* Natural table + interlinespacing
@ 2006-10-11 13:00 Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2006-10-11 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd love natural tables except for one aspect that drives me crazy: How
do I diminish the interlinespacing in my table? That is, I want the
lines in the multiline cells to be closer together.
The overall interlinespacing is default, i.e. I haven't used
\setupinterlinespace in the setup of my document.

Mari
(with a "#¤#"¤ table that doesn't want to fit on its page)

* Re: Natural table + interlinespacing
@ 2006-10-11 14:41 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2006-10-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

2006/10/11, Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>:

> I'd love natural tables except for one aspect that drives me crazy: How
> do I diminish the interlinespacing in my table? That is, I want the
> lines in the multiline cells to be closer together.
> The overall interlinespacing is default, i.e. I haven't used
> \setupinterlinespace in the setup of my document.

Hi Mari,

can you make a minimum example of your problem.

One way to make your table smaller is to use another bodyfontsize.

  \setupTABLE[bodyfont=small] will help u.

Wolfgang

* Re: Natural table + interlinespacing
@ 2006-10-11 15:29   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-10-11 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/11/06, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> 2006/10/11, Mari Voipio:
> >
> > I'd love natural tables except for one aspect that drives me crazy: How
> > do I diminish the interlinespacing in my table? That is, I want the
> > lines in the multiline cells to be closer together.
> > The overall interlinespacing is default, i.e. I haven't used
> > \setupinterlinespace in the setup of my document.
>

> Hi Mari,
>
> can you make a minimum example of your problem.
>
> One way to make your table smaller is to use another bodyfontsize.
>
>   \setupTABLE[bodyfont=small] will help u.

I don't know if we're talking about the same problem, but what I hate
about natural tables as well (although I use them all the time) is
very bad spacing: horizontal offset is too narrow and vertical offset
is too big (well, it also depends on content, but in general
"\starttable/tabulate" looks much better regarding spacing).

If I want smaller table I usually do
\startbuffer[name]
... table ...
\stopbuffer
\externalfigure[\jobname-name.tmp][scale=...]

but that is not *the* solution. Tables still look "bad" that way. The
main problem is that there is no special parameter for "horizonal
offset" and "vertical offset" for \framed, otherwise the user could
modify that at least to some extent. I have no idea how "usual tables"
create "nice spacing".

Mojca

* Re: Natural table + interlinespacing
@ 2006-10-11 19:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-11 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mari Voipio wrote:
> I'd love natural tables except for one aspect that drives me crazy: How
> do I diminish the interlinespacing in my table? That is, I want the
> lines in the multiline cells to be closer together.
> The overall interlinespacing is default, i.e. I haven't used
> \setupinterlinespace in the setup of my document.
>

> Mari
> (with a "#�#"� table that doesn't want to fit on its page)

just scale the table to textheight then -)

* Re: Natural table + interlinespacing
@ 2006-10-11 19:55     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I don't know if we're talking about the same problem, but what I hate
> about natural tables as well (although I use them all the time) is
> very bad spacing: horizontal offset is too narrow and vertical offset
> is too big (well, it also depends on content, but in general
> "\starttable/tabulate" looks much better regarding spacing).
>
> If I want smaller table I usually do
> \startbuffer[name]
> .... table ...
> \stopbuffer
> \externalfigure[\jobname-name.tmp][scale=...]
>
> but that is not *the* solution. Tables still look "bad" that way. The
> main problem is that there is no special parameter for "horizonal
> offset" and "vertical offset" for \framed, otherwise the user could
> modify that at least to some extent. I have no idea how "usual tables"
> create "nice spacing".

the ofsset is around all edged (maybe some day i will add more offsets but only when my machine is 10 times faster)

the vertical spacing is just as in normal text and is detemined by the strutheight / depth and lineheight; of course you can change that but it may make your docs sensitive for unequal spacing

tabulate uses the line parameters as well  and the other table mechanism as (imo) bad spacing in paragraphs anyway

anyhow, you can make 'm as ugly as you want

\starttext

\setupcolors[state=start]

\startsetups mojca
    \setupinterlinespace[.8]
    \leftskip2em
    \rightskip2em
\stopsetups

\setupTABLE [setups=mojca]

\setupTABLE [y]    [first][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=on,framecolor=white]
\setupTABLE [first][first][backgroundcorner=2,corner=10,frame=on]
\setupTABLE [last] [first][backgroundcorner=4,corner=12,frame=on]

\setupTABLE [row]  [each] [background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,frame=on,framecolor=white]
\setupTABLE [first][2]    [corner=8]
\setupTABLE [last] [2]    [corner=5]
\setupTABLE [first][last] [corner=7]
\setupTABLE [last] [last] [corner=6]

\startTEXpage
\bTABLE[frame=off,align=middle]
\bTR \bTD one   \eTD \bTD two    \eTD \bTD three \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD first \eTD \bTD second \eTD \bTD third \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD alpha \eTD \bTD beta   \eTD \bTD gamma \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE
\stopTEXpage

\stoptext

the corner trickery is in the latest beta (made that today) - don't ask why -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE