* multiple bibliographies
@ 2007-01-15 12:59 Charles Doherty
From: Charles Doherty @ 2007-01-15 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Thomas, Aditya, Taco,

I am trying to produce a book-list for class using Taco's bib module.
I would like to produce a separate list for each lecture / topic:

Title of Lecture
paragraph giving a synopsis of topic
list of books/articles

and this repeated for x number of lectures. I discovered a thread in
the ConTeXt users mailing list for September last for something like
this. Has there been a solution? If it would do what I want I would
be grateful for a sample or instructions. I am using the latest bib
module.

Thanks,

Charlie Doherty

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2007-01-15 13:22 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-01-15 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 15, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Charles Doherty wrote:

> Dear Thomas, Aditya, Taco,
>
> I am trying to produce a book-list for class using Taco's bib module.
> I would like to produce a separate list for each lecture / topic:
>
> Title of Lecture
> paragraph giving a synopsis of topic
> list of books/articles
>
> and this repeated for x number of lectures. I discovered a thread in
> the ConTeXt users mailing list for September last for something like
> this. Has there been a solution? If it would do what I want I would
> be grateful for a sample or instructions. I am using the latest bib
> module.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie Doherty

Yes, this is possible. Just make every lecture its own section, refer
to the titles you want included in every list with \nocite commands
at the beginning of every section, have the list typeset with
\placepublications[criterium=cite]. If you want continuous numbering
for all your lists, add  [option=continue].

HTH

Thomas

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2007-01-15 13:51   ` Charles Doherty
From: Charles Doherty @ 2007-01-15 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Jan 2007, at 13:22, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Yes, this is possible. Just make every lecture its own section, refer
> to the titles you want included in every list with \nocite commands
> at the beginning of every section, have the list typeset with
> \placepublications[criterium=cite]. If you want continuous numbering
> for all your lists, add  [option=continue].
>
> HTH
>
> Thomas

Thank you Thomas,

It works perfectly. I had not used the \section command. Along with
BibDesk this is great.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Charlie

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2007-01-15 15:55   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> explains:
> Yes, this is possible. Just make every lecture its own section, refer
> to the titles you want included in every list with \nocite commands
> at the beginning of every section, have the list typeset with
> \placepublications[criterium=cite]. If you want continuous numbering
> for all your lists, add  [option=continue].

That's very helpful.  I was going to ask the same question in a month
or so when I might arrange the references in my math textbook that
way.  Here's an example file that I'll wikify if a similar example
isn't there already and no one finds problems with it.

Note in passing: \placepublications[criterium=section] and
\placepublications[criterium=cite] should (and do) give the same
results in the further-reading section.

Taco,
      For a rainy day, what about \setuppublications[option=continue]
that implicitly appends option=continue to all but the first
\placepublications commands?  (If it does so for the first one
then the numbering starts from 37 or thereabouts, as I found out by
trying it.)

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

========================= nocite.tex =============================
% Example of per-chapter bibliographies and a per-chapter 'Further
% reading' section.
%
% 2007-01-15:
%     Written by Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mit.edu> based on the
%     explanation by Thomas Schmitz ('multiple bibliographies',
%     ntg-context list, 15 Jan 2007).
%
% Public domain.
%

\usemodule[bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setuppublications[alternative=num]

\setupbibtex[database=xampl]

\starttext

\chapter{One}

Some useful references are \cite[article-minimal].  See
\cite[article-full] for the full bibliography info.

\section[sec:further]{Further reading}

\nocite[whole-journal,incollection-full]

If you are curious, here are a few further readings:
\bigskip
% criterium=section and =cite give the same results in this case situation
\placepublications[criterium=section]
%\placepublications[criterium=cite]

\section{Chapter references}

Here are all the references from this chapter, including the
`further reading'.
\bigskip
\placepublications[criterium=chapter,option=continue]

\chapter{Two}

\cite[inbook-crossref] is a classic.  People should also read
\cite[book-minimal] but it can be rough going.

