* Compiling the magazines
@ 2006-11-05 12:10 J. R. Capablanca
From: J. R. Capablanca @ 2006-11-05 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone!
I'm trying to get started with ConText. I've setup a stand alone install
with perl and ruby on windows (last version).
I was quite impressed with the "This way" magazine layout... and was trying
to compile the example code that comes in the 000 edition.
But the result is nothing like the original: all side texts are on wrong
places, body text goes through the paper margins: a mess!

Maybe some margins or papersize settings that are implicit and I don't have
in my environment ?
I'd be glad if somebody could give me some tips on this!
The code is pasted below.
Thanks in advance,
JR
- - - - - - -

\usemodule[mag-01]

\setvariables
[magazine]
[title={Introduction},
author=Hans Hagen,
affiliation=PRAGMA ADE,
date=Januari 2003,
number=0]
\startbuffer[abstract]
This is the zero issue of a semi periodical. The
associated style can be used by \CONTEXT\ users to
typeset and publish their own issues.
\stopbuffer
\starttext \setups [titlepage] \setups [title]
\setupheadertexts[welcome]
This is the zero issue of a range of \CONTEXT\ related
publications, in most cases short introductions to new
functionality. The style may be used by users for providing
similar documents, but preferably not for other purposes,
since it may confuse readers in their expectations.
We've chosen a layout which is more functional than
beautiful. This layout provides several text areas: headers
and footers, margins and edges as well as a main text area.
The surrounding (gray) makes the main page (which is
slightly smaller than A4) stand out and is suitable for
viewing in spread mode.
The documents produced at \PRAGMA\ are called {\bf This
Way}, user documents gets the title {\bf My Way}. The
\PRAGMA\ issues are numbered. We strongly advise you not to
use the \type {mag-} prefix for your issues, since this may
lead to clashes with files distributed by \PRAGMA.
\setups [listing] \setups [lastpage] \stoptext

* Re: Compiling the magazines
@ 2006-11-05 17:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I'm trying to get started with ConText. I've setup a stand alone
> install with perl and ruby on windows (last version).
> I was quite impressed with the "This way" magazine layout... and was
> trying to compile the example code that comes in the 000 edition.
> But the result is nothing like the original: all side texts are on
> wrong places, body text goes through the paper margins: a mess!
>
> Maybe some margins or papersize settings that are implicit and I don't
> have in my environment ?
> I'd be glad if somebody could give me some tips on this!
> The code is pasted below.
> Thanks in advance,
looks weird indeed; i'll have a look

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Compiling the magazines
@ 2006-11-06  8:25   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> J. R. Capablanca wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>> I'm trying to get started with ConText. I've setup a stand alone
>> install with perl and ruby on windows (last version).
>> I was quite impressed with the "This way" magazine layout... and was
>> trying to compile the example code that comes in the 000 edition.
>> But the result is nothing like the original: all side texts are on
>> wrong places, body text goes through the paper margins: a mess!
>>
>> Maybe some margins or papersize settings that are implicit and I don't
>> have in my environment ?
>> I'd be glad if somebody could give me some tips on this!
>> The code is pasted below.
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
> looks weird indeed; i'll have a look

ok, will be fixed in next beta; has to do with page dimensions being defined in terms of themselves which mean that we need to freeze them in order not to get something (special case in this style)

pagesize = .8 \pagesize
pagesize = .8 \pagesize
pagesize = .8 \pagesize

which in the end comes down to a pretty small one

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE