* character redefinition environment
@ 2006-11-05 14:49 Enzo Cordes
From: Enzo Cordes @ 2006-11-05 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I want to assign Metapost graphics to single letters (in a newly defined
evironment, that take care of these assignments). The purpose is being
able to rapidly build huge tables containing lots of these symbols.

Everything works fine if I assign these graphics to non-letters, e.g.
"|", but somehow it doesn't work with normal letters.

Here is what I tried (with a simple Foo instead of Metapost graphics):

\definesymbol[foosymbol][{\tt Foo}]
\def\startmychars{%
\bgroup\catcode`\|=\active\def|{\symbol[foosymbol]}}
\def\stopmychars{\egroup}

This works with | as reassigned character without any problems. But, we
want to have normal characters in the table, no punctuation marks, etc.
Does anyone know what to do to reassign a special definition for a
letter e.g. like uppercase B or else?

I got this error:
(/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex)
! Undefined control sequence.
\startmychars ...up \catcode `\B=\active \defB
                                                   {\symbol[foosymbol]}
l.24 \startmychars

which seems to indicate that B is not recognized as active character in
the "\defB"?

Any hints very welcome,
Enzo.