* Latest ConTeXt releases (please read)
@ 2007-01-30  8:28 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-30  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ConTeXt releases starting from 2007.01.12 have a few major
changes that seem to catch some people unawares.

1. As of 2007.01.12, ConTeXt uses a 'pdftex' executable, no longer
'pdfetex'. This matches up with the release of pdftex 1.40, where
there no longer is a separate 'pdfetex' executable. There are two
ways out of this:

- Apparently an old install of pdftex can still run, but only if
   you copy the 'pdfetex' executable to the name 'pdftex'.

- But a better option is to update to pdftex 1.40, if that is
   possible for you. If your distribution does not offer a 1.40
   package yet, you can try to compile and install pdftex yourself.
   The sources are available here:

   http://sarovar.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=106

2. As of 2007.01.18, ConTeXt uses Latin Modern math fonts instead
of computer modern. Unfortunately, most distributions still have
a rather old version of the Latin Modern package, that does not
have these fonts, so you may get 'Cannot find font ...' errors
from TeX. The possible font names are 'rm-lmr', 'lmmi', 'lmsy'
and 'lmex' (with a pointsize attached), so if you see such errors,
you need to update our installation.

If your distribution does not offer a latin modern 1.01 package
yet, you can fetch the fonts from either CTAN or the Gust website.

   CTAN: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/
   GUST: http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern

3. If you use XeTeX or aleph, there is yet another problem: the
latin modern package does not itself contain dvipdfmx map files.
This means (x)dvipdfmx will likely find the ones intended for
pdftex instead, and it will generate a lot of warnings and errors.

ConTeXt comes with a tool to generate dvipdfmx-type map files
automatically, but you have to run it manually. It is a commandline
tool, and you have to run it like so:

   ctxtools --dpx --force <texmfroot>

You need to replace <texmfroot> with the toplevel texmf directory
where the latin-modern font map files are. While on the commandline,
you can type in

   kpsewhich lm-math.map

If it returns /opt/tex/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map, then
the <texmfroot> is /opt/tex/texmf-local, and the full commandline is

   ctxtools --dpx --force /opt/tex/texmf-local

I hope this explains most of the problems people have been having.
If you or your distribution can not handle the required upgrades
above, you should not update context at all, it will only give you
grief (and broken output). In case this warning comes to late,
all previous versions of ConTeXt are still available for download
from the museum:

   https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=14

you probably want either 2007.01.12 or 2007.01.09.

Happy TeXing,

Taco

* Re: Latest ConTeXt releases (please read)
@ 2007-01-30 14:58 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-30 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

A small addition, discovered while Mojca and I were helping out
Dalyoung with the dvipdfmx warnings (offlist). See below.

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ConTeXt releases starting from 2007.01.12 have a few major
> changes that seem to catch some people unawares.
>
> 1. As of 2007.01.12, ConTeXt uses a 'pdftex' executable, no longer
> 'pdfetex'. This matches up with the release of pdftex 1.40, where
> there no longer is a separate 'pdfetex' executable. There are two
> ways out of this:
>
> - Apparently an old install of pdftex can still run, but only if
>    you copy the 'pdfetex' executable to the name 'pdftex'.
>
> - But a better option is to update to pdftex 1.40, if that is
>    possible for you. If your distribution does not offer a 1.40
>    package yet, you can try to compile and install pdftex yourself.
>    The sources are available here:
>
>    http://sarovar.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=106
>
> 2. As of 2007.01.18, ConTeXt uses Latin Modern math fonts instead
> of computer modern. Unfortunately, most distributions still have
> a rather old version of the Latin Modern package, that does not
> have these fonts, so you may get 'Cannot find font ...' errors
> from TeX. The possible font names are 'rm-lmr', 'lmmi', 'lmsy'
> and 'lmex' (with a pointsize attached), so if you see such errors,
> you need to update our installation.
>
> If your distribution does not offer a latin modern 1.01 package
> yet, you can fetch the fonts from either CTAN or the Gust website.
>
>    CTAN: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/
>    GUST: http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern
>
> 3. If you use XeTeX or aleph, there is yet another problem: the
> latin modern package does not itself contain dvipdfmx map files.
> This means (x)dvipdfmx will likely find the ones intended for
> pdftex instead, and it will generate a lot of warnings and errors.
>
> ConTeXt comes with a tool to generate dvipdfmx-type map files
> automatically, but you have to run it manually. It is a commandline
> tool, and you have to run it like so:
>
>    ctxtools --dpx --force <texmfroot>
>
> You need to replace <texmfroot> with the toplevel texmf directory
> where the latin-modern font map files are. While on the commandline,
> you can type in
>
>    kpsewhich lm-math.map
>
> If it returns /opt/tex/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map, then
> the <texmfroot> is /opt/tex/texmf-local, and the full commandline is
>
>    ctxtools --dpx --force /opt/tex/texmf-local

But before you can run ctxtools, you have to copy all of the
map files in the fonts/map/dvips/lm directory to the
fonts/map/pdftex/context directory (if it is not present,
create it first).