* cannot set "et al." to italic
@ 2007-04-26 12:30 Roy Zuo
From: Roy Zuo @ 2007-04-26 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

When using the bibltx module, I want to make the otherstext "et al." italic.
I have tried

\setupcite[authoryears][otherstext={\it et al.}]

but no luck.

After looking in to the mailing list archive, I find that the italic style
seems have been made default for most recent bibliography modules(am I
right?). I just want to do that in my setup, can I? Or, do I have to update
my bibliography modules?

Thanks,

Roy

* Re: cannot set "et al." to italic
@ 2007-04-26 12:48 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-26 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Zuo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When using the bibltx module, I want to make the otherstext "et al."
> italic.
> I have tried
>
> \setupcite[authoryears][otherstext={\it et al.}]

That should work. Can you post a minimal example file where it doesn't?

Taco

* Re: cannot set "et al." to italic
@ 2007-04-26 13:07   ` Roy Zuo
From: Roy Zuo @ 2007-04-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

The bibliography related code are as following. I have tried removing all
other setups, the problems still remains. The ConTeXt I am using is the one
shipped with debian etch TeXlive, is that version too old?

\usemodule[bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setupbibtex[database=nanomechanics, sort=author]
\setuppublications[sorttype=bbl, alternative=apa]
\setupcite[authoryears][otherstext={\it et al.}]
\setupcite[author][left=,right=,otherstext={\it et al.}]

Roy

* Re: cannot set "et al." to italic
@ 2007-04-26 14:01     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-26 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Zuo wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> The bibliography related code are as following. I have tried removing all
> other setups, the problems still remains. The ConTeXt I am using is the one
> shipped with debian etch TeXlive, is that version too old?
>
> \usemodule[bib]
> \usemodule[bibltx]
> \setupbibtex[database=nanomechanics, sort=author]
> \setuppublications[sorttype=bbl, alternative=apa]
> \setupcite[authoryears][otherstext={\it et al.}]
> \setupcite[author][left=,right=,otherstext={\it et al.}]

I was specifically looking for a *complete* test file that
I could run. This preamble does not help me in finding the
problem because I don't see the actual usage.

In any case, your context should not be too old.

Best, Taco

* Re: cannot set "et al." to italic
@ 2007-04-27  2:26       ` Roy Zuo
From: Roy Zuo @ 2007-04-27  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10955 bytes --]

> I was specifically looking for a *complete* test file that
> I could run. This preamble does not help me in finding the
> problem because I don't see the actual usage.
>
> In any case, your context should not be too old.
>
> Best, Taco

Hi Taco,

Here is the minimum tex code and the bib file. My context version is
2005.10.27. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Roy

%bibliorgraphy
\usemodule[bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setupbibtex[database=nanomechanics, sort=author]
\setuppublications[sorttype=bbl, alternative=apa]
\setupcite[authoryears][otherstext={{\it et al.}}]
\setupcite[author][left=,right=,otherstext={{\it et al.}}]
%====================the body goes here=====================================
\starttext

\startbodymatter

%\showlayout

\chapter{Introduction}
Submicron materials are now found to exhibit extreme large yield strength
as high as 10 times when compared with their bulk counterparts, which is
known as the size effect of strength. This is referred to an increase
of flow stress at some infinite strain, in terms of hardness obtained from
nanoindentation experiments\cite[Pethica, Doerner, Stelmashenko, Ma,
McElhaney, Lim, LiuNgan], or torsional strength obtained from twisting
test on small whiskers\cite[Fleck]. The explanation for this, which
has gained extensive acceptance, is the existence of strain gradient in
these deformation configurations\cite[Fleck].

\stopbodymatter
%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startbackmatter
\completepublications
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext
%====================the end================================================

==========================bib file goes here(nanomechanics.bib
)=================

@article{Uchic,
    author = { M. D. Uchic and D. M. Dimiduk and J. N. Florando and W. D.
Nix },
    title = {Sample dimensions influence strength and crystal plasticity},
    journal = {Science},
    volume = {50},
    pages = {986--989},
    year = {2004}
}

@article{Pethica,
    author = { J. B. Pethica and R. Hutchings and W. C. Oliver},
    title = { Hardness measurement at penetration depths as small as 20 nm},
    journal = { Phil. Mag. A },
    volume = {48},
    pages = {593--606},
    year = {1983},
}

@article{Doerner,
    author = { M. F. Doerner and W. D. Nix},
    title = { A method for interpreting the data from depth-sensing
    indentation instruments},
    journal = {J. Mater. Res.},
    volume = {1},
    pages = {601--616},
    year = {1986},
}

@article{Ma,
    author = {Q. Ma and D. R. Clarke},
    title = {Size dependent hardness of silver single crystals},
    journal = {J. Mater. Res.},
    volume = {10},
    pages = {853--863},
    year = {1995},
}

