* \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-12 17:27 Bernd Militzer
From: Bernd Militzer @ 2007-02-12 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

\starttext
5,00\,\texteuro
\stoptext

does not work any more. What have I to do?

Bernd

here the message from contextgarden

systems : begin file texweb at line 2
! Font \thedefinedfont=fmvr8x at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not fou
nd.
<recently read> \scaledfont

\symbolicsizedfont ...ntfontbodyscale \scaledfont
\thedefinedfont
\getglyph #1#2->{\symbolicfont {#1}
\doifnumberelse {#2}\char \donothing #2}
\dodosymbol ...bol \csname \??ss :#1:#2\endcsname
\relax }\relax
\donormalsymbol ... {#1}{#2}{\dodosymbol {#1}{#2}}
\else \edef \currentsymbol...
l.5 5,00\,\texteuro

?
! Emergency stop.
<recently read> \scaledfont

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-12 17:50 ` Aditya Mahajan
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-02-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Bernd Militzer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> \starttext
> 5,00\,\texteuro
> \stoptext
>
> does not work any more. What have I to do?

Short answer: use texnansi encoding.

\setupencoding[default=texnansi]
\usetypescript[modern][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[modern,rm,11pt]

or

\usetypescript[modern][encoding=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[modern,rm,11pt]

Long answer: see
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070212.091610.1b296b19.en.html

A question to Hans: I do not know much about fonts, but from what I
understand ec is ugly and one should use texnansi. So why does ConTeXt
default to ec. I am sure that for most users like, fonts in TeX is a
mystry, and they do not really care which font encoding is used, as
long as it works. So, can we move to texnansi as the default? Or is
there something at which ec is really better?

Aditya

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-12 18:48 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-02-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:27:43 +0100
Bernd Militzer <bernd@militzer.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> \starttext
> 5,00\,\texteuro
> \stoptext
>
> does not work any more. What have I to do?
>

> Bernd
>

> here the message from contextgarden
>
> systems : begin file texweb at line 2
> ! Font \thedefinedfont=fmvr8x at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
> not fou
> nd.
> <recently read> \scaledfont
>
> \symbolicsizedfont ...ntfontbodyscale \scaledfont
> \thedefinedfont
> \getglyph #1#2->{\symbolicfont {#1}
> \doifnumberelse {#2}\char \donothing #2}
> \dodosymbol ...bol \csname \??ss :#1:#2\endcsname
> \relax }\relax
> \donormalsymbol ... {#1}{#2}{\dodosymbol {#1}{#2}}
> \else \edef \currentsymbol...
> l.5 5,00\,\texteuro
>
> ?
> ! Emergency stop.
> <recently read> \scaledfont

Hi Bernd,

I tried this on my system and it work with \texteuro and \euro. Dont't
I my sytem or contextgarden is wrong, because ConTeXt use on my machine
the euro sign from the marvosym fonts and not from fmvr8x.

What is the result from your own system, did id work or fail. Do you
have a message like
<c:\context\usr\local\context\tex
\texmf/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/marvosym.
pfb>{c:\context\usr\local\context\tex\texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-ec.enc}<c:\co
ntext\usr\local\context\tex\texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr12.pfb>
at the end of your log file or get you the same output as the one above
frome the garden.

Wolfgang

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-12 19:50   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-02-12 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> A question to Hans: I do not know much about fonts, but from what I
> understand ec is ugly and one should use texnansi. So why does ConTeXt
> default to ec. I am sure that for most users like, fonts in TeX is a
> mystry, and they do not really care which font encoding is used, as
> long as it works. So, can we move to texnansi as the default? Or is
> there something at which ec is really better?
>
> Aditya

Well, it pretty much depends what you want. EC has lots of accented
letters for many languages, and since it is much more popular in the
LaTeX world than texnansi, you'll find many more tfm files in your
TeX installation with ec encoding than with texnansi. In fact, having
texnansi as default was one of the headaches in my early ConTeXt days
because ConTeXt would ask for texnansi-lm... files which simply
weren't there. Many convenient things (like Euro, a couple of
fractions, degree etc.) are not in ec, but in the LaTeX world, most
ec-fonts are accompanied by a ts1-encoded counterpart, and switching
to this for these symbols is automatic; we don't have this in
ConTeXt, AFAICS. But now, Latin Modern is pretty complete, as are the
tex gyre fonts, so yes, IMHO, switching to texnansi as default could
make sense.

\startmode[hansmode]
Ah, wait for luatex where fonts can use the afm and create encodings
on the fly, so we don't need to worry about this anymore!
\stopmode

;-)

Thomas

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-12 20:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> \startmode[hansmode]
> Ah, wait for luatex where fonts can use the afm and create encodings
> on the fly, so we don't need to worry about this anymore!
> \stopmode

sure, and make virtual fonts on the fly as well -)

Hans (now in open type mode)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13  7:19   ` Bernd Militzer
From: Bernd Militzer @ 2007-02-13  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan schrieb:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Bernd Militzer wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> \starttext
>> 5,00\,\texteuro
>> \stoptext
>>
>> does not work any more. What have I to do?
>>

> Short answer: use texnansi encoding.
>
> \setupencoding[default=texnansi]
> \usetypescript[modern][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[modern,rm,11pt]
>
> or
>
> \usetypescript[modern][encoding=texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[modern,rm,11pt]

thanks for that hint
Bernd

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13  7:27   ` Bernd Militzer
From: Bernd Militzer @ 2007-02-13  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> I tried this on my system and it work with \texteuro and \euro. Dont't
> I my sytem or contextgarden is wrong, because ConTeXt use on my machine
> the euro sign from the marvosym fonts and not from fmvr8x.
>
> What is the result from your own system, did id work or fail. Do you
> have a message like
> <c:\context\usr\local\context\tex
> \texmf/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/marvosym.
> pfb>{c:\context\usr\local\context\tex\texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-ec.enc}<c:\co
> ntext\usr\local\context\tex\texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr12.pfb>
> at the end of your log file or get you the same output as the one above
> frome the garden.

