* split natural table over columns
@ 2006-09-26  9:35 Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2006-09-26  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to make a natural table split over columns or columnsets?

For instance below I would like three cells in each column

\starttext
\startcolumns{3}
\placetable{}{
\bTABLE[split=repeat]
\dorecurse{9}{\bTR\bTD ha \eTD\eTR}
\eTABLE}
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

--
Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm

* Re: split natural table over columns
@ 2006-09-26 16:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-09-26 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> Is it possible to make a natural table split over columns or columnsets?
>
> For instance below I would like three cells in each column
>
> \starttext
> \startcolumns{3}
> \placetable{}{
> \bTABLE[split=repeat]
> \dorecurse{9}{\bTR\bTD ha \eTD\eTR}
> \eTABLE}
> \stopcolumns
> \stoptext

pretty complex: balancing and afterwards splitting graphics and such;
beyond my current ambitions

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-09-26 17:27 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johan,

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> Is it possible to make a natural table split over columns or columnsets?

see

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview

what is possible and what is not. Currently only *linetable* is
supporting horizontal splitting. The syntax looks similar to TABLE, but
I don't know the details (never used it). Anyhow worth a try...

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Linetable

But I don't understand why you want to split a table over columns. You
can reach this effect by using offsets (or empty columns if you use
backgrounds or frames), beside from the (in my eyes) strange look. And
how will you guarantee that a complete table line is horizontally
aligned inside of columns (and pages)? Sounds like overkill to me ;)

Peter

@ 2006-09-26 19:14   ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2006-09-26 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

> But I don't understand why you want to split a table over columns. You
> can reach this effect by using offsets (or empty columns if you use
> backgrounds or frames), beside from the (in my eyes) strange look. And
> how will you guarantee that a complete table line is horizontally
> aligned inside of columns (and pages)? Sounds like overkill to me ;)

I don't understand how you mean with offsets or empty columns, do you
have an example? I wanted the functionality for a very narrow table in
a booklet where paper economy is a great concern. It does not matter
if it is horizontally aligned, a hole at the end (though ugly) might
still save an entire page for other useful information. Of course it
is overkill, but since every strange request on this list usually
leads to a pointer to functionality implemented several years back, I
figured it couldn't hurt to ask ...

Johan

@ 2006-09-26 21:14     ` Peter Rolf
       [not found]       ` <97a06f070609270025w12937d62m1880e725eb00caf1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-26 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johan,

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> Hi
>
>> But I don't understand why you want to split a table over columns. You
>> can reach this effect by using offsets (or empty columns if you use
>> backgrounds or frames), beside from the (in my eyes) strange look. And
>> how will you guarantee that a complete table line is horizontally
>> aligned inside of columns (and pages)? Sounds like overkill to me ;)
>
> I don't understand how you mean with offsets or empty columns, do you
> have an example? I wanted the functionality for a very narrow table in
> a booklet where paper economy is a great concern. It does not matter
> if it is horizontally aligned, a hole at the end (though ugly) might
> still save an entire page for other useful information. Of course it
> is overkill, but since every strange request on this list usually
> leads to a pointer to functionality implemented several years back, I
> figured it couldn't hurt to ask ...

Sorry, I have missed that your test table has only one column (really
narrow). So offset and empty column are pretty useless. :)
I thought there were 9 table columns, that should be split over the
three page columns.

So all depends on the exact size of your table. Can you make a minimal
example?

Greetings, Peter

@ 2006-09-27  9:14         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-27  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> What is missing from the example that started the thread?

Nothing, but I think it would be a waste of time. Instead of a one
column table (of this size) I would use
\startitemize[n,columns,three] or simply change the orientation of the
table and use column spanning (columns.pdf).
In my eyes a one column table is the wrong approach to present such content.

Peter

@ 2006-09-27  9:28           ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2006-09-27  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good point, in the actual case there were two columns, a name and a
number. The reason for using the table is align the name to the left
and the number to the right. So a more realistic example is something
like

\starttext
\bTABLE
\setupTABLE[c][1][align=right]
\setupTABLE[c][2][align=left]
\dorecurse{10}{
  \bTR\bTD foo\eTD\bTD 123\eTD\eTR
  \bTR\bTD b  \eTD\bTD 123456\eTD\eTR}
\eTABLE
\stoptext

Thank you for your interest.

Regards, Johan

@ 2006-09-27 12:00             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> Good point, in the actual case there were two columns, a name and a
> number. The reason for using the table is align the name to the left
> and the number to the right. So a more realistic example is something
> like
>
> \starttext
> \bTABLE
> \setupTABLE[c][1][align=right]
> \setupTABLE[c][2][align=left]
> \dorecurse{10}{
>   \bTR\bTD foo\eTD\bTD 123\eTD\eTR
>   \bTR\bTD b  \eTD\bTD 123456\eTD\eTR}
> \eTABLE
> \stoptext

So there is no need to split that table. I would suggest to only
rearrange it a bit for your column layout. Also TABLE is not the best
choise here (I'm no table expert, but I think table is better here).

%\SetTableToWidth\hsize
\starttable[|l|r|l|r|]
\dorecurse{10}{%
  \VL foo \NC 123 \VL[2] b   \NC 12345 \VL\AR}
\stoptable

For more details about table see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table

HTH, Peter

@ 2006-09-27 12:12               ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-27 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Johan Sandblom wrote:
>> Good point, in the actual case there were two columns, a name and a
>> number. The reason for using the table is align the name to the left
>> and the number to the right. So a more realistic example is something
>> like
>>
>> \starttext
>> \bTABLE
>> \setupTABLE[c][1][align=right]
>> \setupTABLE[c][2][align=left]
>> \dorecurse{10}{
>>   \bTR\bTD foo\eTD\bTD 123\eTD\eTR
>>   \bTR\bTD b  \eTD\bTD 123456\eTD\eTR}
>> \eTABLE
>> \stoptext
>>
> So there is no need to split that table. I would suggest to only
> rearrange it a bit for your column layout. Also TABLE is not the best
> choise here (I'm no table expert, but I think table is better here).
>
> %\SetTableToWidth\hsize
> \starttable[|l|r|l|r|]
  \HL
> \dorecurse{10}{%
>   \VL foo \NC 123 \VL[2] b   \NC 12345 \VL\AR}
  \HL
> \stoptable
>
> For more details about table see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table