From: Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Background image
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:11:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 19:47 +0200, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> No clue? How do I do that? What does it do?
>>>
>> It simply defines the size and position of these boxes (which then
>> become part of the document). In your case any(?) print shop then knows
>> where to crop, even without any crop marks.
>> See also
>>
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/technotes/pdfboxes.pdf
>>
>> and (only german; sorry, couldn't find it on the english wiki)
>>
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Angaben_der_Seitengeometrie
>>
>>> Basically Lulu will print a 9.25"x6.25" image onto their paper. Then a
>>> centered 9"x6" page will be cut from that. This way full bleed print is
>>> achieved.
>>>
>> if they don't use them, you don't need them :)
>>

> I can understand some basic German. I only live a couple of yards from
> the border.
>
> I guess my settings would be like this:
>
> Mediabox : 9.25" x 6.25"
is set by pdftex, so don't ever change this one!

> Cropbox  : 9.25" x 6.25"
or cropbox=trimbox

the cropbox sets the output size on the screen (what is shown); so if
you set it to the trimbox values, the outer bleed|media box part is no
longer shown on screen

> Bleedbox : 9.25" x 6.25"
> Trimbox  : 9.00" x 6.00"
> Artbox   : 9.00" x 6.00"

yes (as I understand it; I'm no printer)

> Should I supply metadata so pdfTeX can store this in the final PDF? If
> so, how do I do it?

I would suggest, that you don't use this for you current project.
There is no need to use low level commands here.

There is (at user level, but work in progress)

% (currently only a copy of the mediabox values)
\setupinteractionscreen
  [trimbox={[0 0 595.2756 841.8898]},% values are ignored
   cropbox={[0 0 595.2756 841.8898]},
  ]

and

% low level
\doPDFpageattribute{/TrimBox [0 0 595.2756 841.8898]}
\doPDFpageattribute{/BleedBox [0 0 595.2756 841.8898]}

The values are from one of my test files, so you have to calculate them
for your example. The first two values represent the lower left corner
(in pt), the last two values represent the upper right corner of the
box. Reference point is the lower left corner of the media box.
Bleedbox=Mediabox, Trimbox[ 0.125" 0.125" 6.125" 9.125"] (but in pt).

> But Lulu probably doesn't use them... They accept PDFs make with
> Word/PDF-Printer, so it can't be _that_ complex.
>
> Regards,
> Pascal de Bruijn

Good luck and success for your book.

Peter