* pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem?
@ 2007-01-18 20:18 Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2007-01-18 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

Excuse me this off-topic, I don't know where should I ask.

I've installed pdfetex 1.40.1 to be able to use hz-algorithm with
truetype fonts. Both my AdobeReader 7.x, and xpdf under SuSE Linux 10.1
view the output pdf file all right. But my gv viewer based on
ghostscript (version 8.15 (2006-04-19)) dies if I try to view the output
file with it. When I convert the pdf file to postscript using
AdobeReader, it doesn't die but view the document incorrectly (strange
letters appears where they are not supposed to be).

Can anybody tell me what's wrong, and if there is a ghostscript version
capable to view the output of pdftex 1.40.1? Without it it is useless
for me. :-(

Many thanks for your kind help.
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem?
@ 2007-01-18 23:59 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-01-18 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/1/18, Michal Kvasnicka <quasar@econ.muni.cz>:
> Excuse me this off-topic, I don't know where should I ask.

The pdftex mailing list would be a better place. See
http://www.pdftex.org/README

[...]

> Can anybody tell me what's wrong, and if there is a ghostscript version
> capable to view the output of pdftex 1.40.1? Without it it is useless
> for me. :-(

I can view sample2e.pdf or the pdftex manual fine with gs 8.54.

Best
   Martin

* Re: pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem?
@ 2007-01-19  0:21   ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2007-01-19  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thanh,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2007/1/18, Michal Kvasnicka <quasar@econ.muni.cz>:
> > Excuse me this off-topic, I don't know where should I ask.
>
> The pdftex mailing list would be a better place. See
> http://www.pdftex.org/README
>
> [...]
>
> > Can anybody tell me what's wrong, and if there is a ghostscript
> > version capable to view the output of pdftex 1.40.1? Without it it
> > is useless for me. :-(
>
> I can view sample2e.pdf or the pdftex manual fine with gs 8.54.

e. g. when i run this test file through pdftex-1.40.1

%$Id: test4.tex,v 1.3 2006/01/06 20:24:10 hahe Exp hahe $
\pdfcompresslevel=0
\nopagenumbers
\pdfmapline{qtmr <8r.enc <qtmr.ttf}

\font\qtmr qtmr at 10pt
\pdffontexpand\qtmr 30 30 5 autoexpand
\pdfadjustspacing=2
\qtmr

\input tufte
\input tufte
\input tufte
\input tufte

\bye

then gs 8.54 tells "**** Warning: Encoding not present." But it looks
ok. Could there be anything missing inside the embedded TTF font?

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem?
@ 2007-01-19  9:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-19  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The Thanh Han, ntg-pdftex, Michal Kvasnicka

Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> Hi Thanh,
>
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Martin Schr�der wrote:
>

>> 2007/1/18, Michal Kvasnicka <quasar@econ.muni.cz>:
>>
>>> Excuse me this off-topic, I don't know where should I ask.
>>>
>> The pdftex mailing list would be a better place. See
>> http://www.pdftex.org/README
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> Can anybody tell me what's wrong, and if there is a ghostscript
>>> version capable to view the output of pdftex 1.40.1? Without it it
>>> is useless for me. :-(
>>>
>> I can view sample2e.pdf or the pdftex manual fine with gs 8.54.
>>

> e. g. when i run this test file through pdftex-1.40.1
>
> %$Id: test4.tex,v 1.3 2006/01/06 20:24:10 hahe Exp hahe $
> \pdfcompresslevel=0
> \nopagenumbers
> \pdfmapline{qtmr <8r.enc <qtmr.ttf}
>
> \font\qtmr qtmr at 10pt
> \pdffontexpand\qtmr 30 30 5 autoexpand
> \pdfadjustspacing=2
> \qtmr
>
> \input tufte
> \input tufte
> \input tufte
> \input tufte
>
> \bye
>
> then gs 8.54 tells "**** Warning: Encoding not present." But it looks
> ok. Could there be anything missing inside the embedded TTF font?

i recently also encountered problems with tounicode vectors in gs so
there may be something messed in gs with regards to encoding related
vectors; unfortunately it may abort, depending on the situation

Hans

* Re: pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem? More findings
@ 2007-01-20 19:40       ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2007-01-20 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

I found some more puzzling things. I write them here fore anybody who
may be interested. :-)

I tried to typeset a document using two font families: TrueType Gentium
by SIL, and Adobe OpenType Myriad. First I converted Myriad to Type1
using fontforge, then I prepared metrics for all fonts with TeXFont
using ec-lm encoding. I found this:

(1) Any ConTeXt document produced by pdfetex 1.40.1 (even this one:
    \setupoutput[pdf]
    \starttext
    \input tufte
    \stoptext
makes my GhostScript (gs Ghostscript 8.15.3 under SuSE Linux 10.1) die
with this error:
   **** Warning:  An error occurred while reading an XREF table.
   **** The file has been damaged.  This may have been caused
   **** by a problem while converting or transfering the file.
   **** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data.
   ERROR: /undefined in /BXlevel
etc. However, if I make a ps-file out of it using AdobeReader, I can
view/print it with my GhostScript.
The newest Ghostscript (Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17)) doesn't write
this error message but the rest of problems (see below) is the same.

(2) When I typeset my document only with the Gentium font, or only with
the Myriad font, or with a combination of the Gentium and LatinModern,
or the Gentium and TrueType version of Myriad (made fontforge), the
outcome is the same as (1).

(3) If I try to combine TrueType Gentium and Type1 Myriad, my
GhostScript failes to view/print it properly: strange letters appear in
the text.

I've got no idea what's wrong. By the way, my input regime is now utf8.

Do you thing this is problem of ConTeXt, or pdfetex, or GhostScript?
Whom should I tell it?

Yours
Michal Kvasnicka

P.S. I apologize to all of you who are bothered by this topic.

* Re: pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem? More findings
@ 2007-01-20 20:37         ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2007-01-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/20/07, Michal Kvasnicka <quasar@econ.muni.cz> wrote:
> Good evening.
>
> I found some more puzzling things. I write them here fore anybody who
> may be interested. :-)
>
> I tried to typeset a document using two font families: TrueType Gentium
> by SIL, and Adobe OpenType Myriad. First I converted Myriad to Type1
> using fontforge, then I prepared metrics for all fonts with TeXFont
> using ec-lm encoding. I found this:
>
> (1) Any ConTeXt document produced by pdfetex 1.40.1 (even this one:
>     \setupoutput[pdf]
>     \starttext
>     \input tufte
>     \stoptext
> makes my GhostScript (gs Ghostscript 8.15.3 under SuSE Linux 10.1) die
> with this error:
>    **** Warning:  An error occurred while reading an XREF table.
>    **** The file has been damaged.  This may have been caused
>    **** by a problem while converting or transfering the file.
>    **** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data.
>    ERROR: /undefined in /BXlevel
> etc.

There was a gs bug (#688787 /undefined in /BXlevel) for this error,
but in that case the pdf file really was corrupt although the user
said it worked with Adobe Reader.

I tried your first test on Fedora Core 5 with TL2007 (test inst iso
from 20070115) which also has a gs-8.15 version, and don't get an
error.

[gwhite@cerberus TL2007]$ cat cont-try.tex
\setupoutput[pdf]
\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext
[gwhite@cerberus TL2007]$ texmfstart texexec cont-try
[...]
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/mnt/hdb/opt/tex/texlive/2005/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./cont-try.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2006.08.08 21:51  fmt: 2007.1.14  int: english  mes: english
[...]

[gwhite@cerberus TL2007]$ pdffonts cont-try.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
ORKXYQ+LMRoman12-Regular             Type 1       yes yes yes      5  0

[gwhite@cerberus TL2007]$ pdfinfo cont-try.pdf
Title:          cont-try
Creator:        ConTeXt - 2006.08.08 21:51
Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.1
CreationDate:   Sat Jan 20 15:29:21 2007
ModDate:        20070120
Tagged:         no
Pages:          1
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)
File size:      26205 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.5

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: pdfetex 1.40.1 + ghosscript problem? More findings
@ 2007-01-21 23:00         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-21 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
> Good evening.
>
> I found some more puzzling things. I write them here fore anybody who
> may be interested. :-)
>
> I tried to typeset a document using two font families: TrueType Gentium
> by SIL, and Adobe OpenType Myriad. First I converted Myriad to Type1
> using fontforge, then I prepared metrics for all fonts with TeXFont
> using ec-lm encoding. I found this:
>
> (1) Any ConTeXt document produced by pdfetex 1.40.1 (even this one:
>     \setupoutput[pdf]
>     \starttext
>     \input tufte
>     \stoptext
> makes my GhostScript (gs Ghostscript 8.15.3 under SuSE Linux 10.1) die
> with this error:
>    **** Warning:  An error occurred while reading an XREF table.
>    **** The file has been damaged.  This may have been caused
>    **** by a problem while converting or transfering the file.
>    **** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data.
>    ERROR: /undefined in /BXlevel
> etc. However, if I make a ps-file out of it using AdobeReader, I can
> view/print it with my GhostScript.
> The newest Ghostscript (Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17)) doesn't write
> this error message but the rest of problems (see below) is the same.
>
> (2) When I typeset my document only with the Gentium font, or only with
> the Myriad font, or with a combination of the Gentium and LatinModern,
> or the Gentium and TrueType version of Myriad (made fontforge), the
> outcome is the same as (1).
>
> (3) If I try to combine TrueType Gentium and Type1 Myriad, my
> GhostScript failes to view/print it properly: strange letters appear in
> the text.
>
> I've got no idea what's wrong. By the way, my input regime is now utf8.
>
> Do you thing this is problem of ConTeXt, or pdfetex, or GhostScript?
> Whom should I tell it?

probably a gs problem ... 8.15 is pretty old; versions 8.30+ *we now have 8/54) are better with pdf

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE