* Listing of typical beginner-questions
@ 2007-03-29 17:36 Luuk Beurskens
From: Luuk Beurskens @ 2007-03-29 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

Last weekend I had my first hands-on experience with Context. I was told
that a listing of the type of problems that I encountered would have a
certain value to the Context project. That's why below you'll find an
overview of my beginner-questions, to some of which I already found answers.

My aim is not to have all questions answered via the list, but rather to
document them for later use in some kind of manual. For I know that
finding the answers is mostly a matter of searching the documentation.

Kind regards,

Luuk Beurskens
The Netherlands

PS: I have been using Latex for some years. The questions below came up
using a stand-alone Context environment in MS Windows.

Q: Starting with Context, the use of which language is to be preferred
for the commands?
A: The English version is most commonly applied, even in the Netherlands

Q: If one starts in a Context document in one language, can it be easily
converted to another language (form English to Dutch or German, for
example)?
A: This is possible, but no ready-available tool exists.

Q: Why does background=color not work inside \bTABLE ... \eTABLE?
A: Put \setupcolors[state=start] in the beginning of the document

Q: How to apply a background colour for the margin space?
A: This is possible but not easy to explain. See info by Patrick
Gundlach and the section Crossing Borders in the Metafun manual in
chapter Pagebackgrounds by Hans Hagen.

Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is there
a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?

Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography} environment?

Q: The command \setupwhitespace[big] doesn't have an impact on the
paragraph spacing. What am I doing wrong?

Q: Using \startcombination[*] it is possible to display several pictures
into one figure. How could one achieve that several figures are treated
as one picture, i.e. that they are all forced to be placed on one page?

Q: One cell in a table (\bTABLE ... e\TABLE) should contain a unit (EJ
for example) in square brackets: [EJ]. The result is that the respective
row is not displayed at all. What is wrong? Could I possibly use the
Latex equivalent \symbol{code}?

Q: How can I change the fontsize inside a table?

Q: How can I change the fontsize of an \inmargin?

Q: How can I make a line in the header or footer of a document?

Q: How can I define a fancy page numbering (i.e. large and coloured
number)?

Q: How to make sure that numbers in a colomn align correctly, for example:
9400
   60
  100
    3
Inserting ~ works fine when using a proportional font. An extra
difficulty occurs when the figures should be centered below the heading
of the column.

Q: a question related to the use of SciTE: changing the file
scite.properties for a proportional fontsize doesn't work, although it
is very well explained in the SciTE helpfile. What's the trick?

Q: Installing the minimal context distribution on a Windows 98 machine
gives problems when copying on harddisk E:. Running the batch-file
cscite.bat results in the following message: "cscite root, e.g. cscite
d:\copyofcdrom" (more info: C: exists but D: is a non-writable linux
partition). On a different computer the same directory structure on C:
didn't give this message and worked well.

* Re: Listing of typical beginner-questions
@ 2007-03-29 18:56 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-29 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:36:10 +0200
Luuk Beurskens <luuk.beurskens@gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Last weekend I had my first hands-on experience with Context. I was told
> that a listing of the type of problems that I encountered would have a
> certain value to the Context project. That's why below you'll find an
> overview of my beginner-questions, to some of which I already found answers.
>
> My aim is not to have all questions answered via the list, but rather to
> document them for later use in some kind of manual. For I know that
> finding the answers is mostly a matter of searching the documentation.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Luuk Beurskens
> The Netherlands
>
> PS: I have been using Latex for some years. The questions below came up
> using a stand-alone Context environment in MS Windows.
>

> Q: Starting with Context, the use of which language is to be preferred
> for the commands?
> A: The English version is most commonly applied, even in the Netherlands
>
> Q: If one starts in a Context document in one language, can it be easily
> converted to another language (form English to Dutch or German, for
> example)?
> A: This is possible, but no ready-available tool exists.
>
> Q: Why does background=color not work inside \bTABLE ... \eTABLE?
> A: Put \setupcolors[state=start] in the beginning of the document
>
> Q: How to apply a background colour for the margin space?
> A: This is possible but not easy to explain. See info by Patrick
> Gundlach and the section Crossing Borders in the Metafun manual in
> chapter Pagebackgrounds by Hans Hagen.

