* Some questions about luatex
@ 2006-11-07  8:45 luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2006-11-07  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi some questions about luatex
(www.luatex.org)
1) will be possible some code like
\luatry{%
...tex code}
\luaexcept{
..tex code}
2) will be possible to embedding some other language ie Python (of
course, reading the C source) ?

Thanks in advance
luigi

* Re: Some questions about luatex
@ 2006-11-07  8:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-07  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> hi some questions about luatex
> (www.luatex.org)
> 1) will be possible some code like
> \luatry{%
> ....tex code}
> \luaexcept{
> ...tex code}
> 2) will be possible to embedding some other language ie Python (of
> course, reading the C source) ?

i'm not sure what you mean here

\somelua{ lua code that may or may not give back tex input }

if you mean that we can use lua for pretty printing, then the answer is yes, in my mkiv code there is already a lua based pretty printing framework

Hans

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-07 10:04 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-11-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> hi some questions about luatex
> (www.luatex.org)
> 1) will be possible some code like
> \luatry{%
> ...tex code}
> \luaexcept{
> ..tex code}

Guess at what you want: maybe, but not right away. The \luatry
would have to save quite a bit of state information for this
to be useful, which is not feasible on short notice (imagine
having to save some 400+ globals and hooking into a few dozen
data structure operations)

> 2) will be possible to embedding some other language ie Python (of
> course, reading the C source) ?

If you want to change the sources yourself, then yes. Otherwise
no. If luatex were to allow this without recompile, nobody could
rely on a stable platform for interchange of documents.

Greetigngs, Taco