* error: the file 'texexec' is not found
@ 2007-01-18 22:57 Bob Reynolds
From: Bob Reynolds @ 2007-01-18 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just updated my TeX (and ConTeXt) tree, based on the
linuxtex.zip file at
http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm, at
/usr/local/share/tex from about the August version and
after a few minor tweaks I've got it working. No other
TeX stuff is installed on my Gentoo system. One big
problem: all of a sudden, I need to run "source
/usr/local/share/tex/setuptex" or else a command like
"texmfstart texexec --color 'story.tex'" exits with an
error message "the file 'texexec' is not found". This
breaks the Kile program that I use to write and
compile TeX files. Is there any way to get this or
something similar that's not in a bash environment to
just work?

Thank you very much,
Bob

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

* Re: error: the file 'texexec' is not found
@ 2007-01-19 10:08 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Reynolds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just updated my TeX (and ConTeXt) tree, based on the
> linuxtex.zip file at
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm, at
> /usr/local/share/tex from about the August version and
> after a few minor tweaks I've got it working. No other
> TeX stuff is installed on my Gentoo system. One big
> problem: all of a sudden, I need to run "source
> /usr/local/share/tex/setuptex" or else a command like
> "texmfstart texexec --color 'story.tex'" exits with an
> error message "the file 'texexec' is not found". This
> breaks the Kile program that I use to write and
> compile TeX files. Is there any way to get this or
> something similar that's not in a bash environment to
> just work?

It looks like this is a side-effect of a not-too-robust
installation, may apparent by switching from the perl
version of texexec to the ruby version.

The simple and best solution is to add the "source setuptex"
to one of your login scripts.

Taco