* texmfstart problem (long time spend somewhere)
@ 2006-12-12 10:37 Denis Pinsard
From: Denis Pinsard @ 2006-12-12 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

For near two years I use ConTeXt under the MiTeX distribution.
Last weekend I installed the last version of ConTeXt (2006-07-21)
available on MikTeX.
Since this installation, the program texmfstart don't work correctly.

After the command : "texmfstart texexec first.tex"
nothing happen for a long time before texexec is actualy executed.

After the command : "texmfstart --verbose texexec first.tex", I can see :

  texmfstart version 2.0.0
  expanding 'texexec' to 'texexec.rb'
  locating 'texexec.rb' in current path '.'
  locating 'texexec.rb' in caller path 'C:/documents/proxima/tmp'

  <LONG TIME (about 1 min)>

  kpse     : direct (forced)
  using 'kpsewhich' to locate 'texexec' in suffix space 'rb' (1)
  registering 'texexec' as 'C:/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb'
  registering 'THREAD' as 'C:/texmf/scripts/context/ruby'
  starting texexec
  using 'system' call: ruby C:/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb
first.tex
  TeXExec | processing document 'first.tex'

  <ETC>

If  I execute "texmfstart.rb" instead of "texmfstart.exe" the behaviour
is the same
but I see that the time is spent in the "KpseRemote::start_client" method.

I have installed on the same computer a stand-alone version of ConTexT and
the behaviour is the same.

The have installed a new version of ruby (version 1.8.4) and the
behaviour is the same.

Any help on this problem is wellcome.
Thank you.
Denis Pinsard (dpinsard1@free.fr)

* Re: texmfstart problem (long time spend somewhere)
@ 2006-12-12 17:09 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-12-12 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/12/06, Denis Pinsard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For near two years I use ConTeXt under the MiTeX distribution.
> Last weekend I installed the last version of ConTeXt (2006-07-21)
> available on MikTeX.

Try to install MikTeX 2.5. Since the move from 2.4 to 2.5 when the
author made our wish true (to move from the old perl scripts to new
ruby texmfstart), new releases of ConTeXt don't work any more on
MikTeX 2.4. (texmfstart requires a feature that is not present in
MikTeX 2.4)

I had other problems than the ones you describe, but try to see if
upgrading helps.

The standalone version should not be influenced by MikTeX by any means
and should work. I suspect that MikTeX executables might be called if
environment is not initialized properly ...

Mojca

* Re: texmfstart problem (long time spend somewhere)
@ 2006-12-12 22:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-12 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Denis Pinsard wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> For near two years I use ConTeXt under the MiTeX distribution.
>> Last weekend I installed the last version of ConTeXt (2006-07-21)
>> available on MikTeX.
>>

> Try to install MikTeX 2.5. Since the move from 2.4 to 2.5 when the
> author made our wish true (to move from the old perl scripts to new
> ruby texmfstart), new releases of ConTeXt don't work any more on
> MikTeX 2.4. (texmfstart requires a feature that is not present in
> MikTeX 2.4)
>
> I had other problems than the ones you describe, but try to see if
> upgrading helps.

alternatively, if you don't want to update to 2.5, copy a kpsewhich from
texlive to your miktex bin path

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-12-12 22:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Pinsard wrote:

-- see mojca's answer --

>   <LONG TIME (about 1 min)>

usually this means that the only way left to locate the script is to scan the whole texmf tree

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-12-12 22:46   ` Denis Pinsard
From: Denis Pinsard @ 2006-12-12 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec a écrit :

>Try to install MikTeX 2.5. ...
>
>The standalone version should not be influenced by MikTeX by any means
>and should work.

Same behaviour with MikTeX 2.5

I have renamed the MikTeX directory and suppressed the reference to
MikTeX in the PATH;
then the stand alone version had the same behaviour :
The command "texexec --version" takes about one minute before producing
the result :
TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD