* Struggling with XeTeX
@ 2007-06-18 17:31 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-06-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl; +Cc: Hans Hagen

Hello Hans,

I've updated original TeXLive2007 distribution to the latest cont-tmf beta, by copying \web2c into TeXLive2007\texmf folder and every other stuff into TeXLive2007\texmf-dist folder. Then I rebuilded the format files for both context and xetex (texexec --make en, then  texexec --xtx --make en). Now  xetex doesn't see the font that it previously did. The setting

\definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Adobe Caslon Pro]

now gives

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6) (format=cont-en 2007.6.18)  18 JUN 2007 20:20
entering extended mode
\write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (WARNING: translate-file "natural.tcx" ignored)
**FMHelp.tex \emergencyend
(./FMHelp.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.06.06 09:53 MKII  fmt: 2007.6.18  int: english/english

! Font \*myface212ptrmtfrm*:='"mapping=tex-text at 12.0pt"' not loadable: insta
lled font not found.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...me \fontclass #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi \iftryingfont \...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                           \edef \fontstyle {\fontstyle }\if...

Best,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: Struggling with XeTeX
@ 2007-06-18 19:36 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-06-18 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Prompted by your post I've been hacking away at type-xtx.tex
My attached version seems to behave better (more like it was
before, that is). Can you give it a try?

At first, keep the new file in your local folder and just add

   \input type-xtx

at the top of your input file. If it you are satisfied that it
works at least somewhat, then you can copy it over the distributed
file in context/base and rerun

   texexec --make --xtx en

to make the change permanent.

I do not claim this is the final answer to this XeTeX font stuff,
but I have added some comments in the source that may help Hans
create better XeTeX support in a future ConTeXt.

Best wishes,
Taco

[-- Attachment #2: type-xtx.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 23769 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-xtx,
%D        version=2004.11.15, % prereleased earlier
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=\XETEX's font treasures,
%D         author=Adam T. Lindsay,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={Adam T. Lindsay / PRAGMA}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

%D Here are some fonts definitions that can get you started with
%D \XETEX (for more details see Adam's MyWay documents).
%D
%D Most typescripts in this file are mostly independent of the other
%D typescript files. Generally, you can speed things up a lot by
%D eliminating all but one of \CONTEXT's typescript files:
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \usetypescriptfiles[reset]     % HH: watch out, new feature, since
%D \usetypescriptfiles[type-siz]  % I disliked the low level redef.
%D \stoptyping
%D
%D The exceptions are the \quotation {legacy} fonts Times, Palatino,
%D Courier, and Helvetica, which also depend on \type {type-syn}.
%D
%D These following six typescripts call the basic four variants on any
%D given font, given the name of the \quotation {Regular} variant in the
%D name slot. These typescripts default to a Unicode encoding,
%D accepts sizes \quotation {default} and \quotation {dtp}, and are
%D activated with the identifiers \quotation {Xserif}, \quotation {Xsans},
%D and \quotation {Xmono}. They can have relative scaling within the
%D typeface. Any of the following work:
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \definetypeface[basic][rm][Xserif][Baskerville]
%D \definetypeface[basic][ss][Xsans] [Optima Regular][default][encoding=uc,rscale=.87]
%D \definetypeface[basic][tt][Xmono] [Courier]       [default]
%D \stoptyping
%D
%D Activate the typeface with:
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \setupbodyfont[basic]
%D \stoptyping

%D This file is hacked by Taco Hoekwater in an attempt to figure out the right approach
%D to font loading in \XeTeX.  (jun19,2007)

%D The General \XeTeX\ low-level font syntax is (at least) as follows.
%D
%D Named font:
%D \starttyping
%D \font\x = "<fontname><engine-options>:<featurelist>" <at or scaled>
%D \stoptyping
%D \type{<fontname>} = Font name as seen in a system font menu or the output of fc-list
%D
%D \type{<engine-options>} = \type{/B} or \type{/I} or \tupe{/BI}, and||or \type{/S=<X>}.
%D That last one selects an optical scaled variant for size \type{<X>}
%D (it is a bare number, the unit is points).
%D
%D \type{<featurelist>} = comma- or semicolon- separated list of font features.
%D
%D Opentype features are selected using \type{+<tag>}, and deselected using \type{-<tag>},
%D except that key||value pairs are used for \type{script=<tag>} and \type{language=<tag>}
%D
%D AAT features are always key||value pairs, often including spaces.
%D
%D \XETEX's own features are key||value pairs, and can be applied to both OpenType
%D and AAT fonts:
%D \type{mapping=<font map>} for glyph remapping
%D \type{color=RRGGBB[TT]} for color (hex numbers, with  optional transparancy),
%D
%D Full example showing all parts of the syntax for an OTF font:
%D \starttyping
%D \font\f= "Warnock Pro/I/S=5:+smcp,-liga,mapping=tex-text,script=latn"
%D \stoptyping

%D Non-installed (filename-based) fonts :
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \font\x = "[<fontname>]:<featurelist>" <at or scaled>
%D \stoptyping
%D
%D Here, there are no \type{<engine-options>}, because there is no
%D font discovery engine available to be queried.

%D TH: This \type{\xetexcolon} definition seems needed because the name/file \
%D parser otherwise drops the rest of the argument into oblivion.

\unexpanded\def\xetexcolon{:}

\starttypescriptcollection[xetex]

\starttypescript[Xserif][all][name]

%D TH: I removed all single quotes because they don't seem to add anything. And I added
%D the \type{name:} everywhere, because passing that information on \type{\typescripttwo}
%D doesn't work either (maybe  \type{\typescripttwo} is expanded incorrectly)
%D
%D And even if that would have worked, \type{file:} will not work properly anyway
%D in this case since tricks like \type{/I} will never, ever work for local fonts,
%d so there is really only one choice.

\definefontsynonym[Dummy]          [name:\typescripttwo\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]   [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummyItalic]    [name:\typescripttwo/I\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummyBold]      [name:\typescripttwo/B\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummyBoldItalic][name:\typescripttwo/BI\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [Dummy]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [DummyBold]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [DummyItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [DummyBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [DummyItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][DummyBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [Dummy]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xsans][all][name]

\definefontsynonym[DummySans]          [name:\typescripttwo\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]   [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummySansItalic]    [name:\typescripttwo/I\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummySansBold]      [name:\typescripttwo/B\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummySansBoldItalic][name:\typescripttwo/BI\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [DummySans]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [DummySansBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [DummySansItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [DummySansBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [DummySansItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][DummySansBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps]       [DummySans]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xmono][all][name]

\definefontsynonym[DummyMono]          [name:\typescripttwo]   [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummyMonoItalic]    [name:\typescripttwo/I] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummyMonoBold]      [name:\typescripttwo/B] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[DummyMonoBoldItalic][name:\typescripttwo/BI][encoding=uc]

\definefontsynonym[Mono]           [DummyMono]
\definefontsynonym[MonoBold]       [DummyMonoBold]
\definefontsynonym[MonoItalic]     [DummyMonoItalic]
\definefontsynonym[MonoBoldItalic] [DummyMonoBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[MonoSlanted]    [DummyMonoItalic]
\definefontsynonym[MonoBoldSlanted][DummyMonoBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[MonoCaps]       [DummyMono]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xserif][default][size]
  \definebodyfont
  [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,14.4pt,17.3pt] [rm]
  [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xsans][default][size]
  \definebodyfont
    [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,14.4pt,17.3pt]
    [ss] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Xmono][default][size]
  \definebodyfont
    [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,14.4pt,17.3pt]
    [tt] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xserif][dtp][size]
  \definebodyfont
    [5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,13pt,14pt,16pt,18pt,22pt,28pt]
    [rm] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xsans][dtp][size]
  \definebodyfont
    [5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,13pt,14pt,16pt,18pt,22pt,28pt]
    [ss] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[Xmono][dtp][size]
  \definebodyfont
    [5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,13pt,14pt,16pt,18pt,22pt,28pt]
    [tt] [default]
\stoptypescript

%D The following are \quotation {legacy} named fonts. Times, Palatino,
%D and Helvetica are familiar to most users of modern \TEX\
%D systems. These versions are accessed via the Unicode encoding
%D enabled by \XETEX. There is no attempt to match metrics with
%D the actual legacy fonts. These are simply familiar names.

