* Background image
@ 2007-08-05 16:27 Pascal de Bruijn
From: Pascal de Bruijn @ 2007-08-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I'm trying to layout a book for Lulu.com. I'm working with a 9"x6" paper
size, which is going to be printed on 9.25"x6.25" stock paper to enable
full bleed printing.

I have managed to get a background image using a background layer.
However, I don't seem to be able to get it to the right size.

Sample files:
http://area42.pcode.nl/context/

In the PDF you can see, that I'm stuck with a white edge. I need the
background picture to fill my entire page with no white left. I also
need to crop marks to remain on top of the background image.

The supplied background image has the same height/width ratio as the
stock page. However I would like TeX to stretch the ratio if necessary.

I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to achieve this.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn
--
http://blog.pcode.nl/
http://www.linkselente.nl/

* Re: Background image
@ 2007-08-06  9:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-06  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to layout a book for Lulu.com. I'm working with a 9"x6" paper
> size, which is going to be printed on 9.25"x6.25" stock paper to enable
> full bleed printing.
>
> I have managed to get a background image using a background layer.
> However, I don't seem to be able to get it to the right size.
>
> Sample files:
> http://area42.pcode.nl/context/
>
> In the PDF you can see, that I'm stuck with a white edge. I need the
> background picture to fill my entire page with no white left. I also
> need to crop marks to remain on top of the background image.
>
> The supplied background image has the same height/width ratio as the
> stock page. However I would like TeX to stretch the ratio if necessary.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to achieve this.

width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight

maybe set set backgroundoffset to 1pt (slightly bleeding)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Background image
@ 2007-08-06 11:02 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-06 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pascal,

I spend more than one hour on this, to find a clean solution. So please
add this to the wiki.
And if you can, send my a copy of the nice background image (never mind
if not). I felt in love with this, while testing your example.

Anyhow, the cut markings are still lying under the picture (Hans?),
the rest should work. The automatical scaling of the image uses a tricky
method from this mailing list

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070719.232314.12cb4f5f.en.html

Best wishes, Peter

BTW: do you set a bleed|crop-box?

Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to layout a book for Lulu.com. I'm working with a 9"x6" paper
> size, which is going to be printed on 9.25"x6.25" stock paper to enable
> full bleed printing.
>
> I have managed to get a background image using a background layer.
> However, I don't seem to be able to get it to the right size.
>
> Sample files:
> http://area42.pcode.nl/context/
>
> In the PDF you can see, that I'm stuck with a white edge. I need the
> background picture to fill my entire page with no white left. I also
> need to crop marks to remain on top of the background image.
>
> The supplied background image has the same height/width ratio as the
> stock page. However I would like TeX to stretch the ratio if necessary.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to achieve this.
>
> Regards,
> Pascal de Bruijn

[-- Attachment #2: lulu.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3275 bytes --]

\definepapersize[Lulu-Print][width=6.00in,height=9.00in]
\definepapersize[Lulu-Stock][width=6.25in,height=9.25in]

%  [ paper ] [ printpaper ]
\setuppapersize[Lulu-Print][Lulu-Stock]
\setuplayout[location=middle,marking=on]

\setupbackgrounds[leftpage] [background={Watermark-Left,layer-with-marking}]% background doesn't work
\setupbackgrounds[rightpage][background={Watermark-Right,layer-with-marking}]

\definelayer[Watermark-Left]
[repeat=yes,width=\printpaperwidth,height=\printpaperheight,
 hoffset=-.5\dimexpr\printpaperwidth-\paperwidth,
 voffset=-.5\dimexpr\printpaperheight-\paperheight]
\definelayer[Watermark-Right]
[repeat=yes,width=\printpaperwidth,height=\printpaperheight,
 hoffset=-.5\dimexpr\printpaperwidth-\paperwidth,
 voffset=-.5\dimexpr\printpaperheight-\paperheight]

\setlayer[Watermark-Left][preset=topleft]
{\externalfigure[lowres][maxwidth=\printpaperwidth,maxheight=\printpaperheight,width=10in]}% width > maxwidth; value doesn't matter
\setlayer[Watermark-Right][preset=topleft]
{\externalfigure[lowres][maxwidth=\printpaperwidth,maxheight=\printpaperheight,width=10in]}

\starttext
\showframe

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Fus\-ce commodo. Curabitur quis metus. Cras
lacus ipsum, lacinia eu, eleifend in, pellentesque quis, tellus. Sed eget sem a ipsum nonummy
aliquam. Curabitur ut nibh a lectus sagittis bibendum. Praesent egestas sapien eu risus. Suspendisse
a quam. Nunc volutpat posuere orci. Duis ultrices cursus tellus. Phasellus ante sapien, pharetra ac,
malesuada condimentum, viverra sit amet, ligula. Donec nisl libero, placerat nec, euismod eget,
euismod lobortis, eros. Nam posuere interdum neque. Maecenas a lacus. Etiam semper viverra libero.
Proin ornare accumsan erat. Ut fringilla. Morbi pretium risus nec urna. Nunc nec ligula vel risus
sodales lobortis. Fusce consectetuer, risus elementum tincidunt vulputate, arcu turpis porta sem,
vitae feugiat arcu est non elit.

Nulla facilisi. Duis interdum quam ac purus. Morbi commodo lacus lacinia tortor. Suspendisse
potenti. Nullam dapibus risus at dolor. Donec ac felis eu urna varius venenatis. Quisque ac sapien
id quam tempor auctor. Donec vel ipsum. Phasellus lorem lacus, iaculis tristique, pellentesque
vitae, cursus sed, leo. Morbi massa metus, facilisis at, placerat a, varius in, justo. Vestibulum
vehicula consectetuer sapien. In sodales, orci ac convallis sollicitudin, pede ligula luctus erat,
ut elementum tellus libero vel urna. Sed scelerisque diam a leo vehicula nonummy.

Donec velit dui, volutpat ornare, auctor vel, ultricies eu, nulla. Aliquam quis nisi a nulla
tristique semper. Phasellus varius mi at sapien. Integer ornare, mi id consequat nonummy, sem purus
pellentesque nibh, eu lobortis neque elit a purus. Nullam nisi. Pellentesque cursus lectus lobortis
sem. Sed felis. Ut justo libero, malesuada non, congue sit amet, hendrerit eget, velit. Curabitur
iaculis, diam non tincidunt cursus, tortor odio varius mauris, sed pharetra augue urna ac erat.
Maecenas eu sapien. Suspendisse vel magna nec metus tempor consectetuer. Sed mollis tincidunt
lorem. Sed tempus adipiscing tellus. Sed elit odio, venenatis ac, dignissim at, vehicula eget, ante.

\stoptext

* Re: Background image
@ 2007-08-06 16:23   ` Pascal de Bruijn
From: Pascal de Bruijn @ 2007-08-06 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:02 +0200, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi Pascal,
>
> I spend more than one hour on this, to find a clean solution. So please
> add this to the wiki.

I will when I'm more comfortable with ConTeXt.

> And if you can, send my a copy of the nice background image (never mind
> if not). I felt in love with this, while testing your example.

I'm sorry, it's a commercial image. I don't own the copyright. However
it can be purchased at high resolution (color) for an affordable price:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/people_specific_attributes/race/mixed_background/3259587_old_paper_xxl.php?id=3259587

I hope the link doesn't break, if it does search for "Old Paper XXL".
iStockPhoto has lots of really good artwork available at reasonable
prices.

> Anyhow, the cut markings are still lying under the picture (Hans?),
> the rest should work. The automatical scaling of the image uses a tricky
> method from this mailing list
>
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070719.232314.12cb4f5f.en.html

Indeed, it would be nicer to have the cropmarks on top. Though this is
not essential to me. Lulu.com actually doesn't want crop marks.

> Best wishes, Peter
>
> BTW: do you set a bleed|crop-box?

No clue? How do I do that? What does it do?

Basically Lulu will print a 9.25"x6.25" image onto their paper. Then a
centered 9"x6" page will be cut from that. This way full bleed print is
achieved.

Though I'm still wondering about one thing: What's better in my case
\printpapersize or \overlaysize?

Thanks for your excellent help,
Pascal de Bruijn

--
http://blog.pcode.nl/
http://www.linkselente.nl/

* Re: Background image
@ 2007-08-06 17:47     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-06 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:02 +0200, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hi Pascal,
>>
>> I spend more than one hour on this, to find a clean solution. So please
>> add this to the wiki.
>
> I will when I'm more comfortable with ConTeXt.

ok. any help is welcome.

>> And if you can, send my a copy of the nice background image (never mind
>> if not). I felt in love with this, while testing your example.
>
> I'm sorry, it's a commercial image. I don't own the copyright. However
> it can be purchased at high resolution (color) for an affordable price:
>
> http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/people_specific_attributes/race/mixed_background/3259587_old_paper_xxl.php?id=3259587
>
> I hope the link doesn't break, if it does search for "Old Paper XXL".
> iStockPhoto has lots of really good artwork available at reasonable
> prices.

I see ('ll store the bookmark); I have similar (free) pictures, but not
in this quality.

>> Anyhow, the cut markings are still lying under the picture (Hans?),
>> the rest should work. The automatical scaling of the image uses a tricky
>> method from this mailing list
>>
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070719.232314.12cb4f5f.en.html
>>

> Indeed, it would be nicer to have the cropmarks on top. Though this is
> not essential to me. Lulu.com actually doesn't want crop marks.
>
>> Best wishes, Peter
>>
>> BTW: do you set a bleed|crop-box?
>
> No clue? How do I do that? What does it do?

