* bib question
@ 2007-04-02 12:18 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-04-02 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

not really a question about specific code, but I need an idea: I have
a fairly large bibliographical list which is generated from an even
larger bibtex database. Now, I want to quote some of the items from
this list on my slides, but I want to retain the original numbering
in the list, like so:

the list:

[1] item A

[2] item B

[3] item C

the slide:

[2] item B

[3] item C

Can anyone suggest an approach for this? Or is this impossible with
bibtex, and I have to typeset the slides manually?

Thanks, and best

Thomas

* Re: bib question
@ 2007-04-02 13:17 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-02 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Can anyone suggest an approach for this? Or is this impossible with
> bibtex, and I have to typeset the slides manually?

There is \placepublications[option=continue], but that requires
quite a bit of black magic with faked sections and boxes that
you have to throw away. Much easier to typeset the slide by hand,
I believe.

(If it was all through a large document, I would propose to
  fixup the bbl file by changing the 'serial' keys by hand (that
  is the 'n' key to \startpublication) and use those are numbering
  instead of an autogenerated number. )

Best, Taco

* Re: bib question
@ 2007-04-02 18:58   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-04-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> There is \placepublications[option=continue], but that requires
> quite a bit of black magic with faked sections and boxes that
> you have to throw away. Much easier to typeset the slide by hand,
> I believe.
>
> (If it was all through a large document, I would propose to
>   fixup the bbl file by changing the 'serial' keys by hand (that
>   is the 'n' key to \startpublication) and use those are numbering
>   instead of an autogenerated number. )
>
> Best, Taco

Hi Taco,

thanks for your reply - even if it's bad news... One thought: I could
use the same bbl file for all my presentations, right? And then fix
the numbering in there. But unfortuntately, as far as I understand,
the .bbl always contains the entire database, not just the quoted
references. Can this behavior be influenced?

Best

Thomas

* Re: bib question
@ 2007-04-03  9:50     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-03  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> thanks for your reply - even if it's bad news... One thought: I could
> use the same bbl file for all my presentations, right? And then fix
> the numbering in there. But unfortuntately, as far as I understand,
> the .bbl always contains the entire database, not just the quoted
> references. Can this behavior be influenced?

You can delete what you don't need, but everything is always exported
from bibtex.  For the bib module, the .bbl _is_ the database. It
considers .bib to be just another data representation format.

Cheers,
Taco

* Re: bib question
@ 2007-04-03 10:18       ` M.J. Kallen
From: M.J. Kallen @ 2007-04-03 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> >
> > thanks for your reply - even if it's bad news...
> One thought: I could
> > use the same bbl file for all my presentations,
> right? And then fix
> > the numbering in there. But unfortuntately, as far
> as I understand,
> > the .bbl always contains the entire database, not
> just the quoted
> > references. Can this behavior be influenced?
>
> You can delete what you don't need, but everything
> is always exported
> from bibtex.  For the bib module, the .bbl _is_ the
> database. It
> considers .bib to be just another data
> representation format.

It would be nice to have an option which only puts the
cited references into the .bbl file. Now if I use the
authoryear option and I have two references from the
same author in the same year, I get either "Author
(2007a)" or "Author (2007b)" and not "Author (2007)"
in the bibliography if I only cite one of them in my
document. Now I have to remove one of the references
manually from either the .bib or .bbl files, which is
certainly not a disaster, but I do not have to do this
with LaTeX+BibTeX.

Would this be possible?

Maarten-Jan

> Cheers,
> Taco

Maarten-Jan

----

* Re: bib question
@ 2007-04-03 10:28         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-04-03 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:18 PM, M.J. Kallen wrote:

> It would be nice to have an option which only puts the
> cited references into the .bbl file. Now if I use the
> authoryear option and I have two references from the
> same author in the same year, I get either "Author
> (2007a)" or "Author (2007b)" and not "Author (2007)"
> in the bibliography if I only cite one of them in my
> document. Now I have to remove one of the references
> manually from either the .bib or .bbl files, which is
> certainly not a disaster, but I do not have to do this
> with LaTeX+BibTeX.
>
> Would this be possible?
>
> Maarten-Jan

Have you tried the "maybeyear=off" option in \setuppublicationlist?
That was meant to take care of such problems. But I agree that this
would be a nice option. Would it be possible to filter the bbl file
through the cite-keys found in *.tuo?

Thomas

* Re: bib question
@ 2007-04-03 10:48         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-03 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

M.J. Kallen wrote:
> It would be nice to have an option which only puts the
> cited references into the .bbl file. Now if I use the
> authoryear option and I have two references from the
> same author in the same year, I get either "Author
> (2007a)" or "Author (2007b)" and not "Author (2007)"
> in the bibliography if I only cite one of them in my
> document. Now I have to remove one of the references
> manually from either the .bib or .bbl files, which is
> certainly not a disaster, but I do not have to do this
> with LaTeX+BibTeX.
>
> Would this be possible?

Sure, I have that on the 'todo' list already. But my schedule is
a bit overconstrained, and I never seem to get around working on
the module. So unless someone else wants to help out, the next
release of the module may not be until somewhere in 2008.

Best wishes,

Taco

* Re: bib question
@ 2006-02-22  8:06   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-02-22  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

>> the 6th entry. So, how do I get [1] both in the place where I cite
>> [knuth:texbook] and in the list of publications?
>
> [...]
>
>> \setuppublications
>>   [sorttype=cite,
>>     refcommand=number,
>
> Make this line:
>       refcommand=num,

Thanks, that's it. I should have read 3.1) Cite options more
thoroughly.

Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: bib question
@ 2006-02-21 16:19 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> the 6th entry. So, how do I get [1] both in the place where I cite
> [knuth:texbook] and in the list of publications?

[...]

> \setuppublications
>   [sorttype=cite,
>     refcommand=number,

Make this line:
      refcommand=num,

Cheers, Taco

* bib question
@ 2006-02-21 15:17 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-02-21 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello out there,

I use Taco's bib module and have a question concering
labels/numbering. In the text I use \cite[knuth:texbook] and want to
have a label like [1]. In the list of publications I have all bib
entries also labeled [1], [2], ... but the ordering in the textbody is
incorrect. The first citation in the text is labeled [6] while the
corresponding entry in the list of publications it is labeled [1]. The
number 6 probably comes from the bib database, where [knuth:texbook] is
the 6th entry. So, how do I get [1] both in the place where I cite
[knuth:texbook] and in the list of publications?

Thanks,

Patrick

\usemodule[bib]
\def\EckNummer#1{[#1]}