\section{Chapter references}

Here are the references from this chapter.
\bigskip
\placepublications[criterium=chapter,option=continue]

\title{References for the whole document}

Here are the references from the entire document: in all
chapters and including the further reading.
\bigskip
\placepublications[criterium=all,option=continue]

\stoptext

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2007-01-15 23:00     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-15 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> Taco,
>       For a rainy day, what about \setuppublications[option=continue]
> that implicitly appends option=continue to all but the first
> \placepublications commands?  (If it does so for the first one
> then the numbering starts from 37 or thereabouts, as I found out by
> trying it.)

Sure, wouldn't be very hard. I hope I don't forget

Taco

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2006-09-07  8:02       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-09-07  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Taco,
>
> I played some more with the patched version you sent yesterday, and
> everything seems to be working as desired, thanks a lot! So, AFAICS,
> this is ready to roll and become part of the module.

Thanks for testing. I'll update contextgarden shortly.

Taco

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2006-09-07  7:43     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-09-07  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 6, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> This should work except that the numbers in the second
> \placepublications will probably restart at 1 with the
> current version.  That would be easy to fix, so if you
> send me a small test file I can easily add a no-reset
> switch.
>
>> I do not know anything about feasibility, but have a suggestion for
>> the input syntax. How about if there is
>>
>> \definecitemethod[one]
>> \definecitemethod[two]
>
> I have to think about that. It sounds useful, but I am not
> sure off-hand how to make it work.
>
> Cheers,
> Taco

Aditya, thanks for your suggestion. This would allow us not only to
have per-chapter bibliographies, but several bibliographies, if I
understand you right? Would be a very useful thing, I agree, but the
solution for my question turned out to be a lot easier.

Thanks, and best

Thomas

* Re: multiple bibliographies
@ 2006-09-06  6:17   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-09-06  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

@ 2006-09-06  2:53 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-09-06  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Dear all (and esp. Taco),
> Maybe a bit of background, and please tell me if you think this is a
> stupid idea: every term, I have to prepare lists of references for my
> several classes, and there usually is a lot of repetition and
> overlap. So I'm dreaming of having one big bibtex database and
> producing the lists via assorted \nocite commands. But i usually
> split up these bibliographies into several sections, and I want all
> items numbered in sequence, so I have in my source:
>
> \section{One}
>
> \nocite[myfirst] \nocite[mysecond]
>
> \placepublications
>
> \section{Two}
>
> \nocite[mythird] \nocite[myfourth]
>
> \placepublications

I do not know anything about feasibility, but have a suggestion for
the input syntax. How about if there is

\definecitemethod[one]
\definecitemethod[two]

after which you can do

\cite[method=one][myfirst] or
\nocite[method=one][mysecond]

and also

\cite[method={one,two}][ref]

and so on.

And to obtain a list of bibliographies, do

\placepublications[method=one]

I am not sure whether this is same as how criteria works right now.

Do you think that a syntax like this makes sense?

Aditya

* multiple bibliographies
@ 2006-09-05 17:44 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-09-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all (and esp. Taco),

in March 2005, there was a discussion about having multiple
bibliographies in one document, very much like with the LaTeX package
chapterbib. I may be missing something obvious, but I'm wondering
whether this is now possible with Taco's module.

Maybe a bit of background, and please tell me if you think this is a
stupid idea: every term, I have to prepare lists of references for my
several classes, and there usually is a lot of repetition and
overlap. So I'm dreaming of having one big bibtex database and
producing the lists via assorted \nocite commands. But i usually
split up these bibliographies into several sections, and I want all
items numbered in sequence, so I have in my source:

\section{One}

\nocite[myfirst] \nocite[mysecond]

\placepublications

\section{Two}

\nocite[mythird] \nocite[myfourth]

\placepublications

to get this output:

          A. One

[1] myfirst publication

[2] mysecond publication

          B. Two

[3] mythird publication

[4] myfourth publication

Is this reasonable? feasible? Or should I just use the old approach
and copy/paste the same references into \itemize lists? Help and
opinions appreciated!

Thomas