* Re: Problems mapping Xml into ConTeXt
       [not found] <mailman.1.1160560804.6611.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2006-10-12  3:36 ` Michael Wigston
From: Michael Wigston @ 2006-10-12  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Michael Wigston wrote:
> > 1.  This def of <u> does nothing ...
> > \defineXMLgrouped [u] \underbar
> >
> \defineXMLargument[u]{\underbar}
>
> underbar is not a font switch but a macro that takes an argument

Hans,

Thanks, that works fine with \underbar, as well as \underbars,
\overstrike, \overstrikes, \low, \high and \lohi.

You mentioned that \underbar (and presumably the others I mentioned above)
are macros taking arguments e.g. \acommand{...}. However presumably
something like \midaligned{...}  is also a macro requiring an argument,
but this works as a \defineXMLgrouped and as a \defineXMLargument - why
does it  work with both?

The manual "XML in ConTeXt" very briefly sketched over these XML commands
and I can see great potential to use them directly on XML to generate
ConTeXt for PDF rather than the XSLT/XSL-FO route which seems to be
gaining momentum in much of the industry. I don't suppose there is another
more detailed document which elaborates on the XML commands, and how you
may determine which of these is most appropriate for what kind of ConTeXt
command mapping?

Also at the moment a non-mapped element seems to automatically type out
its contents as straight text - is there a way to override this behaviour
and specify this as an error? (This is rather like the Ruby duck-typing
approach - if an XML element is mapped, process it, else it is an error).

Michael
NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.  They may contain legally privileged or copyright material.  You should not read, copy, use or disclose them without authorisation.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender as soon as possible by return e-mail and then please delete both messages.  This notice should not be removed.

* Re: Problems mapping Xml into ConTeXt
@ 2006-10-12  6:53   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-12  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Wigston wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Michael Wigston wrote:
> > > 1.  This def of <u> does nothing ...
> > > \defineXMLgrouped [u] \underbar
> > >
> > \defineXMLargument[u]{\underbar}
> >
> > underbar is not a font switch but a macro that takes an argument
>
> Hans,
>
> Thanks, that works fine with \underbar, as well as \underbars,
> \overstrike, \overstrikes, \low, \high and \lohi.
>
> You mentioned that \underbar (and presumably the others I mentioned
> above) are macros taking arguments e.g. \acommand{...}. However
> presumably something like \midaligned{...}  is also a macro requiring
> an argument, but this works as a \defineXMLgrouped and as a
> \defineXMLargument - why does it  work with both?
the macro ones do manipulate their argument, for instance, underbar is
not a font charateristic or color switch or so i.e. not a real
attribute; esp using setups will make your style look better (look into
x-fo for instance, forget about the dirty tricks there, but it's pretty
clean; mapping values and so save many macro definitions

> The manual "XML in ConTeXt" very briefly sketched over these XML
> commands and I can see great potential to use them directly on XML to
> generate ConTeXt for PDF rather than the XSLT/XSL-FO route which seems
> to be gaining momentum in much of the industry. I don't suppose there
> is another more detailed document which elaborates on the XML
> commands, and how you may determine which of these is most appropriate
> for what kind of ConTeXt command mapping?
you can take a look into the x-* files which show quite some mappings;
indeed direct mapping is often more convenient than transformations;
future versions of context will also offer more manipulation possibilities

> Also at the moment a non-mapped element seems to automatically type
> out its contents as straight text - is there a way to override this
> behaviour and specify this as an error? (This is rather like the Ruby
> duck-typing approach - if an XML element is mapped, process it, else
> it is an error).
\startXMLignore
\stopXMLignore

in xtag-pre you can see:

\defineXMLenvironment [\s!default] \defaultXMLelement \defaultXMLelement
\defineXMLsingular    [\s!default] \defaultXMLelement

% \def\defaultXMLelement
%   {\iftraceXMLelements[\currentXMLfullidentifier]\fi}

\def\defaultXMLelement
  {\iftraceXMLelements{\infofont<\currentXMLfullidentifier>}\fi}

%D We can use the default handler to implement automatic
%D element hiding. Beware: this overloads the tracer.

\def\startXMLignore{\dododefineXMLignore \s!default}
\def\stopXMLignore {\dododefineXMLprocess\s!default}

so you can play with the default handlers

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-10-13  0:43     ` Michael Wigston
From: Michael Wigston @ 2006-10-13  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Michael Wigston wrote:
> >
> > Hans Hagen wrote:
> > > >
> > > \defineXMLargument[u]{\underbar}
> > >
> > > underbar is not a font switch but a macro that takes an argument
> >
> > Hans,
> >
> > Thanks, that works fine with \underbar, as well as \underbars,
> > \overstrike, \overstrikes, \low, \high and \lohi.
> >
> > You mentioned that \underbar (and presumably the others I mentioned
> > above) are macros taking arguments e.g. \acommand{...}. However
> > presumably something like \midaligned{...}  is also a macro requiring
> > an argument, but this works as a \defineXMLgrouped and as a
> > \defineXMLargument - why does it  work with both?
> the macro ones do manipulate their argument, for instance, underbar is
> not a font charateristic or color switch or so i.e. not a real
> attribute; esp using setups will make your style look better (look into
> x-fo for instance, forget about the dirty tricks there, but it's pretty
> clean; mapping values and so save many macro definitions
> >
> > The manual "XML in ConTeXt" very briefly sketched over these XML
> > commands and I can see great potential to use them directly on XML to
> > generate ConTeXt for PDF rather than the XSLT/XSL-FO route which seems

> > to be gaining momentum in much of the industry. I don't suppose there
> > is another more detailed document which elaborates on the XML
> > commands, and how you may determine which of these is most appropriate

> > for what kind of ConTeXt command mapping?
> you can take a look into the x-* files which show quite some mappings;
> indeed direct mapping is often more convenient than transformations;
> future versions of context will also offer more manipulation
possibilities

> > Also at the moment a non-mapped element seems to automatically type
> > out its contents as straight text - is there a way to override this
> > behaviour and specify this as an error? (This is rather like the Ruby
> > duck-typing approach - if an XML element is mapped, process it, else
> > it is an error).
> \startXMLignore
> \stopXMLignore
>
> in xtag-pre you can see:
>
> \defineXMLenvironment [\s!default] \defaultXMLelement \defaultXMLelement
> \defineXMLsingular    [\s!default] \defaultXMLelement
>
> % \def\defaultXMLelement
> %   {\iftraceXMLelements[\currentXMLfullidentifier]\fi}
>
> \def\defaultXMLelement
>   {\iftraceXMLelements{\infofont<\currentXMLfullidentifier>}\fi}
>
> %D We can use the default handler to implement automatic
> %D element hiding. Beware: this overloads the tracer.
>
> \def\startXMLignore{\dododefineXMLignore \s!default}
> \def\stopXMLignore {\dododefineXMLprocess\s!default}
>
> so you can play with the default handlers

Thanks, looks like I'll have to do some digging in the x-* files ...

Regards,

@ 2006-10-11  7:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-11  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-10-11  5:12 Michael Wigston