* beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-09 12:34 Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-10-09 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

the vertical line symbol "|" (pipe) breaks \processaction (no problem
with the latest stable version). The minimal example at the end of this
message results in:

[..]
systems         : begin file processaction at line 3
! Undefined control sequence.
\dotextmodediscretionary ...up \let \nextnextnext
                                                  \egroup \def \next
##1#1{\...

\p!compareprocessaction ...]->\edef \!!stringb {#1
                                                  }\ifx \!!stringb
\s!defaul...

\next1 #1,->\p!doprocessaction {#1}
                                   \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> =>,
               unknown=>
\processnextcommalist ...dodoprocesscommaitem #4#5
                                                  ,]\relax \global
\advance ...
l.9   unknown=>]

?

Greetings, Peter

-----

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\starttext

\def\FOO{}

\processaction[\FOO][
  |=>,
  unknown=>]

\stoptext

* Re: beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-09 13:50 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-09 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> \processaction[\FOO][
>   |=>,
>   unknown=>]

hm, | and ~ are always special, put \string in fron tof it, or use \letterbar and \lettertilde

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-09 14:03   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-10-09 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> \processaction[\FOO][
>>   |=>,
>>   unknown=>]
>>
> hm, | and ~ are always special, put \string in fron tof it, or use \letterbar and \lettertilde

hm, same error if I use \string| or \letterbar

Peter

> Hans

* Re: beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-09 18:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> \processaction[\FOO][
>>>   |=>,
>>>   unknown=>]
>>>

>> hm, | and ~ are always special, put \string in fron tof it, or use \letterbar and \lettertilde
>>

> hm, same error if I use \string| or \letterbar

do you have a minimal tes file?

a solution may be

\let\savedbarcommand=|

\unexpanded\def|{\savedbarcommand}

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-09 20:34       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-10-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> hm, | and ~ are always special, put \string in fron tof it, or use \letterbar and \lettertilde
>>>

>> hm, same error if I use \string| or \letterbar
>>
> do you have a minimal tes file?

not any longer...

> a solution may be
>
> \let\savedbarcommand=|
>
> \unexpanded\def|{\savedbarcommand}

I'll try this tomorrow and also try to make a new minimal example.
Thanks anyway,

Peter

* Re: beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-11 10:55       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-10-11 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> hm, | and ~ are always special, put \string in fron tof it, or use \letterbar and \lettertilde
>>>

>> hm, same error if I use \string| or \letterbar
>>
> do you have a minimal tes file?
>
> a solution may be
>
> \let\savedbarcommand=|
>
> \unexpanded\def|{\savedbarcommand}

Yes, this works.

I've tried to create a minimal example, but in the end all points to the
fact, that "|" is a special character. So even the use of "|" as
argument of some macro like

 \FOO[data={||abcx}]{..}

is not recommended (without prior catcode change). I use the symbols as
an abbreviation for different MP graphics, and it wouldn't make sense to
write \letterbar every time. Looks like I have to choose a different symbol.

Greetings, Peter

* Re: beta (processaction & "|")
@ 2006-10-11 20:02         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Peter Rolf wrote:

>>> hm, same error if I use \string| or \letterbar
>>>

>> do you have a minimal tes file?
>>
>> a solution may be
>>
>> \let\savedbarcommand=|
>>
>> \unexpanded\def|{\savedbarcommand}
>>

> Yes, this works.
>
> I've tried to create a minimal example, but in the end all points to the
> fact, that "|" is a special character. So even the use of "|" as
> argument of some macro like
>
>  \FOO[data={||abcx}]{..}
>
> is not recommended (without prior catcode change). I use the symbols as
> an abbreviation for different MP graphics, and it wouldn't make sense to
> write \letterbar every time. Looks like I have to choose a different symbol.

still experimental is that you can change the catcodetable (pseudo in
mkii, native in mkiv) but i won't bring up it's dirty details here

\let\savedbarcommand=|

\unexpanded\def|{\savedbarcommand}

this makes them unexpandable but still using ~ and | for such purposes is kind of tricky

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE