006-09-26  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>> I have been fighting with this one for ages, and have now narrowed down
>> the culprit, but I do not understand why it happens.
>>
>> Latest (non-beta) ConTeXt, also tested in the live garden (same result):
>>
> and the beta?

Just downloaded and tried beta 'ver 2006.09.25 23:38 MK II' - same
result I'm afraid.

Duncan

* Re: Very strange bug related to textbackground
@ 2006-09-26 10:06   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-09-26 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>> Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>>
>>> I have been fighting with this one for ages, and have now narrowed down
>>> the culprit, but I do not understand why it happens.
>>>
>>> Latest (non-beta) ConTeXt, also tested in the live garden (same result):
>>>

>> and the beta?
>>

> Just downloaded and tried beta 'ver 2006.09.25 23:38 MK II' - same
> result I'm afraid.

then i need a better test file + explanation

(or maybe i have some local patch)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-09-27  9:59     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-09-27  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
>>can someone confirm this with the latest beta? it seems to work here
>
> doesn't work here

It didn't work here either, but it did when I started using
Hans' experimental context source file. :-)

Taco

* Re: Very strange bug related to textbackground
@ 2006-09-27  9:05   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-27  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-09-27  8:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-09-27  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>>> Just downloaded and tried beta 'ver 2006.09.25 23:38 MK II' - same
>>> result I'm afraid.
>>>

>> then i need a better test file + explanation
>>
>> (or maybe i have some local patch)
>>
>> Hans
>>

> You are not seeing the effect?
>
> I have put some files up on the web, generated with the latest beta.
>
> The (bad) output and source with the \definetextbackground line in:
>
> http://www.capdm.com/public/context/test-bad.pdf
> http://www.capdm.com/public/context/test-bad.tex

can someone confirm this with the latest beta? it seems to work here
> The (good) output and source with the \definetextbackground line
> commented out:
>
> http://www.capdm.com/public/context/test-good.pdf
> http://www.capdm.com/public/context/test-good.tex
>
> I don't know if that will help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-09-26 11:01 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2006-09-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-09-25 22:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-09-25 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-09-25 19:18 ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-09-25 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't have a fix, only chiming in that I've seen the same issue.  It
happened when I was learning about backgrounds, so I figured it was my
ignorance and didn't save the test file.  But I'll try to reconstruct
it.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Very strange bug related to textbackground
@ 2006-09-25 14:15 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2006-09-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been fighting with this one for ages, and have now narrowed down
the culprit, but I do not understand why it happens.

Latest (non-beta) ConTeXt, also tested in the live garden (same result):

----
\setupcaption[figure][align=right,location=bottom]
\setupcaption[table][align=right,location=top]
%\definetextbackground[irrelevant][frame=on] %uncomment for weirdness

\starttext
\placetable[here]{\vtop{\hsize=105mm \dorecurse{12}{sample content }}}
{\bTABLE[option=stretch]
\bTR \bTD High\eTD\bTD Middling\eTD\bTD Low\eTD\eTR
\eTABLE}

\dorecurse{10}{sample content }

\placefigure[here]{\vtop{\hsize=105mm \dorecurse{12}{sample content
}}}{\framed[width=\textwidth,height=50mm,align={middle,lohi}]{sample}}
\stoptext
----

As it stands, this produces the expected output (a table and a figure
each with long captions, with the captions set 'hanging'). However, if I
define a totally unrelated textbackground (uncomment the third line),
both captions veer off upwards, apparently a distance related to the
number of lines in the title (play with the dorecurse numbers to see the
effects).

It doesn't seem to matter what the background is called, whether or not
it is ever used, or what parameters it is given.

I have no idea why something seemingly unrelated is having this effect;
some reuse of a variable or unreset value somewhere?

I would be really grateful if someone could [tell me how to] fix this.

Bests,

Duncan