It took me quite a while to find the solution for this problem. By posting it here, I hope this will be useful to others. \completecontent set the list composed of the chapters with a previous call to: \setupcombinedlist[content][list=chapter] and the list of chapters and included sections with: \setupcombinedlist[list={chapter,section}] etcetera. Hans van der Meer On 16 Apr 2013, at 10:17 PM, "Meer, H. van der" > wrote: I am very sorry, but I still cannot understand how to get the TOC as I would like it. The following does typeset the Content header but is empty otherwise. \startfrontmatter \completelist[content][criterium=chapter] \stopfrontmatter I tried various possibilities from the reference manual, like \placelist[section][criterium=chapter]. But either this doesn't work (anymore?) or I am doing something very stupid. But these call do nothing. It seems so simple: use the \complete.. mechanism (because this wraps the TOC nicely) to typeset a selection from the TOC using the criterium-mechanism. Which seems to me just made for this sort of action. But nothing comes out of it. Hans van der Meer