I get:
Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: fmvr8x.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input fmvr8x' failed to make fmvr8x.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
! Font \thedefinedfont=fmvr8x at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not found.
but with:
\setupencoding[default=texnansi]
\usetypescript[modern][\defaultencoding] \setupbodyfont[modern,rm,12pt]
all problems are gone

Bernd

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13  7:59     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-13  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernd Militzer wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
>
>>Hi Bernd,
>>
>>I tried this on my system and it work with \texteuro and \euro. Dont't
>>I my sytem or contextgarden is wrong, because ConTeXt use on my machine
>>the euro sign from the marvosym fonts and not from fmvr8x.

Marvosym's tfm file is called fmvr8x.tfm. Or rather, it used to be
called that. In the new version, it is renamed to umvs.tfm.

Best, Taco

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13  8:02       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>

>>\startmode[hansmode]
>>Ah, wait for luatex where fonts can use the afm and create encodings
>>on the fly, so we don't need to worry about this anymore!
>>\stopmode
>>

> sure, and make virtual fonts on the fly as well -)

In fact, in luatex almost all fonts will be in 'unicode' encoding,
like they are in xetex already.

Taco

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13 12:44   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-02-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/12/07, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> A question to Hans: I do not know much about fonts, but from what I
> understand ec is ugly and one should use texnansi.

What exactly do you mean with "ugly"?

> So why does ConTeXt
> default to ec. I am sure that for most users like, fonts in TeX is a
> mystry,

Probably true.

> and they do not really care which font encoding is used, as
> long as it works.

Maybe not for English and German users. But most other (European)
languages need EC to cover all their letters (i.e. to make hyphenation
work at all).

Although not all languages are listed there, take a look into lang-ctx.tex.

> So, can we move to texnansi as the default?

Context used texnansi as the default encoding in past and I would say
the opposite: those who care and really need to use texnansi, probably
know that better than an average user who would need ec to support his
language properly, but doesn't know that. (Although I've been using
"TeX" quite some time now, I never noticed the difference until two
years ago when I was using some strange combinations of letters in
Antykwa Torunska which has different accents on capital letters - and
I started wandering why Č and Š looked so different.)

The problem with euro came with the new TeXLive. But it's not ec's
fault only that it doesn't work.

But as others already said - uc will soon be the default anyway ...

Mojca

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13 14:47     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-02-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Maybe not for English and German users. But most other (European)
> languages need EC to cover all their letters (i.e. to make hyphenation
> work at all).
>
> Although not all languages are listed there, take a look into lang-
> ctx.tex.

I haven't really looked into this, but I think you're slightly
exaggerating: Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch should be
OK with texnansi, too.

Cheers

Thomas

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13 15:53       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>> Maybe not for English and German users. But most other (European)
>> languages need EC to cover all their letters (i.e. to make hyphenation
>> work at all).
>>
>> Although not all languages are listed there, take a look into lang-
>> ctx.tex.
>>

> I haven't really looked into this, but I think you're slightly
> exaggerating: Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch should be
> OK with texnansi, too.

most patterns in their original form assume ec; however, context uses utf encoded patterns, and can load them then for as many encodings as you like; some languages have ec and texnansi patterns (has to do with the fact that patterns and fonts are related)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13 16:02     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-02-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 2/12/07, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> A question to Hans: I do not know much about fonts, but from what I
>> understand ec is ugly and one should use texnansi.
>
> What exactly do you mean with "ugly"?

Did I say that I do not know about fonts :) I was just reflecting on
what I have seen on the mailing list. Most problems in fonts with
missing characters etc is due to ec encoding (I remember something in
the past about \textmu not being present in ec). By ugly I meant that
ConTeXt has to work harder behind the scenes to make sure that ec
works.

In any case, with luatex, TeX's font scene will be totally different
(I know, I know, I should atleast try XeTeX)

Aditya

* Re: \texteuro does not work
@ 2007-02-13 19:52       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>> On 2/12/07, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>

>>> A question to Hans: I do not know much about fonts, but from what I
>>> understand ec is ugly and one should use texnansi.
>>>
>> What exactly do you mean with "ugly"?
>>

> Did I say that I do not know about fonts :) I was just reflecting on
> what I have seen on the mailing list. Most problems in fonts with
> missing characters etc is due to ec encoding (I remember something in
> the past about \textmu not being present in ec). By ugly I meant that
> ConTeXt has to work harder behind the scenes to make sure that ec
> works.

oh, i thought that you meant the euro, which indeed is a pretty ugly
symbol not meant to blend with a properly designed font
> In any case, with luatex, TeX's font scene will be totally different
> (I know, I know, I should atleast try XeTeX)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \texteuro does not work
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-03-12 17:34   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-03-12 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> > \starttext
> > 5,00\,\texteuro
> > \stoptext
> >
> > does not work any more. What have I to do?
>
> Short answer: use texnansi encoding.
>
> \usetypescript[modern][encoding=texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[modern,rm,11pt]

Hello,

here is another possibility:

\usesymbols[eur]
\definecharacter texteuro {{\ss\symbol[euro]}}
\starttext
\startlines
5,00\,\texteuro
\bf 5,00\,\texteuro
\it 5,00\,\texteuro
\stoplines
\stoptext

Of course, you must install
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/eurofont.exe for this to work.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/