@article{LiuNgan,
    author = { Y. Liu and A. H. W. Ngan },
    title = {Depth dependence of hardness in copper single crystals},
    journal = {Scripta Mater.},
    volume = {44},
    pages = {237--241},
    year = {2001},
}

@article{NixGao,
    author = { W. D. Nix and H. Gao },
    title = {Indentation size effects in crystalline materials: a law for
    strain gradient plasticity},
    journal = {J. Mech. Phys. Solids},
    volume = {46},
    pages = {411--425},
    year = {1998},
}

@article{Fleck,
    author = { N. A. Fleck and G. M. Muller and M. F. Ashby and J. W.
Hutchison},
    title = {Strain gradient plasticity: theory and experiment},
    journal = {Acta Metall. Mater.},
    volume = {42},
    pages = {475--487},
    year = {1994},
}

@inbook{Smallman,
    author = { R. E. Smallman and R. J. Bishop},
    title = {Metals and Materials - Science, Processes, Applications},
    publisher = {Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford},
    pages = {223},
    year = {1995},
}

@article{Gerberich,
    author = { W. W. Gerberich and S. K. Venkataraman and H. Huang and S. E.
Harvey and D. L. Kohlstedt},
    title = {The injection of plasticity by millinewton contacts},
    journal = {Acta Mater.},
    volume = {43},
    pages = {1569--1576},
    year = {1995},
}

@article{Chiu,
    author = {Y. L. Chiu and A. H. W. Ngan},
    title = {Time-dependent characteristics of incipient plasticity in
    nanoindentation of {N}i$_3${A}l single crystal},
    journal = {Acta Mater.},
    volume = {50},
    pages = {1599--1611},
    year = {2002},
}

@article{WoNgan01,
    author = { P. C. Wo and A. H. W. Ngan },
    title = {Incipient plasticity during nanoscratch in {N}i$_3${A}l},
    journal = {Phil. Mag.},
    volume = {84},
    pages = {3145--3157},
    year = {2004},
}

@book{Feng,
    author = { G. Feng },
    title = {Creep Effects in Nanoindentation},
    publisher = {MPhil Thesis, University of Hong Kong},
    year = {2001},
}

@article{WoZuoNgan,
    author = { P. C. Wo and L. Zuo and A. H. W. Ngan },
    title = {time-dependent incipient plasticity in {N}i$_3${A}l as observed
    in nanoindentation},
    journal = {J. Mater. Res.},
    volume = {20},
    pages = {489--495},
    year = {2005},
}

@article{NganZuoWo,
    author = { A. H. W. Ngan and L. Zuo and P. C. Wo},
    title = {Size dependence and stochastic nature of yield strength of
micron-sized crystals: a case study on {N}i$_3${A}l},
    journal = {Proc. R. Soc. A},
    year = {2006},
    volume = 462,
    pages = {1661-1681},
}

@article{Schuh,
    author = {C. A. Schuh and A. C. Lund},
    title = {Application of nucleation theory to the rate dependence of
    incipient plasticity during nanoindentation},
    journal = {J. Mater. Res.},
    volume = {19},
    pages = {2152--2158},
    year = {2004},
}

@inproceedings{Voter,
    author = {A. F. Voter and S. P. Chen},
    title = {Accurate interatomic potentials for {N}i, {A}l and
{N}i$_3${A}l},
    booktitle = {Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings},
    year = 1987,
    volume = {82},
    pages = {175--180},
}

@article{Woodcock,
    author = {L. V. Woodcock},
    title = {Isothermal molecular dynamics calculations for liquid salts},
    journal = {Chem. Phys. Lett.},
    volume = {10},
    pages = {257--261},
    year = {1971},
}

@article{Liju,
    author = {J. Li},
    title = {{AtomEye}: an efficient atomistic configuration viewer},
    journal = {Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng.},
    volume = {11},
    pages = {173--177},
    year = {2003},
}

@article{NganWen,
    author = {A. H. W. Ngan and M. Wen and C. H. Woo},
    title = {Atomistic simulation of {Paidar-Pope-Vitek} lock formation in
{Ni}$_3${Al}},
    journal = {Computational Materials Science},
    volume = {29},
    pages = {259--269},
    year = {2004},
}

@article{Wagner,
    author = {G. Wagner},
    title = {The film surface as the site for spontaneous nucleation of
dislocation half-loop in strained heteroepitaxial systems},
    journal = {Phys. Stat. Sol. A},
    volume = 173,
    year = 1999,
    pages = {385-403},
}

@article{ZuoNganZheng,
    author = {L. Zuo and A. H. W. Ngan and G. P. Zheng},
    title = {Size Dependence of Incipient Dislocation Plasticity in
{Ni}$_3${Al}},
    journal = {Phys. Rev. Lett.},
    volume = 94,
    year = 2005,
    pages = 095501,
}

@article{Greer,
    author = {J. R. Greer and W. C. Oliver and W. D. Nix},
    title = {Size dependence of mechanical properties of gold at the micron
scale in the absence of strain gradients},
    journal = {Acta Mater.},
    volume = 53,
    year = 2005,
    pages = {1821-1830},
}

@article{LiXu,
    author = {C. Z. Li and G. S. Xu},
    title = {Critical conditions for dislocation nucleation at a surface
step},
    journal = {Phil. Mag. A},
    note = {Accepted for publication},
    year = 2006,
}

@article{XuZhang,
    author = {G Xu and C Zhang},
    title = {Analysis of dislocation nucleation from a crystal surface based
on the {Peierl}-{Nabarro} dislocation model},
    journal = {J. Mech. Phys. Solids.},
    volume = 51,
    year = 2003,
    pages = {1371-1394},
}

@article{ZuoNgan,
    author = {L. Zuo and A. H. W. Ngan},
    title = {Molecular dynamics study on compressive yield strength in
{Ni}$_3${Al} micro-pillars},
    journal = {Phil. Mag. Lett.},
    note = {Accepted for publication},
    year = 2006,
}

@article{Horstemeyer,
    author = {M. F. Horstemeyer and M. I. Barskes and S. T. Plimpton},
    title = {Length scale and time scale effects on the plastic flow of fcc
metals},
    journal = {Acta Mater.},
    volume = 49,
    year = 2001,
    pages = {4363-4374},
}

@article{DuesberyVitek,
    author = {M. S. Duesbery and V. Vitek},
    title = {Plastic anisotropy in b.c.c. transition metals},
    journal = {Acta mater.},
    volume = {46},
    pages = {1481--1492},
    year = {1998},
}

@article{FinnisSinclair,
    author = {M. W. Finnis and J. E. Sinclair},
    title = {A simple empirical N-body potential for transition metals},
    journal = {Phil. Mag. A},
    volume = {50},
    pages = {45--55},
    year = {1984},
}

@article{AcklandThetford,
    author = { G. J. Ackland and R. Thetford},
    title = { An improved N-body semi-empirical model for body-centred cubic
    transition metals},
    journal = {Phil. Mag. A},
    volume = {56},
    pages = {15--30},
    year = {1987},
}

@article{Stelmashenko,
    author = {N. A. Stelmashenko and M. G. Walls and L. M. Brown and Y. V.
Milman },
    title = {Microindentation on {W} and {Mo} oriented single crystals: and
    {STM} study},
    journal = {Acta Metall. Mater.},
    volume = {41},
    pages = {2855--2865},
    year = {1993},
}

@article{McElhaney,
    author = {K. W. McElhaney and J. J. Vlassak and W. D. Nix},
    title = {Determination of indenter tip geometry and indentation contact
    area for depth-sensing indentation experients},
    journal={J. Mater. Res.},
    volume={13},
    pages={1300--1306},
    year={1998},
}

@article{Lim,
    author={Y. Y. Lim and M. M. Chaudhri},
    title={The effect of the indenter load on the nanohardness of ductile
    metals: an experimental study on polycrystalline work-hardened and
        annealed oxygen-free copper},
    journal={Phil. Mag. A},
    volume={79},
    pages={2979--3000},
    year=1999
}

@article{Bahr,
    author={D. F. Bahr and D. E. Krammer and W. W. Gerberich},
    title={Non-linear deformation mechanisms during nanoindentationa},
    journal={Acta Mater.},
    volume={40},
    pages={3605--3617},
    year=1998
}

@article{Suresh,
    author={S. Suresh and T. -G. Nieh and B. W. Choi},
    title={Nano-indentation of copper thin films on silicon substrates},
    journal={Scripta Mater.},
    volume={41},
    pages={951--957},
    year=1999
}

@article{Gouldstone,
    author={A. Gouldstone and  H. -J. Koh and  K. -Y. Zheng and  A. E.
    Giannakopolis and  S.  Suresh},
    title={Discrete and continuous deformation during nanoindentation of
thin
    films},
    volume=48,
    year=2000,
    journal={Acta Mater.},
    pages={2277--2295},
}

@article{Gane,
    author={N. Gane and F. P. Bowden},
    journal={J. Appl. Phys.},
    year={1968},
    volume=39,
    pages={1432--1435},
    title={  Microdeformation of Solids },
}

* Re: cannot set "et al." to italic
@ 2007-04-27  6:10         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-27  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Zuo wrote:

>> I was specifically looking for a *complete* test file that
>> I could run. This preamble does not help me in finding the
>> problem because I don't see the actual usage.
>>
>> In any case, your context should not be too old.

Looks like I was wrong. The file processes with italics here.
It seems your context actually is too old, sorry about the
misinformation I gave earlier.

A warning beforehand: in the latest version, you do need

   \completepublications[criterium=all]

in the backmatter. I hope someone on the list will help you with
any other context updating issues, because I am off to the
EuroBachoTeX conference in an hour.

Best wishes,

Taco