* HZ with latest ConTeXt
@ 2007-01-05 20:04 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-01-05 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've just seen the page about hanging and hz on the wiki, so I've tried the
example for lm:

\starttext
\input tufte
\page
\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][hanging][normal]
\setupalign[hanging]
\usetypescript[modern-base][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[reset]
\setupbodyfont[modern]
\input tufte
\page
\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][hz][highquality]
\setupalign[hanging,hz]
%\usetypescript[modern-base][\defaultencoding]
%\setupbodyfont[reset]
%\setupbodyfont[modern]
\input tufte
\stoptext

I can get hanging but no hz (no difference between 2nd and 3rd page).

What is needed to get hz?

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: HZ with latest ConTeXt
@ 2007-01-06  0:53 ` Mike Bird
From: Mike Bird @ 2007-01-06  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 05 January 2007 12:04, Peter Münster wrote:
> I can get hanging but no hz (no difference between 2nd and 3rd page).
>
> What is needed to get hz?

This answer is not definitive but based only on my own experiences.

1) I was unable to get hz in some fonts.  If I haven't missed anything
relevant in extracting this from a large document, the following
fragment gives me hz (and hanging/handling) in NimbusRomNo9L:

\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][handling][normal]
\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][hz][highquality]
\setupalign[hanging,hz]
\usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript[serif][postscript,courier,helvetica,times]
[\defaultencoding,name]
\setupbodyfont[Serif,13pt]

2) As hz is sometimes not obvious when viewed, I check the fonts in the
resulting PDF to see if any are extended.  Most PDF viewers list the
fonts under File/Properties or similar or you can "pdffonts foo.pdf"
at the command line.

--Mike Bird

* Re: HZ with latest ConTeXt
@ 2007-01-06  2:21   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-06  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2) As hz is sometimes not obvious when viewed, I check the fonts in
> the resulting PDF to see if any are extended.  Most PDF viewers list
> the fonts under File/Properties or similar

They might not be used with pdftex 1.40, which (from what I gathered
reading the NEWS file) can adjust the local text transform matrix to
do font extension.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

* Re: HZ with latest ConTeXt
@ 2007-01-06 13:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-06 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>> 2) As hz is sometimes not obvious when viewed, I check the fonts in
>> the resulting PDF to see if any are extended.  Most PDF viewers list
>> the fonts under File/Properties or similar
>>

> They might not be used with pdftex 1.40, which (from what I gathered
> reading the NEWS file) can adjust the local text transform matrix to
> do font extension.

so, saying \pdfcompresslevel=0 and taking a look at the page streams may help

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE