* endlinechar redefinition
@ 2007-06-01  7:42 Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2007-06-01  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt; +Cc: hajtmar

Hi Hans,

Jaroslav Hajtnar (in czech TeX list) encountered the problem with \input
primitive redefinition. He uses a macro package for comma separated
value file (CSV) inclusion. It redefines some catcodes and \endlinechar
before start reading such file by \input. The problem is that during
reading CSV the reading is interrupted by reading another file like

\readfilename ->pdfr-ec
(c:/TeXLive2005/texmf-context-a/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex

ConTeXt macro \input takes care about catcodes but not about
\endlinechar so in this situation the file pdfr-ec is read with wrong
\endlinechar which causes error.

We believe that system solution is the ConTeXt takes care about
\endlinechar when automatically starts reading some standard files.
Please Hans can you look at it?

Thanks
Vit

------------------
Minimal demo attached. As a result of this problem, see the '00000' in
the lower left page corner. Actually it is character ^^X (0x18, part of
per-cent/per-mil char) which is used as \endlinechar delimiter.

[-- Attachment #2: endlinechar.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 3243 bytes --]

* Re: endlinechar redefinition
@ 2007-06-02 20:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Jaroslav Hajtnar (in czech TeX list) encountered the problem with
> \input primitive redefinition. He uses a macro package for comma
> separated value file (CSV) inclusion. It redefines some catcodes and
> \endlinechar before start reading such file by \input. The problem is
> that during reading CSV the reading is interrupted by reading another
> file like
>
> \readfilename ->pdfr-ec
> (c:/TeXLive2005/texmf-context-a/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex
>
> ConTeXt macro \input takes care about catcodes but not about
> \endlinechar so in this situation the file pdfr-ec is read with wrong
> \endlinechar which causes error.
>
> We believe that system solution is the ConTeXt takes care about
> \endlinechar when automatically starts reading some standard files.
> Please Hans can you look at it?

works ok here; i remember an issue but that was solved already (afaik);
tex live 2005 is not that up to date -)

a workaroun din an old version is to load pdfr-ec manually, so that it's
read already when the cvs code shows up

in scancvs ... beware of redefining such core macros

in the latest version there are things like \pushcatcodes ...
\popcatcodes and catcode tables (a simulation of the native luatex
catcode table features);

fyi:  in luatex (and therefore context mkiv) doing things with data
files will be easier

can you test with a recent context?

(there is a cvs module btw)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-06-04 11:38   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2007-06-04 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, ConTeXt; +Cc: hajtmar

Thanks Hans for your response,

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Jaroslav Hajtnar (in czech TeX list) encountered the problem with
>> \input primitive redefinition. He uses a macro package for comma
>> separated value file (CSV) inclusion. It redefines some catcodes and
>> \endlinechar before start reading such file by \input. The problem is
>> that during reading CSV the reading is interrupted by reading another
>> file like
>>
>> \readfilename ->pdfr-ec
>> (c:/TeXLive2005/texmf-context-a/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex
>>
>> ConTeXt macro \input takes care about catcodes but not about
>> \endlinechar so in this situation the file pdfr-ec is read with wrong
>> \endlinechar which causes error.
>>
>> We believe that system solution is the ConTeXt takes care about
>> \endlinechar when automatically starts reading some standard files.
>> Please Hans can you look at it?
>>
> works ok here; i remember an issue but that was solved already (afaik);
> tex live 2005 is not that up to date -)

I did not test this with such museum-belonging ConTeXt. The problem
preserves in the latest public version 2007-04-17. See very left bottom
corner attached PDF (mkii).

> a workaroun din an old version is to load pdfr-ec manually, so that it's
> read already when the cvs code shows up

We internally solve the problem (temporary redefining \input) but I
believe that ConTeXt should follow more systemic solution.

> in scancvs ... beware of redefining such core macros

yes, we did not want you solve possible problems of an usage such
external (plain TeX designed) macros---only if we believe that the
behavior looks like a ConTeXt bug and that can cause problems for other
users.

> in the latest version there are things like \pushcatcodes ...
> \popcatcodes and catcode tables (a simulation of the native luatex
> catcode table features);

I will look at this. But I have not entered a catcode problem in this case.

> fyi:  in luatex (and therefore context mkiv) doing things with data
> files will be easier
>
> can you test with a recent context?

yes, it did not work, see attached files.

> (there is a cvs module btw)

thanks for a remmembering. As I said: this mail is a suggestion to solve
a general problem by systemic way.

Thanks
Vit

[-- Attachment #2: demo.pdf --]

* Re: endlinechar redefinition
@ 2007-06-04 13:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> thanks for a remmembering. As I said: this mail is a suggestion to
> solve a general problem by systemic way.

sure, but \input cannot be redefined in a robust way because of its scanning nature; ok, in luatex we can intercept things, but not in mkii

\startreadingfile ... \stopreadingfile is an option then

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* docbook in context
@ 2007-06-04 14:14     ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-06-04 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

After having had a great deal of problems when submitting my context
files to my publisher, I decided to write future projects in docbook
(V4.4), rather than switching to Word or Open Office. From the docbook
files I then can generate an rtf or wml file which is much more of use
for the publisher, alas.

For me this has the extra advantage of viewing the text in an xml
editor, such as Xmlmind.

My new docbook document processes well in Context and no errors are
reported, thanks again Simon and others for this valuable application.

However two major problems have come up.

The first is a problem with Cals tables and figures:
1. After the section containing a table, all section headings in the
following chapters, sections, subsections, even bridgeheads, until the
end of the document are omitted, without due error message.

2. Figure titles create an extra section or subsection title. I solved
this by using <informalfigure> instead and inserting a <caption>. For
tables using caption is not an option.

A second problem is the language label. In the top level of the tree, I
add the language label, e.g. <book lang="nl">. In general, and for fo
processors this is, I believe the right place. Context gives the
following error message:
\dodosetupsometextprefix ...malist [#3]\docommand
                                                  \else \def \docommand
##1{...
l.53 \XMLDBheadtext[nl]{figuren}{Figuren}

This disappears when the label (lang="nl") is removed. Perhaps I am not
right in putting the language label in this way, if so, please advise.

I am grateful for any help,

Robert

* Re: endlinechar redefinition
@ 2007-06-04 14:24       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2007-06-04 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, ConTeXt; +Cc: hajtmar

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>>
>> thanks for a remmembering. As I said: this mail is a suggestion to
>> solve a general problem by systemic way.
>>
> sure, but \input cannot be redefined in a robust way because of its
> scanning nature; ok, in luatex we can intercept things, but not in mkii
> Hans

I thought that the number of calling \input inside text state is
limited---(only?) one example is a loading encoding definition file. Why
not to incorporate the cleverness of setting a default \endinputchar to
a macro that invokes \input?

> \startreadingfile ... \stopreadingfile is an option then

understand as a solution bypassing \input redefinition

Vit

* Re: endlinechar redefinition
@ 2007-06-04 14:33         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vit.zyka; +Cc: ConTeXt, hajtmar

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Vit Zyka wrote:
>>>
>>> thanks for a remmembering. As I said: this mail is a suggestion to
>>> solve a general problem by systemic way.
>>>
>> sure, but \input cannot be redefined in a robust way because of its
>> scanning nature; ok, in luatex we can intercept things, but not in mkii
>> Hans
>
> I thought that the number of calling \input inside text state is
> limited---(only?) one example is a loading encoding definition file.
> Why not to incorporate the cleverness of setting a default
> \endinputchar to a macro that invokes \input?
>
>> \startreadingfile ... \stopreadingfile is an option then
>
> understand as a solution bypassing \input redefinition
it all depends on the usage ...

- most commands use \readfile, or \readjobfile or alike
- when loading modules of system files , we revert to tex catcode regimes etc

user files ... well, here tex (context) does not know what is dealt with; take xml, in that case we want to stay in xml mode; or verbatim, which needs to set up verbatim

actually this is all arranged already (and always has been)

your problem with the pdfr-enc file results from the fact that loading that file comes at a nasty moment and afaik loading now happens under the right regime; so, if there's a problem we need to find out what's the problem with that file, since it's unrelated to \input (loading that  vector is managed so to say)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: docbook in context
@ 2007-06-04 14:42       ` luigi scarso
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-06-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/4/07, R. Ermers <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> After having had a great deal of problems when submitting my context
> files to my publisher,
What kind of problems ?

--
luigi

* context file to publisher (was: docbook in context)
@ 2007-06-04 14:56         ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-06-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, you know: the publisher preferred a word document or rtf; he was
quite puzzled by the Context codes.
I then had to convert the text to xml, which he was more acostumed to.

Robert

@ 2007-06-04 15:50           ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2007-06-04 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, ConTeXt; +Cc: hajtmar

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> sure, but \input cannot be redefined in a robust way because of its
>>> scanning nature; ok, in luatex we can intercept things, but not in mkii
>>> Hans
>>
>> I thought that the number of calling \input inside text state is
>> limited---(only?) one example is a loading encoding definition file.
>> Why not to incorporate the cleverness of setting a default
>> \endinputchar to a macro that invokes \input?
>>
>>> \startreadingfile ... \stopreadingfile is an option then
>>
>> understand as a solution bypassing \input redefinition
> it all depends on the usage ...
> - most commands use \readfile, or \readjobfile or alike - when loading

yes, in this case \readsysfile inside:

\def\dododoincludepdffontresource#1% encoding
   {\bgroup
    \edef\currentencoding{#1}%
    \doifvaluesomething\pdffontfileresource
      {\startreadingfile
         \ignorelines % just in case \par is redefined;

\readsysfile{pdfr-\getvalue\pdffontfileresource}\donothing\donothing
       \stopreadingfile
       \letgvalue\pdffontfileresource\empty}%
    \egroup}

> modules of system files , we revert to tex catcode regimes etc
> user files ... well, here tex (context) does not know what is dealt
> with; take xml, in that case we want to stay in xml mode; or verbatim,
> which needs to set up verbatim
> actually this is all arranged already (and always has been)

catcodes yes, but \endlinechar not:

\def\startreadingfile% beter een every en \setnormalcatcodes
   {\doglobal\increment\readingfilelevel
    \the\everystartreadingfile
    \beginrestorecatcodes
    \setcatcodetable\prtcatcodes}

why not introduce something like

    \beginrestoreendlinechar

???

Vit

> your problem with the pdfr-enc file results from the fact that loading
> that file comes at a nasty moment and afaik loading now happens under
> the right regime; so, if there's a problem we need to find out what's
> the problem with that file, since it's unrelated to \input (loading
> that  vector is managed so to say)

> Hans

* Re: context file to publisher (was: docbook in context)
@ 2007-06-04 16:44           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-06-04 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/4/07, R. Ermers <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Well, you know: the publisher preferred a word document or rtf; he was
> quite puzzled by the Context codes.
> I then had to convert the text to xml, which he was more acostumed to.

Why don't you send pdf instead of "tex source code"  ?
As far I know, only fews accept tex code,
and it's latex code or ams code.

--
luigi

* Re: endlinechar redefinition
@ 2007-06-04 21:02             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vit.zyka; +Cc: ConTeXt, hajtmar

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Vit Zyka wrote:

>>> I thought that the number of calling \input inside text state is
>>> limited---(only?) one example is a loading encoding definition file.
>>> Why not to incorporate the cleverness of setting a default
>>> \endinputchar to a macro that invokes \input?

>>> understand as a solution bypassing \input redefinition
>> it all depends on the usage ...
>> - most commands use \readfile, or \readjobfile or alike - when loading
>
> yes, in this case \readsysfile inside:
>
> \def\dododoincludepdffontresource#1% encoding
>   {\bgroup
>    \edef\currentencoding{#1}%
>    \doifvaluesomething\pdffontfileresource
>      {\startreadingfile
>         \ignorelines % just in case \par is redefined;
>
> \readsysfile{pdfr-\getvalue\pdffontfileresource}\donothing\donothing
>       \stopreadingfile
>       \letgvalue\pdffontfileresource\empty}%
>    \egroup}
>
>> modules of system files , we revert to tex catcode regimes etc
>> user files ... well, here tex (context) does not know what is dealt
>> with; take xml, in that case we want to stay in xml mode; or
>> verbatim, which needs to set up verbatim
>> actually this is all arranged already (and always has been)
>
> catcodes yes, but \endlinechar not:
>
> \def\startreadingfile% beter een every en \setnormalcatcodes
>   {\doglobal\increment\readingfilelevel
>    \the\everystartreadingfile
>    \beginrestorecatcodes
>    \setcatcodetable\prtcatcodes}
>
> why not introduce something like
>
>    \beginrestoreendlinechar
\def\startreadingfile
  {\doglobal\increment\readingfilelevel
   \the\everystartreadingfile
   \pushendofline
   \restoreendofline
   \beginrestorecatcodes
   \setcatcodetable\prtcatcodes}

\def\stopreadingfile
  {\endrestorecatcodes
   \popendofline
   \the\everystopreadingfile
   \doglobal\decrement\readingfilelevel}

\let\normalstartreadingfile\startreadingfile
\let\normalstopreadingfile \stopreadingfile

there must have been a reason for not adding this, probably because when
we are in line by line mode we don;t want this; in the otr the
endlinechar is restored anyway

i'm a bit reluctant to just change these defaults because i cannot
forsee where it fails me

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: docbook in context
@ 2007-06-05  8:18         ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-06-05  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

I made a test file.

Run the file bndel-xml.tex.

The pdf file was too big for the list, even zipped, so I copied parts of
it in a text file.

Robert

[-- Attachment #2: test-context-in-docbook.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 5124 bytes --]

* docbook in context
@ 2007-06-07  7:43         ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-06-07  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

Has anybody found time to dive into the docbook-Context problem?

The problem is that all section headings dissappear when in a given
docbook section a table is placed. (Of course the document is validated
against the dtd.)

I am really puzzled by it, and it prevents me from using Context now.

Regards,

Robert

* Re: docbook in context
@ 2007-06-07  9:23           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-06-07  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/7/07, R. Ermers <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Has anybody found time to dive into the docbook-Context problem?
>
> The problem is that all section headings dissappear when in a given
> docbook section a table is placed. (Of course the document is validated
> against the dtd.)
it's in my todo list.e that
But I can't see it until Saturday

> I am really puzzled by it, and it prevents me from using Context now.

Please,note that you can always use the standard chain
xml:xslt ->[xsltproc] ->tex:tex->[context]->pdf
and with texexec one can "hide xsltproc"

For sure there is a pdf about that at pragma.

--
luigi

* Re: docbook in context
@ 2007-06-07 10:14             ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-06-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much indeed, Luigi.

I have been looking at the xml manuals of Pragma. I don't quite
understand what you mean with the standard chain.

I have been experimenting before with docbook -> fo, and fop, and I came
across valuable programs like Docman and Gemdoc. But I still prefer the
Context output.

I understand the mappings, but the Cals table mappings are more
complicated. (This is also explained by Simon Pepping
http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/29_7.pdf)
Perhaps this bug arose in a recent version of Context?

Robert

@ 2007-06-07 17:00               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-06-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting "R. Ermers" <r.ermers@hccnet.nl>:

> Thank you very much indeed, Luigi.
>
> I have been looking at the xml manuals of Pragma. I don't quite
> understand what you mean with the standard chain.

Hans has a This Way on using xsltproc to generate ConTeXt code, which
you can then process using context. I do not know if there is a docbook
xsl file with all the translations, or will you have to do that by hand.

Aditya

@ 2007-06-07 23:29                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-06-07 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0008.pdf