%D These typescripts, unlike others in this file, depend on those in
%D \type{type-pre}.

\starttypescript[serif][times][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Times-Roman]     [name:Times Roman\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Times-Italic]    [name:Times Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]      [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Times-Bold]      [name:Times Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]        [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Times-BoldItalic][name:Times Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

%D Book Antiqua is Mac OS X's Palatino clone.

\starttypescript[serif][palatino][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Palatino]            [name:Book Antiqua\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]            [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Palatino-Italic]     [name:Book Antiqua Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Palatino-Bold]       [name:Book Antiqua Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Palatino-BoldItalic] [name:Book Antiqua Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\definefontsynonym[Palatino-Slanted]    [Palatino-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[Palatino-BoldSlanted][Palatino-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[Palatino-Caps]       [Palatino]

\stoptypescript

%D The default Helvetica doesn't have an oblique variant, so we'll
%D go ahead and name Helvertica Neue here.

\starttypescript[sans][helvetica][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Helvetica]            [name:Helvetica Neue\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]            [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica-Oblique]    [name:Helvetica Neue Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica-Bold]       [name:Helvetica Neue Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica-BoldOblique][name:Helvetica Neue Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

%D Courier, as delivered on MacOSX 10.3, doesn't have an oblique
%D variant, either. Unfortunately, none of the default Mono fonts in
%D MacOSX have oblique|/|italic versions!

\starttypescript[mono][courier][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Courier]            [name:Courier\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Courier-Oblique]    [Courier]
\definefontsynonym[Courier-Bold]       [name:Courier Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[Courier-BoldOblique][Courier-Bold]

\stoptypescript

%D The following fonts go beyond the usual four variants that
%D are accessible via the above wildcard typescripts, so they
%D get a more expanded treatment here\xetexcolon

\starttypescript[serif][hoefler][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Hoefler]      [name:Hoefler Text\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Ligatures=Diphthongs]  [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[HoeflerItalic][name:Hoefler Text Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Ligatures=Diphthongs]  [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[HoeflerBlack] [name:Hoefler Text Black\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Ligatures=Diphthongs]  [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[HoeflerBlackItalic][name:Hoefler Text Black Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Ligatures=Diphthongs]  [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[HoeflerSmCap] [name:Hoefler Text\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Ligatures=Diphthongs;%
                   Letter Case=Small Caps][encoding=uc]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][hoefler][name]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [Hoefler]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [HoeflerBlack]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [HoeflerItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [HoeflerBlackItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [HoeflerItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][HoeflerBlackItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [HoeflerSmCap]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][lucidagrande][uc]

\definefontsynonym[LucidaGrande]    [name:Lucida Grande\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaGrandeBold][name:Lucida Grande Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][lucidagrande][name]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [LucidaGrande]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [LucidaGrandeBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [LucidaGrande]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [LucidaGrandeBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [LucidaGrande]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][LucidaGrandeBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps]       [LucidaGrande]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][optima][uc]
\definefontsynonym[Optima]          [name:Optima Regular\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]    [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[OptimaItalic]    [name:Optima Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[OptimaBold]      [name:Optima Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[OptimaBoldItalic][name:Optima Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[OptimaBlack]     [name:Optima ExtraBlack\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][optima][name]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [Optima]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [OptimaBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [OptimaItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [OptimaBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [OptimaItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][OptimaBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps]       [Optima]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][gillsans,gillsanslt][uc]

