I know someone out there has the answer to this. If I run texexec through a shell, even with the full path to texexec, I get an error, "/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/texexec: line 1: sed: command not found `.pl' not found." Running Google with the error shows that it is quit common, but I could not find a good fix. I guess kpsewhich gets lost in the shell because the shell needs full paths the whole way through the command. Has anyone written a shell to get texexec --pdf ? Thanks Robert