Hi Luuk,

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=screen]

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is there
> a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?

You should use \environment's:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure

> Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography} environment?
>
> Q: The command \setupwhitespace[big] doesn't have an impact on the
> paragraph spacing. What am I doing wrong?

\setupwhitespace[big]

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Q: Using \startcombination[*] it is possible to display several pictures
> into one figure. How could one achieve that several figures are treated
> as one picture, i.e. that they are all forced to be placed on one page?

\starttext

\setupframed[width=5cm,height=5cm]

\input knuth

\placefigure
  [page]
  []
  {Four blocks}
  {\startcombination[2*2]
     {\framed{}}{Block 1}
     {\framed{}}{Block 2}
     {\framed{}}{Block 3}
     {\framed{}}{Block 4}
   \stopcombination}

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Q: One cell in a table (\bTABLE ... e\TABLE) should contain a unit (EJ
> for example) in square brackets: [EJ]. The result is that the respective
> row is not displayed at all. What is wrong? Could I possibly use the
> Latex equivalent \symbol{code}?

\starttext

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD
      {[EJ]}
    \eTD
  \eTR
\eTABLE

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD[left={[},right={]}]
      EJ
    \eTD
  \eTR
\eTABLE

\stoptext

> Q: How can I change the fontsize inside a table?

\starttext

Text

\setupTABLE[style=small]

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD Text \eTD
  \eTD
\eTABLE

\setuptables[bodyfont=small]

\starttable[|l|]
\NC Text \NC\AR
\stoptable

\setuptabulate[bodyfont=small]

\starttabulate[|l|]
\NC Text \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stoptext

> Q: How can I change the fontsize of an \inmargin?

\starttext

Text

\setupinmargin[style=small]

\inmargin{Text}

\stoptext

> Q: How can I make a line in the header or footer of a document?

\setupheadertexts[left][right]
\setupfootertexts[left][right]

\starttext

Text

\stoptext

> Q: How can I define a fancy page numbering (i.e. large and coloured
> number)?
>
> Q: How to make sure that numbers in a colomn align correctly, for example:
> 9400
>    60
>   100
>     3
> Inserting ~ works fine when using a proportional font. An extra
> difficulty occurs when the figures should be centered below the heading
> of the column.
>
> Q: a question related to the use of SciTE: changing the file
> scite.properties for a proportional fontsize doesn't work, although it
> is very well explained in the SciTE helpfile. What's the trick?

I think this is a bug in the version shipped with the ConTeXt
distribution for Windows, because in the download version from the
Scite homepage everything works as expected.

Wolfgang

@ 2007-03-29 20:10   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-03-29 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to Wolfgang and Luuk for the many questions and answers.

I'll accumulate such items in a file to upload from time to time to
the Wiki -- with the goal of making a _ConTeXt cookbook_, subtitled
_Or how do I do X in ConTeXt?_.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

* Re: Listing of typical beginner-questions
@ 2007-03-29 20:13 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2007-03-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luuk Beurskens wrote:
> Q: Installing the minimal context distribution on a Windows 98 machine
> gives problems when copying on harddisk E:. Running the batch-file
> cscite.bat results in the following message: "cscite root, e.g. cscite
> d:\copyofcdrom" (more info: C: exists but D: is a non-writable linux
> partition).

This maybe a "feature" in your Windows installation and may occasionally
turn up with installation from CD and such.

I've stumbled on this problem several times with earlier versions of
Windows (95, 98, NT) - the common nominator for all was that Windows had
been installed from CD to unpartitioned hard disk and thus the CD drive
letter became D. After another hard drive was added or the existing one
partitioned in two, the CD drive or similar moved to become drive E.
Unfortunately, this kind of changes didn't always make it to Windows
registry and thus programs still attempt to use D when they mean E.

Once upon a time I knew how to fix this in a Windows-only computer, but
don't unfortunately remember very well any more how to do it. I think it
involved time and some careful searching in the registry editor to get
rid of all the obsolete D letters.

This is the main reason why I still change my drive letters in a new
Windows to R for read (for CD reader) and W for write (for CD/DVD
writer), so additional hard drives don't 'push' them. Nowadays I just go
crazy with a multitude of external USB devices trying to use each
other's drive letters or network drive letters and not showing up as
result; I'm seriously running out of alphabets on my work XP!

Good Luck,

Mari the Windows user

* Re: Listing of typical beginner-questions
@ 2007-03-29 22:02     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-03-29 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-03-29 um 22:10 schrieb Sanjoy Mahajan:

> I'll accumulate such items in a file to upload from time to time to
> the Wiki -- with the goal of making a _ConTeXt cookbook_, subtitled
> _Or how do I do X in ConTeXt?_.

I once planned such a cookbook myself, so there's already a title
picture:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Image:Kochloewe_c.jpg
Feel free to use it.
;-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Listing of typical beginner-questions
@ 2007-03-29 22:10   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-03-29 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-03-29 um 20:56 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

>> Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is
>> there
>> a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?
>
> You should use \environment's:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure

Not always, makes sense only for multi-file projects.
For simple documents, just place your setups before \starttext

>> Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography}
>> environment?

What *does* the LaTeX environment? (Same for every "like in LaTeX"
question - here are not a lot of LaTeX users...)

>> Q: How can I define a fancy page numbering (i.e. large and coloured
>> number)?

some hints here:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Headers_and_Footers
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chapters_headers

but you're right, a page about pagination is missing

>> Q: How to make sure that numbers in a column align correctly, for
>> example:
>> 9400
>>    60
>>   100
>>     3
>> Inserting ~ works fine when using a proportional font. An extra
>> difficulty occurs when the figures should be centered below the
>> heading
>> of the column.

There are several different kinds of tables, each uses other setups
for right-aligned columns.
see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview

NEVER use spaces (or ~) for alignment! (That's a very bad typewriter
habit!)

@ 2007-03-30  7:31     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-30  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/3/30, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:

> Am 2007-03-29 um 20:56 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>

> >> Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is
> >> there
> >> a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?
> >
> > You should use \environment's:
> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure
>
> Not always, makes sense only for multi-file projects.
> For simple documents, just place your setups before \starttext
>
> >> Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography}
> >> environment?
>
> What *does* the LaTeX environment? (Same for every "like in LaTeX"
> question - here are not a lot of LaTeX users...)

It is something like this

\startitemize
\item[reference] Describtion of your bibiography
\stopitemize

I found something done by a user in a old Maps article:

http://maps.aanhet.net/maps/pdf/27_14.pdf

I don't why one should us this mothod and not the one provided by Tacos bib
module:

http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-bib/doc/context/bib/bibmod-doc.pdf

Wolfgang

@ 2007-03-30  9:23   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2007-03-30  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 29, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:36:10 +0200
> Luuk Beurskens <luuk.beurskens@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Last weekend I had my first hands-on experience with Context. I
>> was told
>> that a listing of the type of problems that I encountered would
>> have a
>> certain value to the Context project. That's why below you'll find an
>> overview of my beginner-questions, to some of which I already
>> found answers.
>>
>> My aim is not to have all questions answered via the list, but
>> rather to
>> document them for later use in some kind of manual. For I know that
>> finding the answers is mostly a matter of searching the
>> documentation.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Luuk Beurskens
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> PS: I have been using Latex for some years. The questions below
>> came up
>> using a stand-alone Context environment in MS Windows.
>>

>> Q: Starting with Context, the use of which language is to be
>> preferred
>> for the commands?
>> A: The English version is most commonly applied, even in the
>> Netherlands
>>
>> Q: If one starts in a Context document in one language, can it be
>> easily
>> converted to another language (form English to Dutch or German, for
>> example)?
>> A: This is possible, but no ready-available tool exists.
>>
>> Q: Why does background=color not work inside \bTABLE ... \eTABLE?
>> A: Put \setupcolors[state=start] in the beginning of the document
>>
>> Q: How to apply a background colour for the margin space?
>> A: This is possible but not easy to explain. See info by Patrick
>> Gundlach and the section Crossing Borders in the Metafun manual in
>> chapter Pagebackgrounds by Hans Hagen.
>>

> Hi Luuk,
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=screen]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
>> Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is
>> there
>> a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?
>
> You should use \environment's:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure

Often I use a file with the name layout.tex to put there all kind of
general issues to the document.