\definefontsynonym[GillSans]           [name:Gill Sans\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]             [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[GillSansItalic]     [name:Gill Sans Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]      [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[GillSansBold]       [name:Gill Sans Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]        [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[GillSansBoldItalic] [name:Gill Sans Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[GillSansLight]      [name:Gill Sans Light\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[GillSansLightItalic][name:Gill Sans Light Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][gillsans][name]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [GillSans]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [GillSansBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [GillSansItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [GillSansBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [GillSansItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][GillSansBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps]       [GillSans]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][gillsanslt][name]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [GillSansLight]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [GillSans]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [GillSansLightItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [GillSansItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [GillSansLightItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][GillSansItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps]       [GillSansLight]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif,handwriting][zapfino][uc]

\definefontsynonym[ZapfinoOne]  [name:Zapfino\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]                  [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[ZapfinoTwo]  [name:Zapfino\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                                 Stylistic Variants=First variant glyph set] [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[ZapfinoThree][name:Zapfino\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                                 Stylistic Variants=Second variant glyph set][encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[ZapfinoFour] [name:Zapfino\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                                 Stylistic Variants=Third variant glyph set] [encoding=uc]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[handwriting][zapfino][name]

\definefontsynonym[Handwriting][ZapfinoOne]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][zapfino][name]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [ZapfinoOne]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [ZapfinoThree]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [ZapfinoTwo]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [ZapfinoTwo]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [ZapfinoThree]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][ZapfinoThree]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [ZapfinoOne]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif,calligraphy][applechancery][uc]

\definefontsynonym[AppleChanceryOne]    [name:Apple Chancery\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Number Case=Old Styles]                [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[AppleChanceryTwo]    [name:Apple Chancery\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Number Case=Old Styles;%
                   Design Complexity=Elegant Design Level][encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[AppleChanceryThree]  [name:Apple Chancery\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Number Case=Old Styles;%
                   Design Complexity=Flourishes Set A]    [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[AppleChanceryFour]   [name:Apple Chancery\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Number Case=Old Styles;%
                   Design Complexity=Flourishes Set B]    [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[AppleChanceryCaps]   [name:Apple Chancery\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Number Case=Old Styles;%
                   Letter Case=Small Caps]                [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[AppleChanceryCapsTwo][name:Apple Chancery\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text;%
                   Number Case=Old Styles;%
                   Letter Case=Small Caps;%
                   Design Complexity=Flourishes Set B]    [encoding=uc]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[calligraphy][applechancery][name]

\definefontsynonym[Calligraphy][AppleChanceryOne]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][applechancery][name]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [AppleChanceryOne]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [AppleChanceryThree]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [AppleChanceryTwo]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [AppleChanceryFour]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [AppleChanceryThree]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][AppleChanceryFour]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [AppleChanceryCaps]

\stoptypescript

% MS Office 2004 for Mac has impressive Unicode coverage in
% many of its fonts.

\starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman][uc]

\definefontsynonym[MSTimes]          [name:Times New Roman\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]            [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[MSTimesItalic]    [name:Times New Roman Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[MSTimesBold]      [name:Times New Roman Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[MSTimesBoldItalic][name:Times New Roman Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman][name]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [MSTimes]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [MSTimesBold]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [MSTimesItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [MSTimesBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [MSTimesItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][MSTimesBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [MSTimes]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][arial][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Arial]          [name:Arial\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]            [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[ArialItalic]    [name:Arial Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]     [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[ArialBold]      [name:Arial Bold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[ArialBoldItalic][name:Arial Bold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][arial][name]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [Arial]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [ArialBold]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [ArialItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [ArialBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [ArialItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][ArialBoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps]       [Arial]

\stoptypescript

%D MS Office comes with an installation of the Lucida family in
%D TrueType form. It's nice, except\dots\ no math, no slanted, no caps
%D and some other auxiliary fonts.

\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [uc]

  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright]              [name:Lucida Bright\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]         [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-Demi]         [name:Lucida Bright Demibold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-DemiItalic]   [name:Lucida Bright Demibold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-Italic]       [name:Lucida Bright\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]         [encoding=uc]

  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBrightSmallcaps]     [LucidaBright]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi][LucidaBright-Demi]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-Oblique]      [LucidaBright-Italic]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [lucida] [uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans]           [name:Lucida Sans Regular\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]        [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-Demi]      [name:Lucida Sans Demibold Roman\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text] [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-DemiItalic][name:Lucida Sans Demibold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-Italic]    [name:Lucida Sans Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]         [encoding=uc]

  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-Bold]      [LucidaSans-Demi]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-BoldItalic][LucidaSans-DemiItalic]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mono] [lucida] [uc]

  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-Typewriter]           [name:Lucida Sans Typewriter Regular]     [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-TypewriterBold]       [name:Lucida Sans Typewriter Bold]        [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-TypewriterBoldOblique][name:Lucida Sans Typewriter Bold Oblique][encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym [LucidaSans-TypewriterOblique]    [name:Lucida Sans Typewriter Oblique]     [encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [calligraphy] [lucida] [uc]

  \definefontsynonym[LucidaCalligraphy-Italic][name:Lucida Calligraphy Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

% No casual that I know of

\starttypescript[handwriting][lucida][uc]

  \definefontsynonym[LucidaHandwriting-Italic][name:Lucida Handwriting Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[fax][lucida][uc]

  \definefontsynonym[LucidaFax]           [name:Lucida Fax Regular\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]        [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaFax-Demi]      [name:Lucida Fax Demibold\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaFax-DemiItalic][name:Lucida Fax Demibold Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaFax-Italic]    [name:Lucida Fax Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]         [encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

%D Gentium is from SIL, the fine makers of \XETEX, and it's not only
%D very complete with Roman and Italic Unicode support, but very
%D attractive.

\starttypescript[serif][gentium][uc]

\definefontsynonym[Gentium]      [name:Gentium\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text]       [encoding=uc]
\definefontsynonym[GentiumItalic][name:Gentium Italic\xetexcolon mapping=tex-text][encoding=uc]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][gentium][name]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [Gentium]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [Gentium]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [GentiumItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [GentiumItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [GentiumItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][GentiumItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [Gentium]

\stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

\endinput

* Re: Struggling with XeTeX
@ 2007-06-19  7:48   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-19  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
>> Hello Hans,
>>
>> I've updated original TeXLive2007 distribution to the latest cont-tmf
>> beta, by copying \web2c into TeXLive2007\texmf folder and every other
>> stuff into TeXLive2007\texmf-dist folder. Then I rebuilded the format
>> files for both context and xetex (texexec --make en, then  texexec
>> --xtx --make en). Now  xetex doesn't see the font that it previously
>> did. The setting
>>
>> \definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Adobe Caslon Pro]
>
> Prompted by your post I've been hacking away at type-xtx.tex
> My attached version seems to behave better (more like it was
> before, that is). Can you give it a try?
>
> At first, keep the new file in your local folder and just add
>
>   \input type-xtx
>
> at the top of your input file. If it you are satisfied that it
> works at least somewhat, then you can copy it over the distributed
> file in context/base and rerun
>
>   texexec --make --xtx en
>
> to make the change permanent.
>
> I do not claim this is the final answer to this XeTeX font stuff,
> but I have added some comments in the source that may help Hans
> create better XeTeX support in a future ConTeXt.

ok, i merged these patches; eventually this will be changed to

\definefeature ... feature=...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Struggling with XeTeX
       [not found] <mailman.693.1182195663.2368.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-06-18 21:31 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-06-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl; +Cc: pragma, taco

Hello,

Taco and Hans, thank you both very much. You are not less but genius. :)

The patch from Taco runs smoothly. Now all system fonts I'm using are found without complaints. (BTW, I've never considered TeX seriously without XeTeX. System font support is Must Have for a Windows-minded user like me).

The beta ceased creating those annoying .rli files, and now says 'dimensions of myfig.png loaded from figurefile itself'. Great! I even don't need ImageMagic anymore.

Thank you and keep your good work!

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky