* Semi-verbatim
@ 2007-03-25 21:20 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-03-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a situation where I wish to import a file and have the line
endings and the spaces honored as in \typefile. But I want any font
changes (e.g. \it) honored as well. I tried the plain TeX commands
\obeylines and \obeyspaces. The line endings and typeface changes
were honored but the spaces were not.

Is there a convenient way to do this? I can preprocess the file
through e.g. sed to patch in \crlf and hard spaces but this seems a
bit clumsy.

BTW this is text in columns. The length of every line is limited to 45
characters.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

* Re: Semi-verbatim
@ 2007-03-27 12:00 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-03-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> I have a situation where I wish to import a file and have the line
> endings and the spaces honored as in \typefile. But I want any font
> changes (e.g. \it) honored as well. I tried the plain TeX commands
> \obeylines and \obeyspaces. The line endings and typeface changes
> were honored but the spaces were not.
>
> Is there a convenient way to do this? I can preprocess the file
> through e.g. sed to patch in \crlf and hard spaces but this seems a
> bit clumsy.

You could try with \processingverbatimtrue . If you are lucky,
that will trigger \obeyspaces into outputting \hboxes instead of
actual spaces.

Good luck, Taco