* installationproblem with context-distribution: xetex not working
@ 2007-02-19 10:59 Henning Haeske
From: Henning Haeske @ 2007-02-19 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I started this night the installation-instruction from:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Linux_User_Installation

and then i continued with: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/XeTeX

texexec --pdf first.tex is working fine, but the xetex is not working:

fonts           : using map file: t5-public-lm
[1.1]
systems         : end file first at line 10
 )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
stdin -> first.pdf
[1
** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fotmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: ec-lmb10 LMRoman10-Demi "enclmec
ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc <lmb10.pfb
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="lm-ec.map", line=7.
** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fotmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: lmbsy5
LMMathSymbols5-BoldItalic    "enclmmathsy ReEncodeFont"  <lm-mathsy.enc
<lmbsy5.pfb
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="lm-math.map", line=7.
** WARNING ** Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM "ec-lmr12".
** WARNING ** >> There are no valid font mapping entry for this font.
** WARNING ** >> Font file name "ec-lmr12" was assumed but failed to locate
that font.
** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for PDF output...

Output file removed.

I also tried fixing this with this note:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070130.082837.4bc51f61.en.html

But I am still getting the same error messages....

My context-directories are having following structure:

../tex/texmf/...
../tex/texmf-local/..
../tex/texmf-fonts/..
../tex/texmf-extra/..
../tex/texmf-linux/..

Is this structure ok? Looks a little bit different than it was with latex.
I would be glad for any help to finilize my first step from latex to context.

thanks in advance, H.

* Re: installationproblem with context-distribution: xetex not working
@ 2007-02-19 11:05 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-19 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Haeske wrote:

> I also tried fixing this with this note:
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070130.082837.4bc51f61.en.html

Make sure you also read:

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070130.145856.ffeabcfc.en.html

Best wishes,

Taco

* texfont aborts with charisSIL
@ 2007-02-24 20:59 ` Henning Haeske
From: Henning Haeske @ 2007-02-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

after my first installation was successful I am trying to install the latest
IPA-font from SIL (Charis -
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=IPAhome#Charis ).

I followed the instruction from the wiki:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step

I downloaded the charis-font I decompressed the package and got following
files:
~/Schriftsysteme/IPA $ ls
CharisSIL4.100FontDocumentation.pdf  CharisSILB.ttf  FONTLOG.txt  README.txt
CharisSIL4.100.zip                   CharisSILI.ttf  OFL-FAQ.txt
CharisSILBI.ttf                      CharisSILR.ttf  OFL.txt

Then I entered the sucgested texfont-command:

~/Schriftsysteme/IPA $ texfont --ve=sil --co=charis --makepath --install *.ttf
/tmp/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:2073: warning: Insecure world writable
dir /tmp/tex/texmf-linux/bin, mode 040777

TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004

mktexlsr: Updating /tmp/tex/texmf-fonts/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
       encoding vector : texnansi
           vendor name : sil
           source path : .
       font collection : charis
       texmf font root : /tmp/tex/texmf-fonts
         map file name : texnansi-sil-charis.map
           source path : .
      processing files : all in pattern CharisSILBI.ttf
    locating afm files : using pattern ./CharisSILBI.ttf.afm
    locating afm files : using otf files
         copying files : afm
         copying files : pfb
         copying files : otf
    processing aborted : no afm files found

                --help : show some more info

After this aborted texfont-command I have to run the mktexlsr-comand to
rebuild the font-structure - even to get the normal results without using the
new font. An example-file is attached to this email - without IPA-signs.

Did I missed a step or is texfont obsolete?

Thanks, H.

[-- Attachment #2: first.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 252 bytes --]

%\usetypescript[arial]
%\setupbodyfont[arial]

\definetypeface [MS][ss][sans] [arial]        [default][encoding=uc]
\setupbodyfont[MS, 11pt]

\starttext
Bonvenon mondo! :-)

ИЯЯЯЯЯЯЧСМИТ

نسكتب ب نب بت يش ي

hehohä

\stoptext

* Re:  installationproblem with context-distribution: xetex not working
@ 2007-02-24 21:08   ` Henning Haeske
From: Henning Haeske @ 2007-02-24 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks,

it is working after I copied the relevant files from my texmf-fonts/.... into
the texmf-local/.... folder.

The disjunction into the different texmf-... folders:

texmf/....
texmf-local/...
texmf-font/....
texmf-extra/...
texmf-linux/....

is a little bit confusing to me. Is this seperation necessary or can I just
merge them?

