* Splitting footnotes
@ 2007-08-08  1:59 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2007-08-08  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, folks--

I am trying to typeset a book that has many footnotes; most of them are
of moderate length, but a few are terribly long[*]. I am trying to use
\setupfootnotes[split=*], but so far haven't got good results. You see,
there is only one footnote that really needs to be split across pages
(it takes up about two-thirds of a page); if I use [split=tolerant],
many footnotes get split, which I would like to avoid, but if I say
[split=strict], the longest one does not get split. I have also tried
numeric values, but that doesn't seem to do anything. So my
questions/comments are:

  1. What does a numeric value represent, and what is the range of useful
     values? I first tried fairly small values like 1, 10, 25, thinking
     it was the number of lines, then thought it might be a tolerance
     value (as in \badness), and tried 1000 and 10000. None of these
     numbers had any effect.

  2. It seems there is a very large gap between 'strict' and 'tolerant'.
     Might it not be a good idea to have four steps, e.g. 'verystrict',
     'strict', 'tolerant', and 'verytolerant'; or 'verystrict', 'strict',
     'medium', and 'tolerant'?

  [*] Of course, the ideal solution would be to edit or delete the overly
      long ones. However, I'm working with a well-known 19th century
      text. Thus, it's in the public domain and I can legally do
      whatever I want with it, but I don't feel it would be appropriate
      to make substantive alterations to the content.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-08-08  1:59 UTC | newest]