* dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-13 18:07 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-13 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

CTAN has a new font package for dejavu fonts (http://ctan.org/pkg/dejavu).

The package contains original fonts (suitable for XeTeX and LuaTeX) as
well as many tfm files.

The author is willing to add support for ConTeXt. In my opinion it
would make more sense to support straight into the font package (like
it is done for Gentium) as opposed to adding them to ConTeXt core, but
I would first like to ask for opinion before sending anything to him.

If nothing else I have a question. How exactly should one split
"type-fontname" files in third-party font packages? ConTeXt core uses
type-one.mkii (pdftex), type-one.mkiv (empty), type-otf.mkii (xetex),
type-otf.mkiv (luatex), but that approach doesn't work with
    \usetypescript[type-name]

In Gentium we used \beginOLDTEX etc., but that is suboptimal.

Thank you,
    Mojca

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14  7:59 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-14  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.08.2011 um 20:07 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> Hello,
>
> CTAN has a new font package for dejavu fonts (http://ctan.org/pkg/dejavu).
>
> The package contains original fonts (suitable for XeTeX and LuaTeX) as
> well as many tfm files.
>
> The author is willing to add support for ConTeXt. In my opinion it
> would make more sense to support straight into the font package (like
> it is done for Gentium) as opposed to adding them to ConTeXt core, but
> I would first like to ask for opinion before sending anything to him.
>
> If nothing else I have a question. How exactly should one split
> "type-fontname" files in third-party font packages? ConTeXt core uses
> type-one.mkii (pdftex), type-one.mkiv (empty), type-otf.mkii (xetex),
> type-otf.mkiv (luatex), but that approach doesn't work with
>    \usetypescript[type-name]
>
> In Gentium we used \beginOLDTEX etc., but that is suboptimal.

For MkIV you can put the definition in “type-<font>.mkiv” and when
put “\setupbodyfont[<font>]” in your document ConTeXt loads the file
without the need for \usetypescriptfile.

When you want to support XeTeX and pdfTeX at the same time you have
to use \beginNEWTEX and \beginOLDTEX when you want both of them in
the same file but you can also put both in separate files where is
loaded from type-<font>.mkii

  \ifnum\texengine\pdftexengine
    \usetypescriptfile[type-<font>-pdftex]
  \else
    \usetypescriptfile[type-<font>-xetex]
  \fi

Wolfgang

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 12:30   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-14 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 09:59, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> For MkIV you can put the definition in “type-<font>.mkiv” and when
> put “\setupbodyfont[<font>]” in your document ConTeXt loads the file
> without the need for \usetypescriptfile.

Thank you. That is very useful to know.

> When you want to support XeTeX and pdfTeX at the same time you have
> to use \beginNEWTEX and \beginOLDTEX when you want both of them in
> the same file but you can also put both in separate files where is
> loaded from type-<font>.mkii
>
>  \ifnum\texengine\pdftexengine
>    \usetypescriptfile[type-<font>-pdftex]
>  \else
>    \usetypescriptfile[type-<font>-xetex]
>  \fi

Thank you. So no general guidelines about the desired approach exist?
(I'm thinking about type-one-<font>.mkii & type-otf-<font>.mkii.)

Mojca

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 14:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-14 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-8-2011 2:30, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 09:59, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> For MkIV you can put the definition in “type-<font>.mkiv” and when
>> put “\setupbodyfont[<font>]” in your document ConTeXt loads the file
>> without the need for \usetypescriptfile.
>
> Thank you. That is very useful to know.
>
>> When you want to support XeTeX and pdfTeX at the same time you have
>> to use \beginNEWTEX and \beginOLDTEX when you want both of them in
>> the same file but you can also put both in separate files where is
>> loaded from type-<font>.mkii
>>
>>   \ifnum\texengine\pdftexengine
>>     \usetypescriptfile[type-<font>-pdftex]
>>   \else
>>     \usetypescriptfile[type-<font>-xetex]
>>   \fi
>
> Thank you. So no general guidelines about the desired approach exist?
> (I'm thinking about type-one-<font>.mkii&  type-otf-<font>.mkii.)

Speaking for mkiv, some run time loading modules new get names like
*-imp-*.mkiv in order to avoid clashes with core (code) modules. At some
point I will probably rename some of the type-*.mkiv files (after all
imp is already supported there). Also, some font definitions might move
to lfg files (and some already are).

btw, dejavu is already defined in mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 15:17       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-14 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> btw, dejavu is already defined in mkiv
\b
I saw it in Wolfgangs' module, but I didn't check the core.

I see it now for MKIV, but the condensed variant is missing. May I
request adding the typescript for XeTeX and pdfTeX to the core then?

Mojca

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 15:54         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-8-2011 5:17, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> btw, dejavu is already defined in mkiv
> \b
> I saw it in Wolfgangs' module, but I didn't check the core.
>
> I see it now for MKIV, but the condensed variant is missing. May I
> request adding the typescript for XeTeX and pdfTeX to the core then?

I wasn't aware of a condensed variant so I need to look into it.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 17:50         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-8-2011 5:17, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> btw, dejavu is already defined in mkiv
> \b
> I saw it in Wolfgangs' module, but I didn't check the core.
>
> I see it now for MKIV, but the condensed variant is missing. May I
> request adding the typescript for XeTeX and pdfTeX to the core then?

Am I right that there is no monospace condensed (imo more useful than
the other condensed),

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 19:41           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-14 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 19:50, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Am I right that there is no monospace condensed (imo more useful than the
> other condensed),

Sadly that's the same conclusion that I came to earlier.

Mojca

* Re: dejavu fonts
@ 2011-08-14 22:07             ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-08-14 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14.08.2011, at 21:41, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 19:50, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> Am I right that there is no monospace condensed (imo more useful than the
>> other condensed),
>
> Sadly that's the same conclusion that I came to earlier.

Hi,

I just found http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.fonts.dejavu/4107

Greeting
	Andreas