From: "Pablo Rodríguez" <oinos@web.de>
Subject: Re: relative scaling for fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:56:05 +0100	[thread overview]

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> After using \showfontstrip to get fonts with the same x-height by
>> calculating the rscale factor, I guess it would be very useful (at least
>> for me) to have an option that calculates relative scaling automatically
>> to match both x-heights.
>>
>> I think it would be a useful option for rscale.
>>
> hm, it's not that hard to do, but then the question is: what is the reference font; also, my experience is that an automated scaling in most cases looks as ugly as no scaling; it's a visual thing; the xheight is a factor but the 'boldness' too

The reference font would be the roman font and the automated scaling
with the same x-height might be wrong in some cases, but it is a useful
starting point to start learning for newcomers (like me) how to set the
proper visual scaling factor.

My most common scenario for font scaling is not roman with sansserif or
typewritter, but roman Latin with roman Greek characters and setting the
same x-height for both. And I thought there were fine with the same
x-height for both.

My typographical ability wouldn't let my set other relative scaling
factor other than 1 or the same x-height for both fonts.

Thanks,

Pablo