From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: relative scaling for fonts
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:15:14 +0000	[thread overview]

� wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using XeTeX one of the features that I miss at most from XeLaTeX
> (from fontspec), is the possibility to set automatically the scaling of
> fonts so that they match the lowercase or uppercase letters of the roman
> font. I wonder whether there is something similar for ConTeXt.

as already answered in other mails this is possible with the rscale
option in typefaces (is completely unrelated to xetex and has been part
of the regular context font mechanisms for quite some time)

You can use

\showfontstrip
\showminimalbaseline

and alike

relative scaling is not automatic (trivial to implement) simply because
it's a visual thing; having similar x-heights is not always the best
> By the way, the ConTeXt uses in my view, the wrong XeTeX way to set the
> interlinear space, since it seems that \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics is set to
> 0. Probably I should be missing something, but if \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics
> is not set to 1, ConTeXt will set the interlinear space not by itself,
> but following the glyph metrics and in some fonts the font height. I
> guess it would be better to use \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics=1.

o must admit that i don't keep track of such things; since interline
space as well as struct height/depth rations are document properties (a
document can use many different fonts) deriving one automatically cq.
adapting it automatically based on font properties can be dangerous

does this mean that when

\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics=0 (default)

xetex will mess around with the interlinespace? that would be a bad default behaviour

Hans