From: Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>
To: jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: styling individual parts of ToC entry
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 08:57:36 +0200	[thread overview]

jbf schrieb am 07.09.2020 um 01:31:

> Yes, Wolfgang, that corrects the minor problem of including the author
> name correctly, even when there is no year range. Thank you.
>
> But since I use \title, not \chapter, for the frontmatter items, (
> Foreword, Preface, A note on Contributors), the ChapterListCommand
> clearly does not apply, so currently my ToC looks as follows (leaving
> out the pg numbers which correctly align right):
>

>                      Foreword
>                      A. Uthor
>                             Preface
>                      A. Uthor
>                              A note on contributors
> Chapter One        Year range
>                     A. Uthor
>
> What I want is for 'Foreword', 'Preface' and 'A note on Contributors'
> to align flushleft with Chapter One, but with author names still where
> they should be (Foreword and Preface have authors, 'A note...' does
> not have an author).
>
> So I tried creating a TitleListCommand which copies the
> ChapterListCommand. But where I run into difficulties then is with a
> new lot of \setuplist to accommodate that. There are three different
> labels involved (Foreword, Preface, and A note on Contributors).
>
> And why is it that even with the current setup, 'Foreword' has aligned
> with author name, not with 'Preface' and 'A note...'? All three are
> \title, after all.
>
> All in all this is a most complicated ToC! What I need is for the ToC
> to look like I show it below, and you will note the additional
> complication of Chapter Two which does not have an author, but instead
> it is the SECTIONS in the Chapter that have authors!
>
> I'm sure if I can get on top of all this somehow, no future ToC is
> ever going to cause me problems! The body of the book is all looking
> good, all 300 pages of it. It is just the automatically produced ToC
> that is causing the headaches.
>
> Foreword                    A. Uthor			pg no.
> Preface                     A. Uthor			"
> A note on Contributors                                  "
> Chapter One                 Chapter Title
>                              A. Uthor                    "
> Chapter Two                 Chapter title
> A section                   Context
>                              A. Uthor                    "
> Another section             Reflection
>                              A. Author                   "
>
> So what I have below as an MWE is fundamentally what you gave me (I
> have left out the correctly working ChapterListCommand), altered for
> \title, but I haven't got the setups below correct because I don't
> know how to do it. I have replaced unknowns with a question mark!
>
> And at the moment I have nothing for the 'sections' with authors I
> need for Chapter Two. I assume I would set up a third definition
> called \SectionListCommand. Sections will have different labels too -
> one will be called 'Context', the other 'Reflection'.
>
> \define[3]\TitleListCommand
>   {\hbox\bgroup
>      \hbox to 3cm{\currentlistsymbol\hss}% number + labeltext
>      \vtop\bgroup
> [...]

You need extra headings for the forward and preface

     \definehead [forward] [chapter]
     \definehead [preface] [chapter]

to have full control about their layout.

I can provide you a solution for your problems but you have to create a
complete minimal example (including forward and preface titles) first.

Wolfgang