* semi-smart quotes in verbatim text?
@ 2007-01-03 17:38 cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-03 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is puzzling me. If i type this in a text editor:

\starttext
These are 'quotes'.
\starttyping
let a = 'quoted string'
\stoptyping
\stoptext

I'm using dumb quotes (hex 27). ConText renders this as this:

These are ’quotes’.
let a = ’quoted string’

ie the quotes have been educated - although only half-educated, since
the opening one should be an opening one, if you see what I mean. But
I really don't want characters in the verbatim (typing) section to
change...because when you copy them from the PDF into an editor, the
code listings don't work!

There must be some kind of switch somewhere that stops ConteXt
changing them?

thanks for any help

* Re: semi-smart quotes in verbatim text?
@ 2007-01-03 22:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

cormullion@mac.com wrote:
> This is puzzling me. If i type this in a text editor:
>
> \starttext
> These are 'quotes'.
> \starttyping
> let a = 'quoted string'
> \stoptyping
> \stoptext
>
> I'm using dumb quotes (hex 27). ConText renders this as this:
>
> These are �quotes�.
> let a = �quoted string�
>
> ie the quotes have been educated - although only half-educated, since
> the opening one should be an opening one, if you see what I mean. But
> I really don't want characters in the verbatim (typing) section to
> change...because when you copy them from the PDF into an editor, the
> code listings don't work!
>
> There must be some kind of switch somewhere that stops ConteXt
> changing them?

context does nothing with the quotes, its the font

Hans

* Re: semi-smart quotes in verbatim text?
@ 2007-01-04 10:21   ` cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-04 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-03, at 22:08.0, Hans Hagen wrote:

> cormullion@mac.com wrote:
>> This is puzzling me. If i type this in a text editor:
>>
>> \starttext
>> These are 'quotes'.
>> \starttyping
>> let a = 'quoted string'
>> \stoptyping
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I'm using dumb quotes (hex 27). ConText renders this as this:
>>
>> These are �quotes�.
>> let a = �quoted string�
>>
>> ie the quotes have been educated - although only half-educated, since
>> the opening one should be an opening one, if you see what I mean. But
>> I really don't want characters in the verbatim (typing) section to
>> change...because when you copy them from the PDF into an editor, the
>> code listings don't work!
>>
>> There must be some kind of switch somewhere that stops ConteXt
>> changing them?
>>

> context does nothing with the quotes, its the font

Thanks, Hans.

I'm a bit confused though: in the verbatim sections I want the
vertical typewriter quote <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe_%
28mark%29#Computers_and_Unicode> rather than any '6' or '9' style
quotation mark apostrophe. I can see the difference in most of the
fonts I have here. In Courier, for example, the difference is about
25 degrees of slope, and the inclined quotation mark is lower down too.

So perhaps I should rephrase my question: how can I keep the vertical
' that I type into typing sections without it getting converted to a
curvy quote ’...?

many thanks for any help

[-- Attachment #2: Picture 1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 3420 bytes --]

* Re: semi-smart quotes in verbatim text?
@ 2007-01-04 15:53     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

cormullion@mac.com wrote:
> On 2007-01-03, at 22:08.0, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> cormullion@mac.com wrote:
>>> This is puzzling me. If i type this in a text editor:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> These are 'quotes'.
>>> \starttyping
>>> let a = 'quoted string'
>>> \stoptyping
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> I'm using dumb quotes (hex 27). ConText renders this as this:
>>>
>>> These are �quotes�.
>>> let a = �quoted string�
>>>
>>> ie the quotes have been educated - although only half-educated, since
>>> the opening one should be an opening one, if you see what I mean. But
>>> I really don't want characters in the verbatim (typing) section to
>>> change...because when you copy them from the PDF into an editor, the
>>> code listings don't work!
>>>
>>> There must be some kind of switch somewhere that stops ConteXt
>>> changing them?
>>>

>> context does nothing with the quotes, its the font
>
> Thanks, Hans.
>
> I'm a bit confused though: in the verbatim sections I want the
> vertical typewriter quote
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe_%28mark%29#Computers_and_Unicode>
> rather than any '6' or '9' style quotation mark apostrophe. I can see
> the difference in most of the fonts I have here. In Courier, for
> example, the difference is about 25 degrees of slope, and the inclined
> quotation mark is lower down too.
>
> So perhaps I should rephrase my question: how can I keep the vertical
> ' that I type into typing sections without it getting converted to a
> curvy quote ’...?
non-trivial (we must make the ' always active then) ; in luatex we can
preprocess verbatim lines, and/or remap characters so remind me in half
a year

(we can make a mkiv wish list)

Hans

* Re: semi-smart quotes in verbatim text?
@ 2007-01-04 19:02       ` cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-04, at 15:53.0, Hans Hagen wrote:

> non-trivial (we must make the ' always active then) ; in luatex we can
> preprocess verbatim lines, and/or remap characters so remind me in
> half
> a year

Thanks Hans - I'm happy for it to be considered a problem - that's
the first step towards getting a solution :-)...

* Re: semi-smart quotes in verbatim text?
@ 2007-07-18 13:29 cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-07-18 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > On 2007-01-04, at 07:53, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > So perhaps I should rephrase my question: how can I keep the
> vertical
> > ' that I type into typing sections without it getting converted to a
> > curvy quote ’...?
> non-trivial (we must make the ' always active then) ; in luatex we can
> preprocess verbatim lines, and/or remap characters so remind me in
> half
> a year
>
> (we can make a mkiv wish list)

half a year later :-) No worries, at present. But I'd really like to
solve this minor problem of incorrect quote-education at some stage
in the future. I don't know how imminent the move to luatex is...

cheers