\startenvironment layout
	\setupbodyfont[ss,12pt]
	\setuplayout[	...]

\stopenvironment

Load this file in the doucment with

\environment layout
\starttext
\stoptext

>> Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography}
>> environment?
>>
>> Q: The command \setupwhitespace[big] doesn't have an impact on the
>> paragraph spacing. What am I doing wrong?
>
> \setupwhitespace[big]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: Using \startcombination[*] it is possible to display several
>> pictures
>> into one figure. How could one achieve that several figures are
>> treated
>> as one picture, i.e. that they are all forced to be placed on one
>> page?
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupframed[width=5cm,height=5cm]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \placefigure
>   [page]
>   []
>   {Four blocks}
>   {\startcombination[2*2]
>      {\framed{}}{Block 1}
>      {\framed{}}{Block 2}
>      {\framed{}}{Block 3}
>      {\framed{}}{Block 4}
>    \stopcombination}
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: One cell in a table (\bTABLE ... e\TABLE) should contain a unit
>> (EJ
>> for example) in square brackets: [EJ]. The result is that the
>> respective
>> row is not displayed at all. What is wrong? Could I possibly use the
>> Latex equivalent \symbol{code}?
>
> \starttext
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD
>       {[EJ]}
>     \eTD
>   \eTR
> \eTABLE
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD[left={[},right={]}]
>       EJ
>     \eTD
>   \eTR
> \eTABLE
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: How can I change the fontsize inside a table?
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \setupTABLE[style=small]
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD Text \eTD
>   \eTD
> \eTABLE
>
> \setuptables[bodyfont=small]
>
> \starttable[|l|]
> \NC Text \NC\AR
> \stoptable
>
> \setuptabulate[bodyfont=small]
>
> \starttabulate[|l|]
> \NC Text \NC\NR
> \stoptabulate
>
> \stoptext

you can also say \switchtobodyfont[rm,6pt] where ever you need to
change the fontsize and or switch from rm to ss.

>> Q: How can I change the fontsize of an \inmargin?
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \setupinmargin[style=small]
>
> \inmargin{Text}
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: How can I make a line in the header or footer of a document?
>
> \setupheadertexts[left][right]
> \setupfootertexts[left][right]
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \stoptext
In case that you want to place a rule beneath the running header:

\setupbackgrounds[...][...,...,...][...,...=...,...]
	[...] top header text footer bottom page paper leftpage rightpage
	[...,...,...] leftedge leftmargin text rightmargin rightedge
			state = start stop repeat
	[...,...=...,...] see \setupframed

I.e. you can say things like \setupbackgrounds[header][text]
[bottomframe=on]

>> Q: How can I define a fancy page numbering (i.e. large and coloured
>> number)?
>>
>> Q: How to make sure that numbers in a colomn align correctly, for
>> example:
>> 9400
>>    60
>>   100
>>     3
>> Inserting ~ works fine when using a proportional font. An extra
>> difficulty occurs when the figures should be centered below the
>> heading
>> of the column.
>>
>> Q: a question related to the use of SciTE: changing the file
>> scite.properties for a proportional fontsize doesn't work,
>> although it
>> is very well explained in the SciTE helpfile. What's the trick?
>
> I think this is a bug in the version shipped with the ConTeXt
> distribution for Windows, because in the download version from the
> Scite homepage everything works as expected.
>
> Wolfgang
>

>> Q: Installing the minimal context distribution on a Windows 98
>> machine
>> gives problems when copying on harddisk E:. Running the batch-file
>> cscite.bat results in the following message: "cscite root, e.g.
>> cscite
>> d:\copyofcdrom" (more info: C: exists but D: is a non-writable linux
>> partition). On a different computer the same directory structure
>> on C:
>> didn't give this message and worked well.

Willi Egger
w.egger@boede.nl

* Re: Listing of typical beginner-questions
@ 2007-03-30 14:52     ` Luuk Beurskens
From: Luuk Beurskens @ 2007-03-30 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you all for the answers provided to my list of beginner-questions,
and also for the suggestions made of using the questions for further
documentation.

Best regards,

Luuk Beurskens
The Netherlands