* ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03  7:24 Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren @ 2007-01-03  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've upgraded to the most recent version of ConTeXt now.  I try to
set Norwegian hyphenation by saying

\language[no]
\setuplanguage[no]

however, as opposed to in the previous version, there are no
hyphenations at all.  I wonder if it is to do with the pattern file
used – how do I set that?  and how can I make sure that the correct
patterns are used?

--
Rolf Lindgren
roffe@extern.uio.no

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03  8:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> I've upgraded to the most recent version of ConTeXt now.  I try to
> set Norwegian hyphenation by saying
>
> \language[no]
> \setuplanguage[no]
>
> however, as opposed to in the previous version, there are no
> hyphenations at all.  I wonder if it is to do with the pattern file
> used � how do I set that?  and how can I make sure that the correct
> patterns are used?

There should be (in the latest) zip

     2,392 lang-no.hyp
   215,824 lang-no.pat

I found out that the norwegian pattern files went from

nohyph.tex -> nohyph1.tex -> nohyph2.tex -> nohyphb.tex -> nohyphbx.tex

and we can only guess what name we will have next; no bigger mess than
pattern mess.

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03  8:41   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-03  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> � wrote:
>
>>I've upgraded to the most recent version of ConTeXt now.  I try to
>>set Norwegian hyphenation by saying
>>
>>\language[no]
>>\setuplanguage[no]
>>
>>however, as opposed to in the previous version, there are no
>>hyphenations at all.  I wonder if it is to do with the pattern file
>>used � how do I set that?  and how can I make sure that the correct
>>patterns are used?

Did you uncomment this line in cont-usr.tex:

    % \installlanguage [\s!no] [\c!state=\v!start] % norwegian

?

Best, Taco

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 10:50     ` Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren @ 2007-01-03 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3. jan. 2007, at 9:41, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Did you uncomment this line in cont-usr.tex:
>
>     % \installlanguage [\s!no] [\c!state=\v!start] % norwegian
>
> ?

yes.

I've tried with showhyphens, and it seems that certain tricky words
are hyphenated correctly.  however, ConTeXt no longer hyphenates
“psykolog”, and “psykometriker” is hyphenated as psykometrik-er.

I use

	\installlanguage
	[no]
	[spacing=broad,
	leftsentence=,
	rightsentence=,
	leftsubsentence=,
	rightsubsentence=,
	leftquote=\leftguillemot,
	rightquote=\rightguillemot,
	leftquotation=\leftguillemot,
	rightquotation=\rightguillemot,
	date={month,\ ,day,{,\ },year},
	default=no,
	state=stop]

	\language[no]
	\setuplanguage[no]

and get the error message

	systems         : system commands are disabled
	(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/tex/context/user/cont-roffe.tex
	language        : patterns for no not loaded
	check           : missing or ungrouped '=' after 'no' in line 25
(@@lano)

Line 25 is the first line after \setuplanguage[no]

Is this in any way significant?

--
Rolf Lindgren
roffe@extern.uio.no

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 12:16       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> On 3. jan. 2007, at 9:41, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> Did you uncomment this line in cont-usr.tex:
>>
>>     % \installlanguage [\s!no] [\c!state=\v!start] % norwegian
>>
>> ?
>>

> yes.
>
> I've tried with showhyphens, and it seems that certain tricky words
> are hyphenated correctly.  however, ConTeXt no longer hyphenates
> �psykolog�, and �psykometriker� is hyphenated as psykometrik-er.

that's why i asked ... what encoding are those files in (i assume ec but if not, we need to correct for that (grep ctxtools for 'no'))

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 12:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> � wrote:
>>

>>> I've upgraded to the most recent version of ConTeXt now.  I try to
>>> set Norwegian hyphenation by saying
>>>
>>> \language[no]
>>> \setuplanguage[no]
>>>
>>> however, as opposed to in the previous version, there are no
>>> hyphenations at all.  I wonder if it is to do with the pattern file
>>> used � how do I set that?  and how can I make sure that the correct
>>> patterns are used?
>>>

> Did you uncomment this line in cont-usr.tex:
>
>     % \installlanguage [\s!no] [\c!state=\v!start] % norwegian

with --all this is not needed

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 12:59         ` Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren @ 2007-01-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3. jan. 2007, at 1:16, Hans Hagen wrote:

> that's why i asked ... what encoding are those files in (i assume
> ec but if not, we need to correct for that (grep ctxtools for 'no'))

oh.  the documents are utf-8, whereas the font encoding I use is
texnansi.

--
Rolf Lindgren
roffe@extern.uio.no

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 13:32           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> On 3. jan. 2007, at 1:16, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> that's why i asked ... what encoding are those files in (i assume
>> ec but if not, we need to correct for that (grep ctxtools for 'no'))
>>

> oh.  the documents are utf-8, whereas the font encoding I use is
> texnansi.

input encoding and font encoding are indepedent

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 14:22             ` Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren @ 2007-01-03 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3. jan. 2007, at 2:32, Hans Hagen wrote:

> � wrote:
>> On 3. jan. 2007, at 1:16, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>

>>> that's why i asked ... what encoding are those files in (i assume
>>> ec but if not, we need to correct for that (grep ctxtools for 'no'))
>>>

>> oh.  the documents are utf-8, whereas the font encoding I use is
>> texnansi.
>>

> input encoding and font encoding are indepedent

I would know, being the one who talked Tom Rokicki into adding
support for font encoding vectors to dvips.

--
Rolf Lindgren
roffe@extern.uio.no

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 15:15               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> On 3. jan. 2007, at 2:32, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> � wrote:

>>> oh.  the documents are utf-8, whereas the font encoding I use is
>>> texnansi.
>>>

>> input encoding and font encoding are indepedent
>>

> I would know, being the one who talked Tom Rokicki into adding
> support for font encoding vectors to dvips.

the hyphenation files that context uses are either in a neutral (verbose
format) or in utf format (standard now) so the question is ... what
encoding are the original nohyph* files in

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 18:03                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-01-03 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/3/07, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> the hyphenation files that context uses are either in a neutral (verbose
> format) or in utf format (standard now) so the question is ... what
> encoding are the original nohyph* files in

I don't know anything about the language itself, but it seems to me
that the encoding doesn't matter. All the special letters used in that
file are the same in both ec and texnansi (from the first sight).

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt, hyphenation
@ 2007-01-03 18:59                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> the hyphenation files that context uses are either in a neutral (verbose
>> format) or in utf format (standard now) so the question is ... what
>> encoding are the original nohyph* files in
>>

> I don't know anything about the language itself, but it seems to me
> that the encoding doesn't matter. All the special letters used in that
> file are the same in both ec and texnansi (from the first sight).

in that case

ctxtools --pat --utf no

should generate the right ones

Hans