It simply defines the size and position of these boxes (which then
become part of the document). In your case any(?) print shop then knows
where to crop, even without any crop marks.
See also

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/technotes/pdfboxes.pdf

and (only german; sorry, couldn't find it on the english wiki)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Angaben_der_Seitengeometrie

> Basically Lulu will print a 9.25"x6.25" image onto their paper. Then a
> centered 9"x6" page will be cut from that. This way full bleed print is
> achieved.

if they don't use them, you don't need them :)

> Though I'm still wondering about one thing: What's better in my case
> \printpapersize or \overlaysize?

I would prefer the printpaper sizes, as this is exactly what you want
(sizes are fixed). The power of the overlay sizes is, that they
automaticaly change with the environment. But this is not needed here.

> Thanks for your excellent help,
> Pascal de Bruijn

My pleasure!

Best, Peter

* Re: Background image
@ 2007-08-06 18:27       ` Pascal de Bruijn
From: Pascal de Bruijn @ 2007-08-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 19:47 +0200, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
> > Hi,
> > On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:02 +0200, Peter Rolf wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW: do you set a bleed|crop-box?
> >
> > No clue? How do I do that? What does it do?
> >
> It simply defines the size and position of these boxes (which then
> become part of the document). In your case any(?) print shop then knows
> where to crop, even without any crop marks.
> See also
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/technotes/pdfboxes.pdf
>
> and (only german; sorry, couldn't find it on the english wiki)
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Angaben_der_Seitengeometrie
>
> > Basically Lulu will print a 9.25"x6.25" image onto their paper. Then a
> > centered 9"x6" page will be cut from that. This way full bleed print is
> > achieved.
> >
> if they don't use them, you don't need them :)

I can understand some basic German. I only live a couple of yards from
the border.

I guess my settings would be like this:

Mediabox : 9.25" x 6.25"
Cropbox  : 9.25" x 6.25"
Bleedbox : 9.25" x 6.25"
Trimbox  : 9.00" x 6.00"
Artbox   : 9.00" x 6.00"

Should I supply metadata so pdfTeX can store this in the final PDF? If
so, how do I do it?

But Lulu probably doesn't use them... They accept PDFs make with
Word/PDF-Printer, so it can't be _that_ complex.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

--
http://blog.pcode.nl/
http://www.linkselente.nl/

* Re: Background image
@ 2007-08-06 20:11         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-06 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 19:47 +0200, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Pascal de Bruijn schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> No clue? How do I do that? What does it do?
>>>
>> It simply defines the size and position of these boxes (which then
>> become part of the document). In your case any(?) print shop then knows
>> where to crop, even without any crop marks.
>> See also
>>
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/technotes/pdfboxes.pdf
>>
>> and (only german; sorry, couldn't find it on the english wiki)
>>
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Angaben_der_Seitengeometrie
>>
>>> Basically Lulu will print a 9.25"x6.25" image onto their paper. Then a
>>> centered 9"x6" page will be cut from that. This way full bleed print is
>>> achieved.
>>>
>> if they don't use them, you don't need them :)
>>

> I can understand some basic German. I only live a couple of yards from
> the border.
>
> I guess my settings would be like this:
>
> Mediabox : 9.25" x 6.25"
is set by pdftex, so don't ever change this one!

> Cropbox  : 9.25" x 6.25"
or cropbox=trimbox

the cropbox sets the output size on the screen (what is shown); so if
you set it to the trimbox values, the outer bleed|media box part is no
longer shown on screen

> Bleedbox : 9.25" x 6.25"
> Trimbox  : 9.00" x 6.00"
> Artbox   : 9.00" x 6.00"

yes (as I understand it; I'm no printer)

> Should I supply metadata so pdfTeX can store this in the final PDF? If
> so, how do I do it?

I would suggest, that you don't use this for you current project.
There is no need to use low level commands here.

There is (at user level, but work in progress)

% (currently only a copy of the mediabox values)
\setupinteractionscreen
  [trimbox={[0 0 595.2756 841.8898]},% values are ignored
   cropbox={[0 0 595.2756 841.8898]},
  ]

and

% low level
\doPDFpageattribute{/TrimBox [0 0 595.2756 841.8898]}
\doPDFpageattribute{/BleedBox [0 0 595.2756 841.8898]}

The values are from one of my test files, so you have to calculate them
for your example. The first two values represent the lower left corner
(in pt), the last two values represent the upper right corner of the
box. Reference point is the lower left corner of the media box.
Bleedbox=Mediabox, Trimbox[ 0.125" 0.125" 6.125" 9.125"] (but in pt).

> But Lulu probably doesn't use them... They accept PDFs make with
> Word/PDF-Printer, so it can't be _that_ complex.
>
> Regards,
> Pascal de Bruijn

Good luck and success for your book.

Peter