* new font bugs
@ 2007-01-29 22:59 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-01-29 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

Does anyone understand the following font error? The file used to work for
over a year till I installed the latest ConTeXt files:

=======================================
! pdfTeX error (font expansion): auto expansion is only possible with
scalable
fonts.
\actualshipout ... \box \postponedcontent \box 0}}
                                                   \else \message
{[\ifarrang...

\myshipout ... \fi {\thisisrealpage \realfolio #1}
                                                   \gotonextrealpage
\aftersh...

\dofinaloutput ...agebody #1#2\setpagecounters }}}
                                                   \fi \the
\everyaftershipou...

\finaloutput ...EAEAEA \dofinaloutput \fi \fi #1#2
                                                   \resetselectiepagina
\incr...

\sidefloatoutput ...e \else \finalsidefloatoutput
                                                   \global \sidefloatvsize
\n...
<argument> ...\fi \else \the \defaultstreamoutput
                                                   \fi
l.70
=======================================

The problem with making a sample file is that it involves a non-standard
font (minion expert) with a lot of setup and so may be difficult to
emulate. Indeed, my entire MinionProOpticals setup does not work at all
anymore.

A clue: Another file gives in the log:

pdfTeX warning: pdftex.exe (file texnansi-axoc-MinionPro-SemiboldItSubh):
Font
texnansi-axoc-MinionPro-SemiboldItSubh at 720 not found

But the tfm texnansi-axoc-MinionPro-SemiboldItSubh is found in

\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\tfm\adobe\minion

and the vf in

\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\vf\adobe\minion

Please help!

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: new font bugs
@ 2007-01-30  7:52 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-30  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> Does anyone understand the following font error? The file used to work for
> over a year till I installed the latest ConTeXt files:

It seems there is a problem with the map file for your MinionPro font:
pdftex clearly believes it is a metafont bitmap instead of a scalable
font, and that only happens if it does not have the proper font map
information.

Best, Taco

* Re: new font bugs
@ 2007-01-30 14:41   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-01-30 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:52:05 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Dear gang,
>>
>> Does anyone understand the following font error? The file used to work
>> for
>> over a year till I installed the latest ConTeXt files:
>
> It seems there is a problem with the map file for your MinionPro font:
> pdftex clearly believes it is a metafont bitmap instead of a scalable
> font, and that only happens if it does not have the proper font map
> information.

I see, any ideas on what I should do?

I was actually thinking about just starting over again from scratch,
reinstalling ConTeXt, and reinstalling all my auxilliary fonts etc. from
scratch but that's a lot of work...

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-01-30 15:02     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-30 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:52:05 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>> Dear gang,
>>>
>>> Does anyone understand the following font error? The file used to work
>>> for
>>> over a year till I installed the latest ConTeXt files:
>> It seems there is a problem with the map file for your MinionPro font:
>> pdftex clearly believes it is a metafont bitmap instead of a scalable
>> font, and that only happens if it does not have the proper font map
>> information.
>
> I see, any ideas on what I should do?

First, find it. Then make sure you have a \loadmapfile statement
with the right filename. Then verify that kpsewhich can find the
map file by running 'kpsewhich <filename>'. After all that,
check that ConTeXt actually reads a map file, by that name, and
that it is the right one (by checking the screen output).

Somewhere along this chain of events, it should start working, or
an error should become obvious.

Best, Taco

* Re: new font bugs
@ 2007-01-30 15:03     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:52:05 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>
>>> Dear gang,
>>>
>>> Does anyone understand the following font error? The file used to work
>>> for
>>> over a year till I installed the latest ConTeXt files:
>>>
>> It seems there is a problem with the map file for your MinionPro font:
>> pdftex clearly believes it is a metafont bitmap instead of a scalable
>> font, and that only happens if it does not have the proper font map
>> information.
>>

> I see, any ideas on what I should do?
>
> I was actually thinking about just starting over again from scratch,
> reinstalling ConTeXt, and reinstalling all my auxilliary fonts etc. from
> scratch but that's a lot of work...

well, since you have luatex running ... in a while you can kick out tfm and map files since context mkiv can use the afm files and do map lines on the fly

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new font bugs
@ 2007-01-31  3:29       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-01-31  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:02:59 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

>>> It seems there is a problem with the map file for your MinionPro font:
>>> pdftex clearly believes it is a metafont bitmap instead of a scalable
>>> font, and that only happens if it does not have the proper font map
>>> information.
>>
>> I see, any ideas on what I should do?
>
> First, find it. Then make sure you have a \loadmapfile statement
> with the right filename. Then verify that kpsewhich can find the
> map file by running 'kpsewhich <filename>'. After all that,
> check that ConTeXt actually reads a map file, by that name, and
> that it is the right one (by checking the screen output).
>
> Somewhere along this chain of events, it should start working, or
> an error should become obvious.

There must be an error or some new feature in recent releases of ConTeXt
that's causing this. I backed up to ConTeXt2006-12-07, only a month ago,
and everything works fine. I checked; typescripts are loading mapfiles eg

\loadmapfile[texnansi-axow-adobe-minion.map]

and the mapfiles are indeed there eg

\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\map\pdftex\context

As for tfm's, eg

texnansi-axow-MinionPro-Regular.tfm

is in

\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-fonts\fonts\tfm\adobe\minion

Has the ConTeXt TDS changed? This must be a new ConTeXt bug/feature; I
don't know which.

Oh Please, please, please don't make me rebuild this complicated font
setup from scratch!

:-)

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-01-31  3:31       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-01-31  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:03:44 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> I was actually thinking about just starting over again from scratch,
>> reinstalling ConTeXt, and reinstalling all my auxilliary fonts etc. from
>> scratch but that's a lot of work...
>>
> well, since you have luatex running ... in a while you can kick out tfm
> and map files since context mkiv can use the afm files and do map lines
> on the fly

I eagerly look forward to the day when the tfm/256-enc anachronisms are
gone for good ;-)

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-01-31  7:50         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-31  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Has the ConTeXt TDS changed? This must be a new ConTeXt bug/feature; I
> don't know which.
>
> Oh Please, please, please don't make me rebuild this complicated font
> setup from scratch!

I do think Context itself has not changed other than what I
already posted.

Can you wrap me up a zip file (offlist) with source + log + pdf?

Taco