Ciao, H.

Je Lundo, 19. Februaro 2007 12:05, Taco Hoekwater skribis:

@ 2007-02-25 17:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Haeske wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> it is working after I copied the relevant files from my texmf-fonts/.... into
> the texmf-local/.... folder.
>
> The disjunction into the different texmf-... folders:
>
> texmf/....
> texmf-local/...
> texmf-font/....
> texmf-extra/...
> texmf-linux/....
>
> is a little bit confusing to me. Is this seperation necessary or can I just
> merge them?

you can merge them but best update in texmf-local

i must look into texmf-extra since by now the content maybe free enough
for texmf

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texfont aborts with charisSIL
@ 2007-02-25 18:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-25 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Haeske wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after my first installation was successful I am trying to install the latest
> IPA-font from SIL (Charis -
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=IPAhome#Charis ).
>
> I followed the instruction from the wiki:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step
>
> I downloaded the charis-font I decompressed the package and got following
> files:
> ~/Schriftsysteme/IPA $ ls
> CharisSIL4.100FontDocumentation.pdf  CharisSILB.ttf  FONTLOG.txt  README.txt
> CharisSIL4.100.zip                   CharisSILI.ttf  OFL-FAQ.txt
> CharisSILBI.ttf                      CharisSILR.ttf  OFL.txt
>
> Then I entered the sucgested texfont-command:
>
> ~/Schriftsysteme/IPA $ texfont --ve=sil --co=charis --makepath --install *.ttf
> /tmp/tex/texmf-linux/bin/texmfstart:2073: warning: Insecure world writable
> dir /tmp/tex/texmf-linux/bin, mode 040777
>
> TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004
>
> mktexlsr: Updating /tmp/tex/texmf-fonts/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Done.
>        encoding vector : texnansi
>            vendor name : sil
>            source path : .
>        font collection : charis
>        texmf font root : /tmp/tex/texmf-fonts
>          map file name : texnansi-sil-charis.map
>            source path : .
>       processing files : all in pattern CharisSILBI.ttf
>     locating afm files : using pattern ./CharisSILBI.ttf.afm
>     locating afm files : using otf files
>          copying files : afm
>          copying files : pfb
>          copying files : otf
>     processing aborted : no afm files found
>
>                 --help : show some more info
>
> After this aborted texfont-command I have to run the mktexlsr-comand to
> rebuild the font-structure - even to get the normal results without using the
> new font. An example-file is attached to this email - without IPA-signs.

hm, so mktexlsr was aborted cq. ls-r was messed up for some reason? strange
> Did I missed a step or is texfont obsolete?

no, but soon you won't need it anymore (xetex supports open type directly as does luatex)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-02-25 22:24     ` Henning Haeske
From: Henning Haeske @ 2007-02-25 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

thanks for the reply.

> hm, so mktexlsr was aborted cq. ls-r was messed up for some reason? strange

> > Did I missed a step or is texfont obsolete?
>
> no, but soon you won't need it anymore (xetex supports open type directly
> as does luatex)

Ok... unfortunately I need this font. Can you/anyone tell me, how to add this
font in the actual context, so that it can be used together with xetex?

Thanks, H.

* Re: texfont aborts with charisSIL
@ 2007-02-26  5:29       ` Ulf Martin
From: Ulf Martin @ 2007-02-26  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Haeske schrieb:
> Ok... unfortunately I need this font. Can you/anyone tell me, how to add this
> font in the actual context, so that it can be used together with xetex?

\definetypeface[TypeFace][rm][Xserif][Charis SIL]
\setupbodyfont[TypeFace, 10pt]

got this from

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_XeTeX

Cheers,
Ulf Martin

* Re: texfont aborts with charisSIL
@ 2007-02-26  8:19       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-26  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Haeske wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> thanks for the reply.
>

>> hm, so mktexlsr was aborted cq. ls-r was messed up for some reason? strange
>>

> ....can you explain this �cq� and �ls-r� for a context-newbie like me?

mktexlsr : generates a file database

this database is actually the output of the unix command "ls -R" and
therefore a list of files and directories

each texmf tree has such an ls-R (or ls-r) file

>>> Did I missed a step or is texfont obsolete?
>>>
>> no, but soon you won't need it anymore (xetex supports open type directly
>> as does luatex)
>>

> Ok... unfortunately I need this font. Can you/anyone tell me, how to add this
> font in the actual context, so that it can be used together with xetex?

there are users on the list who use gentium (never installed it myself)

Hans