* update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07  7:55 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm uploading an update. This fixes the missing texmfstart in the
windows related zips. I also added format generation entries in the
toolsmenu of scite. Because luatex runs from temp paths, you need to
regenerate a format after updating.

I also extended ctxtools --update (not tested).

luatools and mtxrun now accept a --selfupdate flag that will replace the
existing one in the bin path by the one in the script path

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07  8:36 ` Roy Zuo
From: Roy Zuo @ 2007-08-07  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the update. But the newer version of setuptex just does not
work for me. Commenting out all the "unset" sentences and it is fine
for me.

Roy

On 8/7/07, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm uploading an update. This fixes the missing texmfstart in the
> windows related zips. I also added format generation entries in the
> toolsmenu of scite. Because luatex runs from temp paths, you need to
> regenerate a format after updating.
>
> I also extended ctxtools --update (not tested).
>
> luatools and mtxrun now accept a --selfupdate flag that will replace the
> existing one in the bin path by the one in the script path
>

> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07 16:59 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-08-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm uploading an update.

Thank for MKIV. It looks pretty good. I am assuming that the speed
issues will be sorted out by the time of the final release.

> This fixes the missing texmfstart in the
> windows related zips. I also added format generation entries in the
> toolsmenu of scite. Because luatex runs from temp paths, you need to
> regenerate a format after updating.

Something is broken at the garden. It says luatools not found. Luatex
was working yesterday on the garden.

> I also extended ctxtools --update (not tested).

Some initial remarks.

* A newline is missing somewhere in luatools. I get

LuaTools | running command: luatex
--fmt="D:/Profiles/fkb384/LOCALS~1/Temp/luate
x-cache/context/30023ed61c3aac84b97b84c266f644dc/formats/cont-en"
--lua="D:/Prof
iles/fkb384/LOCALS~1/Temp/luatex-cache/context/30023ed61c3aac84b97b84c266f644dc/
formats/cont-en.lua" "test.tex"This is luaTeX, Version
3.141592-beta-0.10.1-2007
080317 (Web2C 7.5.6)

There should be a \n after "test.tex"

Also

LuaTools | runtime: 54.791 secondsTeXUtil | parsing file test.tui

there should be a \n after seconds.

* There is something wrong with typescripts.

\definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][charter][default][encoding=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext

gives me

<to be read again>                   \relax \xxdododefinefont ...tspec
{#4}\newfontidentifier
\let \localrelativefontsiz...
\fontstrategy ...me \fontclass #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                            \tryingfontfalse \fi <inserted text> ...yle
\fontalternative \fontsize
     \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...
\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                            \relax \fi \iftryingfont \...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                           \edef \fontstyle {\fontstyle }\if...
l.2 \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

The above code works fine with pdftex.

* I really like the new pretty printing module. The single quote
correct displays correctly. And the state machine for pretty printing
is much easier to understand in lua than it was in tex.

Aditya

* Re: update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07 17:05   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-08-07 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Something is broken at the garden. It says luatools not found. Luatex
> was working yesterday on the garden.

  Fixed.

* Re: update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07 19:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-07 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Quoting Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm uploading an update.
>
> Thank for MKIV. It looks pretty good. I am assuming that the speed
> issues will be sorted out by the time of the final release.

party, but keep in mind that control has its price (esp with regards to
fonts)

but we can gain some speed when traditional code is swapped by lua based
code

> * A newline is missing somewhere in luatools. I get
>
> LuaTools | running command: luatex
> --fmt="D:/Profiles/fkb384/LOCALS~1/Temp/luate
> x-cache/context/30023ed61c3aac84b97b84c266f644dc/formats/cont-en"
> --lua="D:/Prof
> iles/fkb384/LOCALS~1/Temp/luatex-cache/context/30023ed61c3aac84b97b84c266f644dc/
> formats/cont-en.lua" "test.tex"This is luaTeX, Version
> 3.141592-beta-0.10.1-2007
> 080317 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> There should be a \n after "test.tex"

some tricky interference between tex and lua (buffering) since the
newline is there

> * There is something wrong with typescripts.
>
> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][charter][default][encoding=texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

hm, maybe a missing font ... we're open type gyre now

> * I really like the new pretty printing module. The single quote
> correct displays correctly. And the state machine for pretty printing
> is much easier to understand in lua than it was in tex.

but .. work in progress -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07 19:28     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-08-07 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>> * There is something wrong with typescripts.
>>
>> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][charter][default][encoding=texnansi]
>> \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>
> hm, maybe a missing font ... we're open type gyre now

I am confused. I do not have open type version of charter. I thought
that it was still possible to use traditional type 1 fonts with mkiv.

The above code also fails on the garden, which means that it will fail
on traditional installations.

So, how do I use the free bitstream charter that ships with tex
distributions? I am using the context standalone distribution and have
afm version of charter (bchb8a.afm, bchbi8a.afm, bchr8a.afm,
bhcri8a.afm) and the pfb versions of the same fonts. I do not have otf
version of charter.

Aditya

* Re: update mkiv
@ 2007-08-07 20:05       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-07 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Quoting Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>
>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>>> * There is something wrong with typescripts.
>>>
>>> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][charter][default][encoding=texnansi]
>>> \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \input tufte
>>> \stoptext
>> hm, maybe a missing font ... we're open type gyre now
>
> I am confused. I do not have open type version of charter. I thought
> that it was still possible to use traditional type 1 fonts with mkiv.

should work, but for the moment wait till luatex is fixed for indexing
such fonts

btw, mkiv will not use the tfm files but the afm files

> So, how do I use the free bitstream charter that ships with tex
> distributions? I am using the context standalone distribution and have
> afm version of charter (bchb8a.afm, bchbi8a.afm, bchr8a.afm,
> bhcri8a.afm) and the pfb versions of the same fonts. I do not have otf
> version of charter.

well, in principle we no longer have font encodings, when the afm file
is found, it will be used and > 256 chars are possible then

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE